Success so far with EM2WL!

Options
theartichoke
theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
I just wanted to share my progress so far with the EM2WL group. I have hypothyroidism and pre-diabetes. Both are metabolic conditions that slow my metabolism and have made weight loss difficult and frustrating. I had so many questions and fears coming into this and I hope that by sharing my experience so far it will encourage others like me to start their journey and KEEP GOING!

I started doing EM2WL around April 1st. My weight was 245lbs. I'd been stuck there for 5 weeks with small fluctuations and no inches lost. I was netting 800 calories a day, no energy, felt awful...you know the drill. I upped my intake to an average of 1800 calories a day whether I exercise or not. This would have to be higher if my metabolism functioned properly.

As of today I'm 225 lbs and have lost 15.5 inches overall. 20 lbs and 15 inches in 2 months. I still can't believe it. With hypo and diabetes I've lost weight and inches eating MORE. I have the energy to fuel my workouts and stay active throughout the day. I'm getting stronger and feel better about myself than I ever have.

It was hard to bite the bullet and trust this process but I trusted all of you. My life today, even at 225lbs, is better than I ever thought it could be. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I'm grateful for the time Lucia and Proverbs have put into getting this message out and I'm grateful for each of you who have shared your success and struggles along the way.

To anyone considering this, to anyone wondering if it's going to work....YES IT WILL!!!

*hugs*

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    that is amazing!! congratulations and keep up the awesome work.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Jeanine, you are an inspiration to me. As you know, I have struggled just trying to eat enough, after years of abusing my body. Seeing your progress and finding this group has helped me to get closer to what I should be doing. For me, I take baby steps, but I'm getting there.

I am so proud of you and happy for you. You are the greatest and I love you, my little Artichoke!
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Thank you! I love you too Petunia!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love reading success stories and can't wait to post one :)
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    Really??? I started the first of the year and as of 2 weeks ago was only down 11 pounds! Up and down... Back and forth...I started this 2 weeks ago and went from 240 to 244 and have remained there for 2 weeks.... I'm a little freaked at this point and I'm really hopeful that what has happened for you can happen for me... Can you give me an idea what your bmr and tdee was when you started and about where you ate to with and without exercise??? I'm gonna use you as a role model. :) Thanks!!
  • theartichoke
    Options
    You may have to do some experiments. The calculators show my BMR to be 1800 and my TDEE to be 2700. I can't lose weight there. These calculations are estimates and can't account for all the unique differences we have in how our bodies work. If you're going off the estimates and not seeing results then generally that means your estimates are wrong.....unless you're still not eating enough! I don't know your intake so I can't say for sure. What you've experienced is slow but sustainable weight loss. It's a healthy rate and I hope you're proud if what you've accomplished! We're each different and if you're rate of loss is making you unhappy then try a few small tweaks and see what happens! I do Jillian Michael's Body Revolution and HIIT. I have my macros set at 40/30/30 and I eat *mostly* clean. If I'm hungry, I eat and I don't care what time it is as long as it fits in my macros. That's really my only hard and fast rule...it has to fit in my macros. Please feel free to add me...we can get this figured out together! I also have a great friend who is brilliant with all of this and she has great info I can point you towards as well.
  • shanniebug
    shanniebug Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great job! What type of exercises have you been doing?
  • Kgreenlaker
    Kgreenlaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wanted to give my 2 cents. I was skeptical about this eat more to weigh less thing. I upped my calories from 1200 to 2100 and for the first two weeks I gained five pounds. However my clothes weren't tighter and this third week I have started to lose weight and I'm not starving anymore. The best thing is that I no longer crave the fatty foods like I did when I was on the 1200 calorie diet. I think this is something I can live with for the rest of my life.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Kgreen...I'm so happy to hear that! This is something I can live with too. Not just suffer through today.

Shannie...I've been doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution 6 days a week and HIIT twice a week. My ultimate goal is to do the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have 25lbs to go before I get the all clear to start and I can't wait!
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just wanted to say WELL DONE! Thats so awesome and I get teary every time I read how someone is so happy because they aren't starving anymore! :) It really breaks my heart to see how little some people eat cause they think thats what they have to do.

You rock! You can be so proud of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! :D
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    :smile: CONGRATSSSSS!!!!
  • Fairieluv77
    Fairieluv77 Posts: 95
    Options
    Congrats!
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies!!
  • lkcostello
    lkcostello Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I can't wait to start seeing some progress myself. I know it's coming, I have to have patience. Congrats to you!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the off-topic I'm about to do... your screen name (artichoke), every time I see it I hear this one character from Wallace and Gromit The Curse of the Wererabbit. It makes me smile every time. :D He says 'Kiss my arrrr-tichoke' in a very pirate-ey way.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies!!
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Hahahaha! I absolutely love Wallace and Gromit! I've seen Matter of Loaf and Death and 3 amazing adventures...now I have to get that one!