Body Media Fit and Activity Level.

Options
Ok so all of you wonderful people who either have had a BMF for a while or just got one what is your take on it? Is it worth it? Did you find you were burning more or less than you originally thought?
This is my deal I am a stay at home mother who cleans and cooks and takes online classes. So for the most part I am sitting at the computer. I might spend 3hrs out of my day where I am up moving around cleaning or cooking. My youngest is almost 4 and other than needing me to play with him, make his meals or tuck him into bed he is gaining a great deal of independence. I do work out 3x a week consistently for 45 minutes doing strength training some weeks there is another 45 min cardio but it might be twice a month. There is one maybe two days out of the week where I have to drive somewhere for my oldest child's activity (so drive then sit then drive home) and one day where I do all my grocery shopping for the week (about 3hrs worth of walking the grocery store). I am just so lost about what I should be eating. So I thought this might be a great tool to have so that I have an accurate TDEE. I am using lightly active right now and eating between 1700 and 1800 depending on my day. Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. When I started 2 1/2 months ago I was fine with moderate because I was sure to work out 5 times a week but now I am lucky if my body allows 3 days ( I have inflammatory arthritis and we are still trying to get my medication figured out).

Replies

• guava6982
    guava6982 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just got my BMF a week ago, and so far, I burn more calories on a daily basis than I had previously estimated. However, I've been pretty active in the past week. I have yet to wear the BMF on a complete DOR. I suspect that it will be lower than estimated, so I will have to figure out what my weekly averages are. I like that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process. I was tired of questioning everything.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I got it in 2009 and used it all summer and lost 30 lbs. I felt it gave me the accuracy I was looking for. You can pay for the monthly online access to all the full reports (first 3 months free, then 6.95/mo) or you can just get the clip on/watch display to track your information for one day at a time. I'm just now back to using it as I'm going for my last 20-30lb. Today, I just started a FULL metabolism reset eating my full TDEE of 2250 while doing P90 6d/wk. My opinion, I really like BMF and it was well worth the money! Good luck!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Mine is due to be delivered today
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm also a SAHM and you would probably be shocked at how many calories you burn on a daily basis. I know my mind was blown at how many calories I burn just doing the laundry and cooking dinner, making meals, playing with my kids. One day I cleaned my entire downstairs, including sweeping and mopping....burned 500 calories in 60 minutes. I'm not kidding!!!!

According to my BMF, I'm moderately active, which is exactly where I thought I would be. But I seriously underestimated how many calories I was burning. I've had to increase my calories twice so far and will probably need to do another increase next month.

I love my BMF and firmly believe it's worth every single penny!!!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm also a SAHM and you would probably be shocked at how many calories you burn on a daily basis. I know my mind was blown at how many calories I burn just doing the laundry and cooking dinner, making meals, playing with my kids. One day I cleaned my entire downstairs, including sweeping and mopping....burned 500 calories in 60 minutes. I'm not kidding!!!!

According to my BMF, I'm moderately active, which is exactly where I thought I would be. But I seriously underestimated how many calories I was burning. I've had to increase my calories twice so far and will probably need to do another increase next month.

Yep and this goes back to what I gave out in my Tips thread. Most people underestimate their activity levels. This can mean they are netting below their BMR and can stall their weight loss.

I cannot stress enough how you need to accurately account for your exercise levels (not just working out) to get a correct reading on how many calories you are supposed to eat.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just got mine - just started using on Friday. I think I over-estimated what my level is.... :( Although my weekend was a little calm. So I'm anxious to see what this week brings - I'm planning on a "normal" week.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

Yep and this goes back to what I gave out in my Tips thread. Most people underestimate their activity levels. This can mean they are netting below their BMR and can stall their weight loss.

I cannot stress enough how you need to accurately account for your exercise levels (not just working out) to get a correct reading on how many calories you are supposed to eat.

This is what I am afraid of which is why I think I am going to order it. I think that knowing beyond a doubt what I burn will put my mind at ease and make me feel more relaxed about fueling my body properly. I feel stuck right now I want to eat the right amount but some days I worry I am eating to much and others I worry not enough so thank you all. I think this device will definitely give me some peace of mind.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    From what I am hearing this is just a great device to have. It sets the mind at ease on number of calories burned...usually from what I have read thus far...people are "underestimating" burns. Go for it...one less thing to worry about. At the stage you are at too, you def want to make sure you are eating enough..:flowerforyou:

Lucia
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Since I've been reading all of the bmf threads I decided to dust mine off and have been wearing it since Saturday night and will take a average after 7 seven day. Then I will set my calories to the bmf tdee-15%. Or should a take a average after 2 weeks?

I quit wearing it a while ago because it was not very comfortable, but since I have dropped some girth in my arm it's not to bad this time around.

It's nice to know for sure what your tdee is!!!!!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Since I've been reading all of the bmf threads I decided to dust mine off and have been wearing it since Saturday night and will take a average after 7 seven day. Then I will set my calories to the bmf tdee-15%. Or should a take a average after 2 weeks?

I quit wearing it a while ago because it was not very comfortable, but since I have dropped some girth in my arm it's not to bad this time around.

You only need to use 7 consecutive days to get your average...try to keep your routine as normal as possible during that time though. If your routine is really off, it won't give you a true weekly tdee for what you normally do.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options

You only need to use 7 consecutive days to get your average...try to keep your routine as normal as possible during that time though. If your routine is really off, it won't give you a true weekly tdee for what you normally do.

Thanks!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I wish I could get one of these...
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I wish I could get one of these...

I got a really good deal on mine from Amazon!! It was on sale and they were also offering a $30 discount so I got mine for only $82.

Keep an eye out for sales....you just never know when you'll come across a great price!
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just got one from Ebay. Can't wait till it arrives. I am very interested to know what I burn in a day. I work in a hospital setting and sometimes I sit a lot and other times I walk all over that hospital. I have a 4 year old and so I'm busy with her and my exercise really varies depending on how I feel. I think this will be the tool to really help my weight loss. I got the one that has the bluetooth for my iphone. I only wish it would work in the pool because I spend a lot of time swimming in the summer. Oh well, can't have everything I guess!