Full range of motion or Speed?

Options
gerbies
gerbies Posts: 444 Member
When you are doing any of the JMBR workouts, which do you focus on...the full range of motion of the move or keeping up the pace of the group? For example, would you go at whatever speed in order to do a full range lunge (knee 1" from the ground) or stay with the group, at their speed, but only moving through 1/2 the full range of motion? I tend to try and keep pace and do as much as I can versus going slower to complete a deeper move. What do you do?

Replies

• AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I also tend to keep up with their speed, doing the best I can when it comes to the range of motion. :)
  • mrskellyray
    mrskellyray Posts: 114
    Options
    i try to focus more on range of motion, thinking that after once or twice it will become "muscle memory" and i can do range of motion and speed. but Jillian is always saying doing it at your own pace. :)
  • mc322011
    mc322011 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i focus more on range of motion also, because for some move i can't keep up pace with them I think it's better to go at your own pace when you can't follow them but do the complete range of motion... by the way any of you have knee pain? because i'm in phase 3 workout 9 and 10 and MY GOD! it's challenging enough for me!!! but I have knee pain on some move I think it was triggered my the jump training...
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the exercise, but I usually go for range of motion. Many times during the workouts, Jillian will say "Do as many as you can" and "good form is key!" ---so that tells me that doing the exercise correctly is more important than doing it halfway or with bad form, even if I can do it 25 times. You're supposed to be working certain muscles, and even a slightly incorrect form can work a completely different muscle group!
  • aprrae
    aprrae Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I also focus more on the range of motion, but I do my best to keep up. I haven't started phase 2 yet, so I am sure it will get harder to keep up.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, the differences. I generally have good form and do most of the range of motion, along with the speed. With some of the exercises, I'm not sure if I CAN do the full range of motion, at any speed. For example, I don't think I can do those pendulum lunges in workout 8 at any speed and get my knee 1" from the ground. Or the pike crunches...I can't get my upper body completely off the ground (my shoulders and upper back, but not the full back). I will see what I can do when I do this workout tomorrow, by going slower.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The first time I do the workout, I work on range of motion/correct form. Then I try to do more reps/keep up with the group through out the rest of the workouts!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Form/tange of motion is key. You will not get the same results if you alter these. Speed will come with time:).