How do you suppress your binging urge?

Options
Binging is my weakness. What are some things you guys do/tell yourself to prevent a binging catastrophe?

Replies

• mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been binging for over a year now, it got to it's worst point just recently where I found myself gaining 10 kgs in a very short period of time...funny how it's so easy to put on and extremely hard to lose!.
    The only thing that can 'suppress' my binging urge is to exercise and that way I have the mentality that I just worked this hard and if I go and eat a million things now then it will undo all my good work. Sometimes exercising makes me feel a lot less hungrier too.

There really is nothing else, it's all a mind game tbh. I have to just not think about it or else it will consume me and I get so desperate to shove all the foods I can find down my throat. It's a vicious cycle and I'm really trying hard to curb the habit.
  • gugu0912
    gugu0912 Posts: 5
    Options
    I totally understand. Binging is a curse! I just started 5 months ago and it's been a terrible experience. After a binge, I find myself wanting to just sit in a corner and cry. I agree with the exercise thing too! It definitely curbs my appetite but it's just so hard to find the motivation to choose exercising over indulgence :( We gotta keep our heads up!
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see others' replies. I wrote on my profile last night asking how others stay away from their binge foods and I got no response to that question. This tells me that people that have our disorder don't have a good answer or aren't successful in staying away from those foods for the long-term. I hope I am wrong in that assumption. Most answers said they eat their binge foods in controlled amounts - I don't know how to do that with BINGE FOODS! If I could control the amounts, they wouldn't be binge foods!! So, my question once again becomes - how do you stay away from your binge foods? For more than a couple of days?

I have had a hard time not acting on my bingeing urges for the past two days, and honestly I haven't been successful getting more than four or five binge-free days in a row for quite a while now, at least a few months I think.

Distraction seems to work for me - doesn't matter what the distraction is, really. If I can hold off for a few minutes, it usually passes. I've read that a craving only lasts 20 minutes. That seems about right, in my experience, the problem is distracting myself for that long. When I write that, it sounds sad that it's so hard sometimes to just get through 20 minutes. 20 minutes isn't THAT long! But sometimes it feels like FOREVER!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i have a few sayings that sometimes work. i have to be really in a strong mindset though. like if i say "this food is not going to satisfy me no matter how much i eat" then sometimes i won't binge.... but if i'm already in a weak state of mind it can be very difficult. i think you are right that no one responds to questions like that because we don't have it figured out
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So, this might sound a little un-orthodox, but I was struggling so much a few weeks ago, and I told my dad about the problem I was having with binging. He told me he had been over-eating, and suggested we make a little "contest." For the next month, if one of us goes over our allotted calories for that day, we have to pay the other person $100. I don't have an extra $100 right now, and my husband would probably kill me if I gave my dad $100 for over-eating, so it has been enough of a motivator to keep me on-track. I KNOW that I would have binged several times last week if I hadn't made this little "arrangement" with my father, but because of my financial situation, it's never worth $100 to me.

I know that eventually I will need to find the will-power to do this on my own, and for its own sake, but for now I think it is helping. I need to prove to myself that I am capable of going a month without binge-eating, and I need to start getting into better patterns and habits.
  • rabetts
    rabetts Posts: 31
    Options
    I haven't figured out how to suppress it yet. Mostly, I try to keep the major bad foods out of the house (for me, it's brownies, cakes, Cookies, etc.). For some foods, I try to find a 'replacement'. Instead of ranch dressing, I'll use fat free Italian. Some work for me, some don't. I made black bean brownies instead of from the box....bad idea. I liked them more, they were so good, I ate most of them by myself. They are lower in calories, fat, sodium, etc., but that still doesn't make it ok to eat that many.
    So, if anyone does have the secret to getting through the cravings, I would sure like to know it. I want to be one of those people who can have two slices of pizza and call it quits. Someday.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I certainly haven’t figured it out! Every time I think I’ve found the trick, I cave again.
    Idleness and missed runs are HUGE triggers for me so if I don’t keep myself busy, busy, busy (ie distracted) and keep to my running schedule then all hell breaks loose. Sometimes even those things aren’t enough to quash the “urge” though . . . The problem is I restrict too much (even when I think I’m not restricting!) and that inevitably leads to a binge. I’ve been trying desperately to maintain an even amount of food and especially ENOUGH food to fuel the increase in my current running program (I won’t lie, I’m a follower of the MFP 1200 cal cult and I can’t escape! Although I do eat back my exercise cals) but I have a hard time actually increasing my daily calorie allowances. I think if I could figure out how to actually do this it would go a long way toward suppressing the binge urges ...
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hai :)

I know that when I have the urge to binge on sweets, that is a sign to me that I am having some (what I perceive to be) "negative" emotions that I am not acknowledging directly.

So, I'm trying to practice identifying those emotions. And for me, this does take practice!

I'm also trying to avoid labeling emotions as "positive" or "negative"--or at least give myself permission to _feel_ the full range of human emotions, including the ones I have avoided because they were "bad" (anger, fear, feeling out of control, loneliness, etc.).

So, when I'm not hungry and want to eat a lot of XYZ, I am learning to talk to myself: _What_ am I feeling? _Why_ am I feeling it? This often gives me enough of a break from the thought of binging to the act of binging that the urge passes. Also, at those times that I'm able to deal with my uncomfortable emotions I find the urge to binge decreases significantly or goes away.

What helps me the most is to interrupt the impulse to binge somehow--by doing the emotional work, or by telling myself to wait 15 minutes, by taking a walk, something. Making that binge thought "bounce" in one way or another seems to work.

Since sweets are a trigger for me, it's best for me not to have them in the house. If I have quick and easy access to them, it is much more difficult to interject a pause between the binge impulse and the binge action. Right now at least, if a sweet is in the house, I will eventually eat it...all of it. So, until I have a better break from emotional eating, I'm wondering if it may be easier for me to avoid _all_ sweets than to try an incorporate a few here and there in moderation. (Currently, those "one treat" times can trigger a binge; I'm hoping this will not always be the case.) But then I think that may be too restrictive and somehow gives more power to sugar than it deserves by making it so untouchable; if I know I can have one treat a week (on Saturday, for example), then maybe I can stave off cravings just by knowing I will not be completely deprived. I dunno...I'm still finding my way.

Thanks for reading what turned out to be a longish post, lol.
  • anorangie
    Options
    Binging is my weakness. What are some things you guys do/tell yourself to prevent a binging catastrophe?

One more thing :)...

When I would binge on a box of XYZ in the past, I would often eat the whole box of XYZ.

Now, if I start to binge on something, I try to counter that "in for a penny, in for a pound" mentality by slowing down or shutting down the binge even after I've already started it. So, for example, instead of eating a whole box of snack cakes one day last month, I ate two packs out of five and then threw the rest away--in the outside trash bin. I would consider that a binge because I was eating from emotions and when I started I felt out of control. But what could have been a biggie-binge turned into a relatively mini-binge, which is the next best thing to no binge at all, I guess. :)

There's a line from a song I really like: "I don't have to make this mistake."

(Or, once I choose to make a "mistake," I don't have to keep choosing to make it. I _can_ stop mid-stream, so to speak.)

OK, that's all for now, for realz. :)

Have a great week, everyone!
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    I've been struggling for about 5 years with this disorder.
    My most recent success was two days ago. I was at a family event that involved a lot of snacks. Although in public, I still will binge on a bowl of chips, plopping myself right in front and eating and chatting until the bowl is gone. (of course, my more serious binges are when I am alone.)
    I was having a dialogue in my head to STOP eating the chips. I would stop for 30 seconds, and my hand went right back in. Meanwhile, people were talking to me. Some of the conversations made me uncomfortable. Some of my self talk about the "dumb things/way I said things" made me upset. Either of those things made me immediately reach for a chip. I couldn't stop it. So I got off of the table and ran to the bathroom. I turned off the light and took a bunch of deep breaths..It took me a few minutes to center myself and calm down. I determined the following:
    1. The reason I was eating out of plan
    2. I do not wish to screw up the plan
    3. My reasons and motivations for being healthy are (a, b, c)
    4. I did screw up - 400 calories in a short time that was supposed to be dinner. But the REAL success is not a number on a scale this week. Its pulling myself out of a toxic situation and making myself strong.
    5. I CAN get through this gathering without touching the chips anymore. I WILL.

By this time, I was calm, focused, and aware of the present situation. I walked out differently. And I did not sit in arms length of the chips anymore.

I plan on using the same type of strategy when next I am by myself and confronted with a 3000 cal binge.
  • anorangie
    Options
    I've been struggling for about 5 years with this disorder.
    My most recent success was two days ago. I was at a family event that involved a lot of snacks. Although in public, I still will binge on a bowl of chips, plopping myself right in front and eating and chatting until the bowl is gone. (of course, my more serious binges are when I am alone.)
    I was having a dialogue in my head to STOP eating the chips. I would stop for 30 seconds, and my hand went right back in. Meanwhile, people were talking to me. Some of the conversations made me uncomfortable. Some of my self talk about the "dumb things/way I said things" made me upset. Either of those things made me immediately reach for a chip. I couldn't stop it. So I got off of the table and ran to the bathroom. I turned off the light and took a bunch of deep breaths..It took me a few minutes to center myself and calm down. I determined the following:
    1. The reason I was eating out of plan
    2. I do not wish to screw up the plan
    3. My reasons and motivations for being healthy are (a, b, c)
    4. I did screw up - 400 calories in a short time that was supposed to be dinner. But the REAL success is not a number on a scale this week. Its pulling myself out of a toxic situation and making myself strong.
    5. I CAN get through this gathering without touching the chips anymore. I WILL.

By this time, I was calm, focused, and aware of the present situation. I walked out differently. And I did not sit in arms length of the chips anymore.

I plan on using the same type of strategy when next I am by myself and confronted with a 3000 cal binge.

That's a great strategy, wingednotes. I like how you were able to remove yourself as soon as you recognized the negative self-talk, and turn it around to your positive goals. The deep breathing is a good idea, too. (I am trying to deep breathe in moments of anxiety, too. I'm hoping to see a positive cumulative effect.)

Self-talk and self-awareness seem so important to conquering binge eating.

Congratulations on working this strategy; that is a great success for you! And you've given us some good, concrete steps to follow when faced with the desire to binge.

*pats wingednotes on the back and cheers*
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options

That's a great strategy, wingednotes. I like how you were able to remove yourself as soon as you recognized the negative self-talk, and turn it around to your positive goals. The deep breathing is a good idea, too. (I am trying to deep breathe in moments of anxiety, too. I'm hoping to see a positive cumulative effect.)

Self-talk and self-awareness seem so important to conquering binge eating.

Congratulations on working this strategy; that is a great success for you! And you've given us some good, concrete steps to follow when faced with the desire to binge.

*pats wingednotes on the back and cheers*

This put a big smile on my face. Thank you for saying this. :)
    That little positivity is going to help me roll right on through this evening binge-free.
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    I to have not been able to go a week binge free. As for trigger foods i just don't keep them in the house or anything snacky That really helps but then the real test comes when i go out and im passing by all the stores with all their foods. Distractions are my best friend but sometime a good one can be hard to find. Im young and still trying to work this out Im still clueless about what Really works and doesnt. Is it just me or does trying to figure this whole thing out feel like your trying to put together a puzzle and all the pieces are scattered around the world?
    But i agree though i would love to lose some weight its not about that anymore Now its just about finding a healthy relationship with food.
    And that is amazing wingednotes! I dont even know you but im so proud im sure we all understand how hard it is to remove yourself from the binge once its started
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    So, this might sound a little un-orthodox, but I was struggling so much a few weeks ago, and I told my dad about the problem I was having with binging. He told me he had been over-eating, and suggested we make a little "contest." For the next month, if one of us goes over our allotted calories for that day, we have to pay the other person $100. I don't have an extra $100 right now, and my husband would probably kill me if I gave my dad $100 for over-eating, so it has been enough of a motivator to keep me on-track. I KNOW that I would have binged several times last week if I hadn't made this little "arrangement" with my father, but because of my financial situation, it's never worth $100 to me.

I know that eventually I will need to find the will-power to do this on my own, and for its own sake, but for now I think it is helping. I need to prove to myself that I am capable of going a month without binge-eating, and I need to start getting into better patterns and habits.

I love this idea!
    I certainly haven’t figured it out! Every time I think I’ve found the trick, I cave again.

I often feel the same way it drives me up the wall Because everytime i cave i think to myself "If that was not the answer what the heck is??"
  • gabigoz67
    gabigoz67 Posts: 7
    Options
    Morning exercising makes you feel fit and ready for the day.
    when you exercising in the morning, it makes you feel super guilty just looking at tempting food. Also, gum helps with cravings.
    A rally hard rule i try to live by is to drink 2 cups of water before eating, and 1 after. Its a habit you have to get used to and you gain water weight, but it helps you eat less, hurries your metabolism, and cleans you out.
    Good luck! Im slowly getting better, im sure you will too!
  • danielpinkney
    danielpinkney Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hai :)

I know that when I have the urge to binge on sweets, that is a sign to me that I am having some (what I perceive to be) "negative" emotions that I am not acknowledging directly.

So, I'm trying to practice identifying those emotions. And for me, this does take practice!

I'm also trying to avoid labeling emotions as "positive" or "negative"--or at least give myself permission to _feel_ the full range of human emotions, including the ones I have avoided because they were "bad" (anger, fear, feeling out of control, loneliness, etc.).

So, when I'm not hungry and want to eat a lot of XYZ, I am learning to talk to myself: _What_ am I feeling? _Why_ am I feeling it? This often gives me enough of a break from the thought of binging to the act of binging that the urge passes. Also, at those times that I'm able to deal with my uncomfortable emotions I find the urge to binge decreases significantly or goes away.

What helps me the most is to interrupt the impulse to binge somehow--by doing the emotional work, or by telling myself to wait 15 minutes, by taking a walk, something. Making that binge thought "bounce" in one way or another seems to work.

Since sweets are a trigger for me, it's best for me not to have them in the house. If I have quick and easy access to them, it is much more difficult to interject a pause between the binge impulse and the binge action. Right now at least, if a sweet is in the house, I will eventually eat it...all of it. So, until I have a better break from emotional eating, I'm wondering if it may be easier for me to avoid _all_ sweets than to try an incorporate a few here and there in moderation. (Currently, those "one treat" times can trigger a binge; I'm hoping this will not always be the case.) But then I think that may be too restrictive and somehow gives more power to sugar than it deserves by making it so untouchable; if I know I can have one treat a week (on Saturday, for example), then maybe I can stave off cravings just by knowing I will not be completely deprived. I dunno...I'm still finding my way.

Thanks for reading what turned out to be a longish post, lol.

Fantastic post, I agree that binge eating stems from emotional instability and it's controlling (or better still trying to rectify) the cause of those negative emotions (in my case stress) that is the key.

I've lost 4 stone recently and in trying to lower body fat to single figures I have a low calorie/low carb eating plan in place... problem is that this often results in cravings and on the occasional day (talking once or twice a week) I end up caving in... and then it's no holds barred for the rest of the night... I'm talking perhaps 3000-4000 calories in a matter of an hour or two. Weird thing is that I know what I'm doing and am telling myself 'wtf are you doing Dan' and yet I carry on. And then the next few days its back on the healthy eating plan.

It's been a difficult last year - financial issues (still in debt although getting better), fiancee split up with me six months back and within a week was seeing someone (we also have a 1 and 3 yr old together) so I'm currently living at Mum's while I try and get back on track. I am in business with my ex fiancee's father (we have a convenience store together) as well as having a freelance design business and doing a fitness training course to help the financial situation (plus I want to be a PT to maintain a healthy lifestyle for me and kids and help others). So I guess trying to do all this and have the kids 3-4 days a week is perhaps the source of the negative emotions lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, will try them out. Also looking forward to eventually having my own place - I'm either at Mam's or the convenience store business (it has attached house/accomodation) and both have too much in the way of temptation (sweets/chocolates etc). I know that in my own place there will be absolutely nothing available to binge on.
  • kerbear48185
    kerbear48185 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this question. I do not have an answer. Everytime I think I've got it figured out and go a stretch without bingeing, something triggers me and I'm off again. I agree that it has to do with emotions. I almost feel that it is indicative of a belief that the only thing I can depend on is food. Like food is a life-line, a friend, a companion. And that is really sad to me.

When I acknowledge this underlying belief I say to myself "Family, friends, God, etc. should be your life-line, not FOOD!!!" And yet it is something so deeply ingrained in my brain (maybe even DNA???) that I can't shake it! I've lost and gained so many pounds over the years. Not because I don't have the will-power to lose weight, but because I have never mastered the art of living life without using binge eating as a fail-safe cure-all to what ails me.

As for the question of avoiding binge foods...I am so with you about people saying "Just eat it in moderation." What in the world?! If I could eat it in moderation do you think we would be having this conversation??!! And I also agree that it just drives me NUTS because I KNOW what I'm doing, but the overwhelming obessesion with food is sometimes so maddening that I feel like I can't let it go until I eat what I'm obsessing about. (I hope no one on here is going to avoid me now because I sound like a crazy person!!!)
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this question. I do not have an answer. Everytime I think I've got it figured out and go a stretch without bingeing, something triggers me and I'm off again. I agree that it has to do with emotions. I almost feel that it is indicative of a belief that the only thing I can depend on is food. Like food is a life-line, a friend, a companion. And that is really sad to me.

When I acknowledge this underlying belief I say to myself "Family, friends, God, etc. should be your life-line, not FOOD!!!" And yet it is something so deeply ingrained in my brain (maybe even DNA???) that I can't shake it! I've lost and gained so many pounds over the years. Not because I don't have the will-power to lose weight, but because I have never mastered the art of living life without using binge eating as a fail-safe cure-all to what ails me.

As for the question of avoiding binge foods...I am so with you about people saying "Just eat it in moderation." What in the world?! If I could eat it in moderation do you think we would be having this conversation??!! And I also agree that it just drives me NUTS because I KNOW what I'm doing, but the overwhelming obessesion with food is sometimes so maddening that I feel like I can't let it go until I eat what I'm obsessing about. (I hope no one on here is going to avoid me now because I sound like a crazy person!!!)

You are not a crazy person!! I totally get it and relate completely!! I couldn't have said it any better!
  • maryloomis
    maryloomis Posts: 20
    Options
    I started seeing a counselor a few weeks ago because of having way too much stress in my life and not handling it well. I have questioned for most of life if I have an eating disorder and after talking to my counselor about my relationship with food she agreed that I do. Although I have had some periods of time over the years where I ate somewhat "normal" I have always gone back to binge eating. Like many have mentioned, my binges seem to be directly tied to avoiding some emotion that is uncomfortable. My counselor gave me a short list of questions to journal about when I feel like bingeing. She said if I journal about this each time it happens, or as often as I can, that over time I will recognize a pattern to my bingeing. I haven't been doing this for very long and haven't been in a position to journal each time I felt a binge coming on, but I have done it a couple times and it did help stop me from bingeing. I typed up the questions and laminated it so I can carry them in my pocket and at least think about them in my head even when I am at work or wherever and can't journal. Here are the questions . . .

1. What am I feeling?
    2. What do I need right now?
    3. How can I get that need met, or is it possible to get that need met?
    4. What can I do instead?
  • kerbear48185
    kerbear48185 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a counselor a few weeks ago because of having way too much stress in my life and not handling it well. I have questioned for most of life if I have an eating disorder and after talking to my counselor about my relationship with food she agreed that I do. Although I have had some periods of time over the years where I ate somewhat "normal" I have always gone back to binge eating. Like many have mentioned, my binges seem to be directly tied to avoiding some emotion that is uncomfortable. My counselor gave me a short list of questions to journal about when I feel like bingeing. She said if I journal about this each time it happens, or as often as I can, that over time I will recognize a pattern to my bingeing. I haven't been doing this for very long and haven't been in a position to journal each time I felt a binge coming on, but I have done it a couple times and it did help stop me from bingeing. I typed up the questions and laminated it so I can carry them in my pocket and at least think about them in my head even when I am at work or wherever and can't journal. Here are the questions . . .

1. What am I feeling?
    2. What do I need right now?
    3. How can I get that need met, or is it possible to get that need met?
    4. What can I do instead?

Thank you for sharing this!