Scooby site ~ Gain muscle, Lose fat????

Options
When I entered all my info:

5'2" (62")
120 (+some days)
5/6 days strenuous excercise (wouldnt say this but guess it is as I workout 6 days (3 are lifting but I do tabata or hiit along with it) for about 60 minutes each then add about another 8000 steps to my day after.

BMR is 1175 (I know its low but I'm short and older so I'm not so lucky in eating alot more)

Then to gain muscle and lose fat it tells me I can eat 2024 a day. Seriously I can lose fat while gaining muscle? So far I have gained 8 lbs and about 8 inches all over.

Or to cut at 15% I can only eat 1724 or 10% cut is 1825.

I LOVE food and can definitely out eat hubbie sometimes but am short and nearing 40 so if you were in my shoes and you've been doing close to this calorie goal and gained all this which number would you choose? I would love to lose fat and really dont care about the scale as long as inches are decreasing.

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    has anyone tried that option on scooby? And did it work?
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help. I chose the 15% option. I'd be interested in anyone who did build muscle, lose fat too.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I ate 2400 cals today with 500 cardio so I netted 1900 (I'm short so this is alot) and was playing around with the site and saw that option so it made me think i could definitely eat this much everyday if it means I would indeed lose fat. Just want to get this off my body but when it comes to food I have no control...lol.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    I think idea behind this is you need to eat above your TDEE in order to build muscle and along with building muscle you will lose fat because you burn more calories at rest if you have more muscle mass. I'm sure the 'experts' have much more info on this!

I also think anewLucia was talking about eating above TDEE to build muscle for a couple of months and then eating at a TDEE-15% for a couple of months to lose more fat during that time.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    The way I've been eating I dont think I could ever cut my calories...lol. Seriously. Without feeling deprived I dont think I can do a cut.

P.s. am I the only one with no self-control with cals? I hear so many say they struggle to get to their goal. I WISH I had that problem.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Okay as I did before I found another on bodybuilding.com that their (Michelle Hanson) cutting regime is only 998 calories!!! She works out 3 times a week with lifting and each of those 3 days she does 3 45 minutes sessions of cardio on top of lifting. i think I would die!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Wow yeah, I would die.

Since you have ten pounds to lose (per your ticker) I would either pick 10 or 5% or even the build/lose option. Forget the scale and go for looks and performance. Go by pant size, belt size, bikini hotness- anything other than the scale at this point because it is SO going to lie to you.

I've got tons left to lose so I'll most likely see some weight loss while I lose size- you might not. There are tons of stories of folks who lose inches while gaining weight- they're all closer to goal than I am.

If what you're doing isn't working- and you've been sure to calculate correctly and give it a good solid two months to work- then time to tweak in my opinion. Take a 5% cut and see how that rocks your casbah- give it a while and try it out. If you don't like it- then don't keep doing it after the trial- no harm no foul.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thats the problem I look fatter and wider, clothes are tighter, I've gained 8 lbs and 8". Soooo something isnt working for me. My ticker was almost to my goal. I was 2 lbs away.
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You know that I'm FAR from an expert but wanted to chime in on my thought. After reading your info, I think the scooby site takes your exercise calories into account, so I wouldn't eat them back. I know that's probably heartbreaking ;). I hope you find your balance, b/c we're almost the same :).
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Thats the problem I look fatter and wider, clothes are oighter, i've gained 8 lbs and 8". Soooo something isnt wokring for me. My ticker was almost to my goal. I was 2 lbs away.

How long have you been eating more? Are you consistently hitting your goal? I thought I was- but a quick tour through my diary said otherwise. A 100 here, 200 there- by the end of the week I was averaging an extra 600 cals gone.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Do the 15% option....The gain muscle but lose fat is really a maintenance number on there...That is to maintain the weight you are at...If you are still trying to lose at all....Stick with the 15%...
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thats the problem I look fatter and wider, clothes are oighter, i've gained 8 lbs and 8". Soooo something isnt wokring for me. My ticker was almost to my goal. I was 2 lbs away.

How long have you been eating more? Are you consistently hitting your goal? I thought I was- but a quick tour through my diary said otherwise. A 100 here, 200 there- by the end of the week I was averaging an extra 600 cals gone.
    Oh yeah I've been to my goal for sure. I think my problem is I need self control.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    You know that I'm FAR from an expert but wanted to chime in on my thought. After reading your info, I think the scooby site takes your exercise calories into account, so I wouldn't eat them back. I know that's probably heartbreaking ;). I hope you find your balance, b/c we're almost the same :).

Yep I dont eat them back (because I have the TDEE # in there)unless my net goal is less than BMR which is almost never...lol.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When I entered all my info:

5'2" (62")
    120 (+some days)
    5/6 days strenuous excercise (wouldnt say this but guess it is as I workout 6 days (3 are lifting but I do tabata or hiit along with it) for about 60 minutes each then add about another 8000 steps to my day after.

BMR is 1175 (I know its low but I'm short and older so I'm not so lucky in eating alot more)

Then to gain muscle and lose fat it tells me I can eat 2024 a day. Seriously I can lose fat while gaining muscle? So far I have gained 8 lbs and about 8 inches all over.

Or to cut at 15% I can only eat 1724 or 10% cut is 1825.

I LOVE food and can definitely out eat hubbie sometimes but am short and nearing 40 so if you were in my shoes and you've been doing close to this calorie goal and gained all this which number would you choose? I would love to lose fat and really dont care about the scale as long as inches are decreasing.

I also used the scooby site and it gave me a higher BMR, which I find odd now since I'm older and shorter than you are. Of course, being at 135 lbs. may be the difference. I had a TDEE of 1957, since I listed moderate activity. If I do a 15% deficit, it gives me 1663. I'm with you on the caring more about losing inches, rather than the number on the scale. So, I'm going to work my way up to eating the 1957. Maybe as I'm working up, I'll lose a couple of pounds. :wink:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Okay FINALLY feel better about myself. I have set my goals on my profile page and will stick to it and see what happens. I got my info from scooby site. I used the katch-mcardle because mifflin gave me such a low BMR and my body fat is 22%.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Okay FINALLY feel better about myself. I have set my goals on my profile page and will stick to it and see what happens. I got my info from scooby site. I used the katch-mcardle because mifflin gave me such a low BMR and my body fat is 22%.

*gets out pom poms*
    GO TEAM FAITH!!!
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The way I've been eating I dont think I could ever cut my calories...lol. Seriously. Without feeling deprived I dont think I can do a cut.

P.s. am I the only one with no self-control with cals? I hear so many say they struggle to get to their goal. I WISH I had that problem.

My problem is not hitting my goal calories, it's hitting my goal calories with healthy foods and not the constant barrage of cookies and birthday cake that makes its way around my office!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

*gets out pom poms*
    GO TEAM FAITH!!!

LOL!!! Thankyou!!! :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

My problem is not hitting my goal calories, it's hitting my goal calories with healthy foods and not the constant barrage of cookies and birthday cake that makes its way around my office!

Thats so very true!!! If I stuck to fruits and veggies and did a better job to stay away from packaged food I think I would have an issue too. So I will see. BUT then I wouldnt have a problem eating a whole avocado and nuts galore either...lol.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I ate 2400 cals today with 500 cardio so I netted 1900 (I'm short so this is alot) and was playing around with the site and saw that option so it made me think i could definitely eat this much everyday if it means I would indeed lose fat. Just want to get this off my body but when it comes to food I have no control...lol.

I'm confused by what you are saying between this and your statement that you aren't eating back your exercise calories. If your TDEE cut is 1700-1900, then just EAT that amount, don't net that amount. If you are EATING 2400 calories, it sounds like that is above your TDEE, which will make you gain.

Also the Scooby site gain muscle/lose fat option is the 'mainain' option. I'm not sure why it lists it that way though.