Just need to rant to someone who understands...

Options
I spent last weekend in a low-income part of our city building a community garden. 80 degrees, no shade to be found, building and shoveling manure & top soil all day. So I figured it was my oppurtunity to safely eat a bagel on Saturday, and a bun with my turkey burger on Sunday.

Boy, was I wrong! I gained 5 pounds!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!? Stupid carbs. I thought it was water retention but it's 2 days of exercise, super healthy eating and lots of water drinking later and it's still at 4.5lbs.

Sometimes I really wish I could just be normal for a little while!!!

:sad: :mad: :grumble:

Replies

• heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't we all.. Don't worry, it is just a little set back.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ah, so sorry. That happens to me when I eat out. Its usually salt that does me in. :flowerforyou:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    been there, done that. I have been so used to over eating and being hungry all of the time from my thyroid that I am still learning how to eat now that my thyroid is 1/2 gone. It takes time to retrain yourself. You are normal, don't worry you will not start to grow extra digits or some such thing.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! I took my daughter out for a mom and daughter day. We had lunch - I ate a turkey panini and a salad and I had ONE small slice of cake. I rode my horse all weekend, worked in the garden and fired up my elliptical machine. I gained 4lbs. My other MFP friends say - "Its not a real gain, its water weight" but they dont understand that it IS a real gain and it will take me two weeks to get rid of it. Two weeks of strict diet and lots of exercise. I should be able to eat one small piece of cake and not gain weight. I cant eat carbs like that - I have to stay within my limit (50 net) or I will NOT lose weight. Its very frustrating and I definitely sympathize with you.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    thanks everyone! Mindy - so true! My friends keep trying to tell me it's just bloat... bloat doesn't stick around for 2 weeks! They don't get it though. You guys do :flowerforyou:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! Mindy - so true! My friends keep trying to tell me it's just bloat... bloat doesn't stick around for 2 weeks! They don't get it though. You guys do :flowerforyou:

Sorry!! I know that carbs attract water - it's how fast you can get of the extra water that counts. I used to ride a bike for 5 hours and the next day would be 4 pounds heavier. It hung around for a long time....

Try putting lemon juice (fresh or Reallemon) in some water with ice and stevia (or sweetener if you use it). It gets rid of the water accumulation from carbs for me.

Terri
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    good tip!!! some stevia lemonade would be great for the summer, too!
    is it the acidity, or something about the lemon? do you think lime would work just as well?
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    good tip!!! some stevia lemonade would be great for the summer, too!
    is it the acidity, or something about the lemon? do you think lime would work just as well?

I don't think lime does the same thing -- but believe me you will tinkle more if you have lemon juice in the morning. I start every day with it!! And I have a lot less bloating!

Terri
  • kagero1976
    kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat gluten or oatmeal, I gain a pound or two within a day. It usually takes several days to a week for that bloat/inflammation to fall off. Blarg.