Patterns emerging for hunger, satiety, energy and fatigue

Options
JadeRabbit08
JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
2. Up calories feel overfull
3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Hypermetabolic? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828026_meaning-hypermetabolic_.html#ixzz1vV6JGmVJ

What do you guys think?

Replies

• sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I definitely did, but thankfully not for 3 weeks! I definitely had a full week, maybe 1.5 wks that I felt completely fatigued and had to push myself through every second of every workout. I still have days, but for the most part my body feels like it wants to move, and I crave the exercise.
  • listabit
    listabit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I, too, have had this pattern including No. 5. Although my fatigue is not as bad as it was (after upping calories and, at first, feeling energized), I feel like I'm still slowly gaining more energy again. Weird.

I'm still trying to figure out what is best for my body. I started slowly eating more about 3 weeks ago (from 1600 to 2000); I gained about 1 pound and have lost some inches. I think I still may not be eating enough. I've ordered a Bodymedia Fit to take some of the mystery out of the equation.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've experienced all and am currently experiencing No.5! It's been a few days now and I am not happy with it. It makes it hard to eat what I'm supposed to b/c I'm not really doing anything. I'm almost dizzy I'm so exhausted. I hope it passes soon. This morning feels hopeful, though :) It seems to come and go in small waves though out the week.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i definitely experienced 1-4. 5 may have occurred, and i just attributed it to a lack of sleep and exhausting issues at home. or it may be coming...good lord, i hope not. i absolutely do not get enough sleep. it's a major thing i need to work on, but i'm just not sure how. i actually do think i remember being overly tired for a few days and totally blaming my usual lack of sleep. it was just a few days though, so maybe my 5 was short. or maybe i'm in it now because i do believe that i am rambling on and on......my focus sucks.
  • witrixie2011
    witrixie2011 Posts: 224
    Options
    Definitely gone thru all of them and #5 lasted a couple weeks where I caved and lowered my calories a bit because I freaked out. Thankfully I came to my senses and upped them again.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I think I must have been experiencing #5 a couple of weeks ago. I posted about it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/590016-tired-and-hungry

During the break that I took because of the fatigue, I kept at my calories (even though it freaked me out a bit). Last week was my first week back and I spent about 24 hours staining my deck, so I guess my energy is back.
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, that is me. I'm at #5 now, Ive been taking rest days from workouts and I feel so drained and exhausted. Still trying to keep up eating 1500 calories, but sometimes I'm hungry and sometimes I feel so stuffed. And I thought it was depression again, lol, but I'm not sad, just tired.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    So what do you think the solution is for people going through the stage 5? Eat even more for a short period of time? Or maybe plan more sleep and cut cardio until the initial reset is complete?

I think there is alot of people who skip on sleep or give it a low priority in regards to their health goals. I might start collating information on studies to do with sleep deprivation and its relationship to obesity , muscle gain, and other health impacts for Lucia in case she thinks its worth a stickie post for the forum.
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    In retrospect, I did both...ate more and cut cardio. For the two weeks prior to my post about being tired, I was eating more than I really wanted to, but I was soooo hungry. It was an average of 200 cals a day more that I had really planned. Then I posted about being tired and was encouraged to take time off. When I took the time off from exercise, I was able to get the eating back under control (~1900/day). So, for me, a combination of the two.

I think it all boils down to listening to our bodies.
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So what do you think the solution is for people going through the stage 5? Eat even more for a short period of time? Or maybe plan more sleep and cut cardio until the initial reset is complete?

I think there is alot of people who skip on sleep or give it a low priority in regards to their health goals. I might start collating information on studies to do with sleep deprivation and its relationship to obesity , muscle gain, and other health impacts for Lucia in case she thinks its worth a stickie post for the forum.

I get a full 8 hrs of sleep every night (I use the fitbit to measure my sleep so I know that even though I was in bed 9 hrs, I only spent 8 sleeping, or so...always take some time to account for tossing and turning) so I've been trying to get more actual sleep time since I'm so tired. It is definitely tough to keep up cardio, so I've also been only doing the 30DS and taking rest days.

I wonder if upping my calories more will help or exacerbate things?
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    This is crazy. Before reading this post I didn't realize my lack of energy could be due to eating more - but I think the past two weeks have definitely been due to that. I thought it was because of a ton of other things! I'm glad to hear that this is a short phenomena and that it'll go away soon. Totally stuck on #5 right now though. :(

Oh, and in case you guys wanted the info - last week I did pretty much no exercise (too tired) and the past 6 or so days I haven't been able to sleep well at all. I don't know if that is due to Step 5 or not, but the correlation would be interesting to investigate.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am SO thankful you posted this! I think I'm just starting in stage 5, because for the last couple days I have been exhausted. I mean, I took a 2 hour nap on Sunday and didn't work out at all. Then yesterday I couldn't get up the energy to work out and went to bed at 8:30! I was also ravenous last night, and felt guilty for eating almost at my TDEE when I'm still trying to lose weight. I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this, and that there will be an end to it eventually.
  • SteadfastSian
    Options
    This is so interesting. I've been eating at a higher calorie level (doing low carb/high fat before I found this group) for about a month I guess and this past 4 days, I have been knackered!

I fell asleep at my desk yesterday (employee of the month or what?), had a nap on Saturday and Sunday (very unusual for me) and my sleep patterns are definitely disturbed. (Woke at 3 this morning and was "twitchy" all night)

I prescribe myself some dark chocolate! *wink*
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I get enough sleep 7=8.5 hours a night. Which is why I couldn't figure out why I was so tired LOL This is the only thing that makes sense, and it even crossed my mind before finding this thread. I find it mind boggling!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think I might be going through # 5.
    I thought it could be stress and lack of sleep but even over the weekend I felt tired n hungry. Today I feel a tiny bit better. Hopefully it goes away soon
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, indeed!

Like @MariaMariaM above, I put it down to stress and perhaps a lack of sleep, but this is enlightening! I didn't even think that the reason why I felt like I hit a wall over the weekend (to the point where I was in the middle of something and thought, I need to take a nap. RIGHT NOW) might be part of my body's response to higher calories in which I've only recently done.

And today I feel like I could eat my arm off. Pushing protein and good fats.

Thanks for posting; I'll continue to monitor with interest!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I experienced #5 for a few days in Week 3. I didn't skip my workouts completely but defintely didn't give it my all. I NEVER thought it had to do with eating more! I just thought my body needed rest. So I didn't "fight" with my body~ I took it easy on the workouts and got a lot of rest in the afternoons.

This is so interesting......Thanks for posting this, now I'll pay attention to it. (must admit, I'm still (after a month) rarely hungry)
  • SarieCherries
    SarieCherries Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! Now I feel like I am better equipped to deal with what is coming. I'm only 1 week in, but I am feeling the energy drain. I wasn't at a deficit diet very long (a month or two) before starting with the correct amount of calories so hopefully it'll pass soon and I'll be back to kickin' butt.

Come on, body. Work with me here, I'm doing this for YOU!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Those findings are also very similar to what was discovered during the Minnesota Experiment. It was a study where the men ate under BMR for an extended period of time, went into starvation mode, and then were documented throughout their refeed process as they rebuilt their metabolism. They had to OVER eat for an extended period of time (months) before their body stabilized.

I always try to encourage all EM2WL members to read this, to really understand the process, and why I recommend doing metabolism resets, but one of the last paragraphs was especially important.

an excerpt from the end (which is pretty much picking up at stage 2 mentioned above, though stage 1 was documented as well):

"Upon returning to their normal eating habits, the men seemed to have out of control eating, feeling like they could never get enough. It took many of them five months or more before things finally begin to level out (metabolism/energy levels) and they started to regain normalcy to their eating (though some continued to have an eating disorder frame of mind when it came to the food, for even longer). Strength levels took more than three months to return to normal. The studies found that the men needed to over eat in order for this rehabilitation to take place, because the body had been in such short supply of nutrients needed, it essentially needed an "over-dose" for months, in order to get it back to normal. In lieu of the over eating then men had to gain 10% more than their original weight back, but the weight came back in different proportions. The regained weight was mostly fat, and their lean body mass recovered at an extremely slower pace. With unlimited food and unrestricted eating, their weights plateaued and finally, about 9 months later, most had naturally returned to their initial ("healthy") weights without trying.

Dr Keys (who performed the study) concluded this regarding why the "over-eating" was a necessary evil in BMR rehabilitation:

"Our experiments have shown that in an adult man, no appreciable rehabilitation can take place on a diet of 2,000 calories a day. The proper level is more like 4,000 kcal daily for some months. The character of the rehabilitation diet is important also, but unless calories are abundant, then extra proteins, vitamins and minerals are of little value."

So essentially, these men had to eat double the amount of food to make up for the newly deemed "starvation mode" that they'd just subjected their bodies to. And note that they needed FOOD, supplementation alone, without the extra calories, was not enough to rebuild their BMR. "

As I said before, I encourage all to read that post, in its entirety...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-starvation-experiment-208077

~Kiki
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks KiKi - will read on that tonight! Also thanks to the OP cuz I have been a ravenous pig lately! And I have gained weight again! Still not givin up on the process though. Thanks ladies!