very new to weights...

Options
AbbeyRysMom
AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
Hello! I'm looking for help getting INTO weight lifting. I need help learning proper form. I can't afford to go and get a personal trainer, but my dad lifts his own weights and is a firefighter, extremely large muscles, lol. I was going to start working with him soon.

So, where do I start? I was thinking of NROL4W, but I don't want to buy it and then it is too advanced. Is there like a, weight lifting for dummies? :P

Replies

• isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would say NROL4W is pretty basic. I had only done very weight lifting before I started it. Also, as a supplemen,t so you know you will be using correct form, you can look up the exercises on YouTube. I have looked online for modifications of exercises I can't do (lack equipment). Also, just take it slow, concentrate on form so you don't get hurt, and ask questions here if there is anything you don't understand. There is a NROL4W group here with a lot of us newbies.
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stick to your compound lifts - squat, bench, deadlift, on different days of the week.
    5 reps x 5 sets and add small amounts weights weekly, no more than 2.5kgs.
    M - Squats & SLDL & good mornings
    W - Bench, barbell rows, overhead press, tricep dips (or similar)
    F - Deadlifts, make 'em heavy!

Very basic compound workout for biginners.

To get your form right, video yourself and involve yourself on a bodybuilding/strength forum. Watch a tonne of you tube vids as there are some good educational vids online for beginners.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I did NROL4W and got good results. I also went and bought "Weight Lifting for Dummies" and learned a lot from that. I'm doing kettlebells now and it's affordable too - only one kettlebell is needed as opposed to traditional weight lifting where several weights are needed.