Phase 1 Induction

Options
Hi, Im Stephanie. Currently I am 214 lbs and have a goal to be 140. According to the Atkins site, I need to stay in Induction until I reach 155 (15 lbs from my goal weight). I started this group to find other people who have been on this plan and can share advice. I plan to follow this diet in a healthy manner, including plenty of vegtables while staying under my 20 carbs alloated day, and choosing turkey meat in the place of red meat when I can, to watch my fat grams. Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie! I am new to this site, but I would like to add you to my groups...I love Atkins and have done it off/on for years! (am an old hand at it, so to speak! :-) So I can help you if you would like any of my views, etc. or of course my support! Currently my goal is to lose 15 stubborn pounds and I am currently counting calories and stepping up my cardio, but do like to keep it pretty low carb! (with chicken breasts, vegetables, eggbeaters, hard boil eggs, tuna, lots of salads...) in fact I am back on strict low carb today thru the weekend becuz I am staying with my daughter for a few days and we will be doing a lot of eating out. If I try to stick to low carb then I won't come home Sunday night with gaining the usual 5 lbs I usually do from eating whatever I want. The low carb keeps me in check, it's pretty easy to follow. You eat those allowed foods, and that's it!! Back in the early days when I was doing Atkins it helped me to pick up one of the Atkins Diet Revolution paperbook books, it really explained a lot about how it all works. Or find one of the low carb sites; they have a lot of good recipes, hints, etc. Anyway, have a great weekend and good luck!
  • coffeelover1624
    Options
    I pretty much always stay under the 20 carbs (which was two years last time). Be sure that you do not cut out too much fat from your diet. You need to be trying to eat about 65% of your calories from fat, 30% from protein, and 5% from carbs. Since I am not always good about eating as many veggies as I should I take a fiber gummie (Vitafusion sugar free fiber gummies) which has 5 carbs but 5 dietary fiber so it cancels out. I treat them as my dessert lol. Keep me updated on your progress.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    She is right about the fats! This diet doesn't work for me if I try to cut the fats too low; I still eat butter and mayo and can lose weight.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am happy to find you guys- I have had success in the past with Atkins but since I hit menopause I have a hard time losing weight. I was doing Body by Visalus shakes for two meals then chicken and vegetables for supper but the scales aren't really doing much. I have been thinking about going back to Atkins. I am diabetic and my dr. actually said Atkins is good for me because it cuts out starches. Maybe if I have someone supporting me I can do good at it again!
  • lynvic
    lynvic Posts: 4
    Options
    I also have always had success on this diet. First time I lost 20 lbs. in less than a month. That was a few years ago and since I've cut out carbs for the most part. But since hitting menopause even this diet doesn't work so well for me. What I am finding that works best is the counting calories on this site. If I record everything I eat for the day and keep it just below my calorie allowance I steadily lose the weight. This is also watching my carb intake. Good luck on your journey!
  • aathom11
    aathom11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am starting Atkins tomorrw wish me luck!!
  • Lynne120
    Lynne120 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lynne... new to this group. I have been following a low carb diet since February, and have had success. I really love the way I get to eat and it fits in really well with my lifestyle. I've hit a plateau and asked my doctor for some advice to climb out of it. He suggested I go with an "old school Atkins" approach. He also suggested I stay on the induction phase until I get half my weight off. Forget the shakes and bars and stick to real food with real fats. I'm hoping to have much more success, I really feel this is the answer for me.

I would extra support....... I would love to give support to others!
  • juicengrilledcheese
    juicengrilledcheese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, started induction a couple of days ago. Wondering how it has been going for everyone here. I am at 212.6 today. Was 214 two days ago when I started and recently went up to 219. Goal weight is 139 eventually. I would really like to lose 30 pounds in the next six weeks. That's about 6 pounds a week. Do you think it's possible?
  • goal2B140
    goal2B140 Posts: 29
    Options
    I think everyone loses at different paces, I saw one website where someone lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks. I think it just depends on your acitivity level and how much you have to lose. I think it could be possible. I know people say losing more then 2 lbs a week isn't healthy, but I think myself being obese isnt healthy either.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm just starting Atkins induction today (after *gaining* every single time I have tried to "diet" in the past 5 years...... yeah, THAT feels good lol) but I do have some experience with Atkins. Years ago I did Atkins successfully and lost at least 40 pounds, probably more (it was so easy at that point that I stopped even weighing myself at one point!) and I don't remember how fast the weight came off, but it was certainly fast enough that I was motivated to not only keep it up but also not care anymore (which is REALLY rare for me)

Of course, I tried Atkins 5 years ago (approx) and I gained weight. I think I was relying too heavily on bars etc though which, in retrospect, may have been the problem. I know some people use them easy sailing, but this time I will give it a fair shot without them first, and maybe only use them in emergencies. =) My doctor tells me my hormones are out of whack (used to have PCOS also), thyroid is sluggish, and apparently am insulin resistant she thinks, so this low-carb way of life makes sense for more than just weight loss. I of course, would just rather look good in shorts than be able to say I wasn't insulin resistant, but if it makes my doctor and myself happy, so be it =D

Best of luck!
  • goal2B140
    goal2B140 Posts: 29
    Options
    I did my weigh in for the week. Im 205, started at 214. I slipped a couple of times and had the bad carbs... Im committed today to re-starting phase 1 and following it to the letter until I reach 155... hows everyone else doing?
  • cruiselady1977
    cruiselady1977 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In week 2...not doing so well. I cannot get my carbs under control.
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have just completed my two week induction and started at 226 and I am now 213.
    Lost 9lb in week one and 4lb in week two.
    Love atkins, having only just discovered how great low carb can be, always listened to the nay sayers before and was put off trying.
    I cannot imagine me eating any other way now.

Would love to be friends and help and recieve support each other throughout our journeys!
    :flowerforyou:
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been low-carbing it for about 4 months now on and off. I have managed to lose about 18lbs. I know I would have better results if I stuck with the program and not let my willpower crumble. I want to be at my goal weight of 145-150lbs before Christmas this year, so that means I have 7 months to lose approx 60lbs which is very doable. I always allowed myself to have one "cheat meal" a week so that I could stay on track. I have found that the one cheat meal turns into 4!! Not good....so I need to kick myself in the butt and start sticking with it more cautiously if I want to see results.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi lovelies! Well let's see I was following Atkins (so so) for 2 months and lost 25lbs...now just this week I began induction! I drink tons of water eat my veggies exercise even if its just walk I usually do kickboxing 30 day shred Zumba jogging boxing or something else a couple times a week...lately 30 day shred and jogging this "way" of life makes me feel amazing I have more energy my tummy is flatter and my skin is glowing!

Wish u guys the best!
    Sw 200
    1st weigh in after two months175
  • zubenelekrab
    Options
    Hello fellow atkin divas, I have been on induction for 1 week and half now.I can see a little change but not overwhelming..so I m going to stick to induction for some more time. I eat a little fruit which must hike the carbs to 40 :(. Also could someone advise me on flax seeds.. Can I have it on induction?

SW- 187 lbs
    Goal-lose- 35-40 lbs
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am starting my induction phase as of TODAY!! I have done atkins before and lost weight very well but gave up due to the energy drag. I am ready for that and I am motivated to push through it. I can use all the help I can get, my main issues with this diet is breakfast, cause lets face it eggs get old!! So any other ideas would be great (im not the best cook, lol) Ive been doing low carb since starting dieting again but need to get more focused and controlled and I have alot to lose so will be in induction for a while!
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm on Day 8 of Atkins. This is my 2nd time trying the diet. The first time I did it, I lost 20 lbs, but gained it back when summer vacation ended and I went back to college (eating junk food at midnight). Now that I'm done with college, I'm confident I can stick with the plan. I tend to lose weight in bursts, so hopefully I can get closer to my goal weight soon and get off Induction!
  • rosiep0106
    rosiep0106 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there! I started Atkins on Jan. 9th and so far I'm down 29lbs, but still have alot to go!. The first few weeks went pretty well but the last 3-4 weeks have been tough - the scale hasnt moved much but i do feel like I am losing inches. New to MFP and would love some low carbin friends to connect with so please feel free to add me and we can encourage each other.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Melanie, I started Induction on May 10 and have lost about 7 lbs total so far. I lost the whole 7 lbs at the end of week 1 and haven't lost anything since then?! Im scared Im not doing something right....but I haven't faltered at all. So Im just going to stick with it. My SW-232 GW 145 ish.