Enough of this Diabetes!

Options
gogetmike
gogetmike Posts: 12 Member
Hello new friends! I am pretty excited that this community site is available to share your diabetic experiences and mine.I have been a type2 diabetic for 5 years and truly have had my ups and downs with this disease. I had no real support outside of my family and live in a small town, so this message board is a godsend for me!.

.I truly have reached a breaking point two days ago when I reviewed the results of my blood test with my Doc. a1c was 9,5 and had a fasting glucose of 224, Not good and I nearly broke down and cried at the docs office. He was ready to change my meds, but I told him no, and to give me three months to get his under control. Curently on metformin and glipizide, but truth be told I have only been taking them in the morning and sometimes miss a day or two. I kind of watch my diet and had been doing nothing on the fitness side of thngs. That's where I was two days ago.

For starters, I am adopting a low fat vegan diet and beginning to walk for my exercise. I have read ".Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes," and it seems to make sense and am hoping to replicate some of the successes touted in the book. it advocates a low fat vegan diet and states that fat, simple carbohdrates and animal protien are the culprits for a diabetic type 2's bloodstram being out of whack. Inactivty, genetics are factors as well.

So here I am a portly 238 poiunder who accepts my Doc's challenge to bring my counts down, live healthy and change my life. So, I encourage you to reply and lets all try to beat this horrible disease together. I'll let you know how I am doing as we move forward. Hang in there and thank you for reading!!

Michael

Replies

• travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

I've heard of Dr. Barnard's plan, but have never known anyone who followed it. I'll be interested to see the results you see from it.

I'm not sure how easily this meat-eater would be able to adapt to a vegan diet. Luckily, I've been able to get and keep my numbers under tight control eating plenty of animal protein.

Good for you for deciding to take it serious. Taking your meds only half the time, kind of watching your diet, and not exercising is not the way we'll beat this disease.

Best of luck to you.
  • Bevigal
    Bevigal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!! I have been a type 2 diabetic for 8 yrs and I too have had lots of ups and downs. What has helped me the most is portion control. I eat 6 small meals a day and maybe a couple snacks. My doctor had me get some small foam bowls and only eat what you can get in the bowl and not to over fill the bowl. It took me about a month to get used to the idea but it has really made me conscious of how much I eat. Keep us posted on your vegan diet.:flowerforyou:
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been type 2 for over 10 years. As the years have gone on, I've needed more and more medication to continue to manage. Many of the meds can cause weight gain, as well as the advancing years.... So I am here to get my weight under control to minimize the amount of meds I need. (And get better control.) I am not following any strict diet that limits food groups. Just portion control, counting calories, and limiting the number of carbs at any one meal.

Having battled this for a long time, I think the key is finding a plan you can live with long term, (not just a "diet"), and then constant vigilance to make sure you are following it. That's why I love mfp so far. My past mistakes have been thinking I could get away with eating more and exercizing less, without really tracking what I was doing.

Best of luck in this journey. This is a great community for support. Feel free to send a friend request if you'd like.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are taking your diabetes seriously. Walking or any exercise is great for your glucose levels.

I have had diabetes for 13 years plus both pregnancies. I believe in eating to my meter and taking whatever meds I need to keep my glucose levels under control. Just because you take a med for a while doesn't mean you can't get off of it when you don't need it anymore. Even insulin is not a permanent thing. I was on insulin in the hospital a few month ago (I had surgery) and then they sent me home to continue with my met.

I love meat and cheese a lot so never could go vegan but for some people it does work. My radical diet change is low carb although I'm starting to try adding them back a little at a time.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome :)
    i'm pretty new to type 2 myself, diagnosed last year on my (44th) birthday (what a present).
    Currently i'm on metformin in the evenings (i have issues with high morning readings), as well as Victoza.
    In March, I too decided to get serious about trying to rid myself of this monkey on my back. Watching my food intake, doing zumba and other exercise. My a1c was down to 5.8 at my last appointment. I'm hoping to dump some meds at the next one :)

I hope that the vegan works for you. I couldn't do it....i'm an animal lover (yummy) lol

Please do keep posting on your progress.
  • gogetmike
    Options
    Hello all,

Thanks for your comments and support! As soon as I get a little more tech savvy, I'll reply to each of you individually!

It's been a week since I adopted a vegan diet and seen my gluc level as low as 97. I've dropped my fasting gluc from 236 to 120. Also lost a couple of pounds and have been walking every weekday! Gardening takes the better portion of my weekend!

Beans, rice, pasta and tons of veggies with lots of Indian style sauces have been keeping me true to a meat free diet! Looking forward to week two and will report back!

One day at a time!
  • gogetmike
    Options
    Oh boy do I need to get recommited to exercise after this weekend! It's tough to take the first step, but I will. I signed up for a Biggest Loser Competition at work and my team said Atkins was the way to go. I laughed and said I am just starting my 3rd week of a vegan diet and seems to be working for me!

Blood sugar was at 94, but averaging 128 last week. My goals are to walk everyday starting today, to lose another pound and a half and to get my average to 115.

Here I go!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I need to get recommited to exercise after this weekend! It's tough to take the first step, but I will. I signed up for a Biggest Loser Competition at work and my team said Atkins was the way to go. I laughed and said I am just starting my 3rd week of a vegan diet and seems to be working for me!

Blood sugar was at 94, but averaging 128 last week. My goals are to walk everyday starting today, to lose another pound and a half and to get my average to 115.

Here I go!

Go for it mike!!
  • Gloria415
    Gloria415 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you in finally doing something about my diabetes. I am suppose to be on medication but the meds make me so sick and all thou I have seen the endo and she changed my meds. they still make me feel sick. I have not told the dr. that I am not taking the medications. I have been seeing a dietitian and I am following the meal plans and guess what else I am doing? I joined the gym!! Yes, I joined the gym and I am loving it. Couldn't imagine myself ever saying that. I go 5-6 times a week I don some weights but most importantly I do 6 miles on the elliptical. I set my goal to 1 hour of cardio.
    I have been losing weight, slowly but surely.

I have been monitoring my BS and before breakfast it's been 114, around lunch time 96 and dinner about 120. I have been doing this for 2.5 months. I am going to get my blood work done this week and I hope my A1C has gone down. The last time I got it checked it was at 8.1. I went from 197 to 177 lbs.

If my A1C has not improved I am considering having a bariatric surgery to help with the diabetes.

It's hard but I know you can do it. I hope I can too.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Hello all,

Thanks for your comments and support! As soon as I get a little more tech savvy, I'll reply to each of you individually!

It's been a week since I adopted a vegan diet and seen my gluc level as low as 97. I've dropped my fasting gluc from 236 to 120. Also lost a couple of pounds and have been walking every weekday! Gardening takes the better portion of my weekend!

Beans, rice, pasta and tons of veggies with lots of Indian style sauces have been keeping me true to a meat free diet! Looking forward to week two and will report back!

One day at a time!

How different each one of us is...I cannot eat rice, beans or pasta without seeing a spike. I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution, he is a leans and greens type a guy and for whatever reason, I do better on leans and greens with a little fruit, specifically berries. Anyhow, good luck to you!
  • gogetmike
    Options
    Good Walk today and I actually met a Doctor on my walk! BONUS! He and I are going to get together and start walking once I get to his speed and mileage! Really neat guy although he is a Yankee fan. I won't hold it against him as he may save my life one day! Well I hope all you had a great day and lets all live well tomorrow!
  • Lkszumla
    Lkszumla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mike,

Other than being female, I am almost the mirror image of your path for the past 5 years. I have to get this Type 2 under control.
    I am going to check out the diet your following, sounds intriguing. Will keep you posted.

I just found this site, have been ho-hum about logging my food intake, so I am starting again fresh today. Feel free to add me as your friend, I will lend assistance as I can.
  • NCarolinaMom
    Options
    Good for you Michael. I am here to support you and in turn need support too. I too have had type 2 now for about 4 years. I am under good control with my A1c being 6.3 and my morning blood sugars no higher than 140, but I do not want to be on medicine for the rest of life and finally have buckled down (began May 3), joined this site and have lost 7.5 pounds. I need to lose 30 pounds and am determined to do this so that at 51 I will not go another year overweight and unhealthy. Good luck to you!
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Keep it up Mike! You will find the walking will also give your numbers a boost in the right direction. Good luck and congratulations on your start.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mike,

Other than being female, I am almost the mirror image of your path for the past 5 years. I have to get this Type 2 under control.
    I am going to check out the diet your following, sounds intriguing. Will keep you posted.

I just found this site, have been ho-hum about logging my food intake, so I am starting again fresh today. Feel free to add me as your friend, I will lend assistance as I can.

Hi Lkszumia - Well......... I am a female and in the same place as you and Mike. I was diagnosed about six years ago. Went from an A1C of 10.5 down to my lowest of 7.1 about a year ago. Went yesterday and it is now 8.1. No one to blame but myself, but lots of excuses. Bottom line is I need to either deal with this or plan on feeling terrible for the rest of my life. I don't think that's how I want to spend the later years. Dr. gave me some of the fast acting insulin to use if my blood sugar is over 160. I'm not happy that I am at this point but as he said "We can fix this". I had to use it last night and this morning and much as I hate to admit it, I do feel better today.........

So, I did my meals and exercise yesterday (first time in a long time) and I"m hoping that some accountability will help. The app on the phone will be my greatest help as I can put stuff in as I eat it instead of waiting until the end of the day.

Wish me luck!

Linda
  • gogetmike
    Options
    Oh the first day is the hardest day and you know so is the second and third,etc, but I know you can do it. Just need to focus on it everyday and if you falter like most of us do, get back on track. I still am playing around with what carbs to eat and I have been sticking around 120 to 140 for most of the week. Not easy, but I feel that its coming together! Feel free to friend us! Everyone here is great and committed to helping each other out.

Well back to work for me! Hang in there!
  • sugarlumpjanet
    Options
    Hi, I too have trouble with keeping my count in check. I love cheeses but I don't do much exercising. My weight goes up and down. My main problem is I'm always thinking about what I can eat next. Food is alway on my mind. A diet goes well for up to two weeks and then I seem to have cravings , very strong cravings. Do you ever have this problem?

Have a great day!

sugarlumpjanet
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

OH YES. All I think of sometimes is food. I am ALWAYS hungry. Especially sweets. My Dr. said this can actually be a symptom so I checked and yes when I really crave someting sweet my BG is high.

Hi, I too have trouble with keeping my count in check. I love cheeses but I don't do much exercising. My weight goes up and down. My main problem is I'm always thinking about what I can eat next. Food is alway on my mind. A diet goes well for up to two weeks and then I seem to have cravings , very strong cravings. Do you ever have this problem?

Have a great day!

sugarlumpjanet
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Dot and I am not a diabetic BUT my mentally challenged daughter who I take care of and manage her diabetes is a Type 1 since she was 14. She is 48 now. Also my husband is type 2. I believe I can share information with you that might be helpful to you for a healthy A1C and diet information. I just struggle with weight loss. If you would like any specific info or feel I could be helpful to you please send me a message.