Need advice on adjusting macros

Options
halcionne
halcionne Posts: 10 Member
Hi guys, I hope you can help me. I've been upping my calories very slowly over the last month or so, trying to get to my cut number. At the same time, I've been working on correcting/adjusting my macros.

I started out eating almost entirely fast food and prepackaged stuff, averaging 1800 calories/day and protein/carb/fat ratio of 11/43/45, two months ago. I have cut out nearly all of the junk food and switched to cooking at home, from scratch. Also, I was completely sedentary.

Right now I'm hanging out around 1900 cals/day, with protein/carb/fat 30/45/25. I'm more concerned with nutrition than exercise at this point, however, I started walking a mile a day one month ago, to get into a routine, and for improved emotional wellbeing and maybe a little endurance (my endurance level is really low so far!). MFP says this burns 100 calories for my weight. *shrug*

At this point, I'm ready to bump up cals to 2000 or so, and further tweak my macros. Not ready for strength training yet, but it is a future goal. My question is, do I need all of the protein scooby recommends, that is, 40/40/20, if I'm not actually training? So far I have managed to get 30% protein without adding any supplements. I don't have any problem adding a shake or what have you, it was sort of a personal challenge/curiosity thing to boost protein without powders.

So, any suggestions for macronutrient ratios for an obese beginner who's not training yet? Here's my info; diary's open. Thanks in advance!

Female, age 39
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 229
Military body fat: 50%
Katch-McCardle BMR: 1489
TDEE: 2441
15% Cut: 2075

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    With you upping your calories and looking at your macro's the 40/40/20 is still probably going to be one of the best for you, walking and being active will help you break down fat and turn it into muscle, and that's where the protein comes in..
    I know its a struggle to get that up at higher protein but there are alot of different foods you can eat to achieve the goal.

I just have one other suggestion as I was looking at your diary, and that is you may not want to eat steak everyday to get your protein level.. you want to add chicken and fish in there, all the fat in steaks is not the healthiest source that you can be eating.. not sure what others think but I would keep steaks to a once a week kinda thing.. even the lean cuts.
  • halcionne
    halcionne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for the reply. I will give 40/40/20 a go! The steak was on sale and I'm getting really tired of it, hehe. I will add a shake or two and go from there.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If you can only hit 30% protein, then just adjust from there. Go for 40/30/30.

30% is still a good amount of protein. Just see how your body feels and go from there. I wouldn't go more than 30% on the fat though, to make sure that you are still getting the protein from lean sources.

Kiki