For Post-Surgery People: How Many Months/Years are you Out?

Options

Replies

• Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I am 1 week out ..had the RNY looking for friends and support..good luck to you all.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY back in February of 2002. In between now and then I had 3 children (4 pregnancies) and went up and down a bit. I am now 153, my highest weight was 230 lbs. Ready to get those last few pounds off. I never got completely down to my goal weight because I was too impatient to have babies. I would loooooove to be 125 if I could ever get there. In 10 lbs I am normal weight. I just started running which makes me feel fantastic. I always hated to run in the past. Hoping that will help get to normal weight. I am really impatient. Might just put my scale away so as to not get so frustrated with how slow it has been. I will never have to do this again!!!
  • kfink426
    kfink426 Posts: 16
    Options
    I had my RNY in June of 2011 - so it's been 11 months. I actually had a follow-up with my bariatric surgeon yesterday. Since December, I only lost a whopping 2 lbs. He walked in and said "Are you trying to beat my surgery?" Then we talked, and he realized I've been into bodybuilding over the last few months and gaining a LOT of muscle mass. He only wants me to lose 25 more lbs, I'd be happier if I lost 45 more lbs. Overall I lost 80 lbs since I had the surgery, but for me it's more the health benefits that matter - no more diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY in June of 2011 - so it's been 11 months. I actually had a follow-up with my bariatric surgeon yesterday. Since December, I only lost a whopping 2 lbs. He walked in and said "Are you trying to beat my surgery?" Then we talked, and he realized I've been into bodybuilding over the last few months and gaining a LOT of muscle mass. He only wants me to lose 25 more lbs, I'd be happier if I lost 45 more lbs. Overall I lost 80 lbs since I had the surgery, but for me it's more the health benefits that matter - no more diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.

Have you had your body composition measured to get an exact measurement of your lean body mass? I'm thinking about getting a dexa body scan to get mine measured, along with my bone composition.
  • kwilliamsRN
    Options
    Hello all! I just joined MFP today. My first attraction was the food diary...and now I have found this message board! I had my RNY surgery on 3/26/10. Started at 289 and had lost down to 165, which my surgeon said was "enough" of a loss. I was "healthy". Well, I thought I wanted to lose more, but I have done just the opposite...I am now 190 and need to get a grip. Part of my problem has been having wine or drinks, which I didn't do pre-op. I have stopped that and am now keeping myself accountable with the food diary. I am exercising--riding my bike and walking daily. Just need to "think" about what I am putting in my mouth. I need to get back to frequent small meals and no drinking with my meals! I will keep you apprised! Would love support! I didn't go through this surgery to gain!
  • grecajzegarra
    Options
    I am 9 weeks out of RNY and I have lost 60 lbs thus far. I feel like it was the best decision I have made in my life and have had no troubles thus far. Just switched from paper journaling to MFP and I love it. I'm consuming 500-600 cal per day and getting my 50-70 g of protein everyday as needed. I exercise at least 4 times per week with a compbination of walking, aqua aerobics, strength training, eliptical/treadmill/recumbent bike cardio at the gym. I feel great and as I travel to NC to celebrate my precious nephew's first birthday, I am gifting him my 60 # weight loss and my new reality of being able to chase after him. Best to all of you on the same boat, we can do this!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to the board. I am almost 2 months out from GBS. I was doing really well in the beginning but have hit another plateau. Its my second one and *so* frustrating. I am not sure if maybe my poor body is in "survival mode" and thinks it needs to hold onto those stubborn fat cells! I notice according to this, I am not taking in nearly enough calories. Looking for some advice from other WLS folks regarding calorie goals. I dont want to increase them and gain weight...but I dont want to consume too few and force my body into hanging on either.

I look forward to getting to know people and sharing!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think limiting your weighins isnt a bad idea really. I know I have gotten into the habit of weighing every morning which was great when I was losing everyday....but these plateaus I keep hitting are *so* discouraging. I am trying to break my scale habit!
  • sallypesta
    sallypesta Posts: 2
    Options
    I had RNY June 2004. Heaviest weight 251 and by the time of surgery was 225. I dropped to low of 126. Have slowly put back on weight especialy this last year, and was at 162.5... As of today am at 156 and slowly going down. I find the calorie counting here on Myfitnesspal really is helping me! I would like to get back to between 135-140 and maintain there. I do not want to be one of the statistics of RNY patients that gained all the weight back. I am 51 and have noticed that with the last 10 pound gain, my knees started to hurt again. DO NOT WANT this pain!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery in February of 2002. Met my hubby just before my surgery. I never got down to where I ultimately wanted because I was too impatient to have children. I think I got to 138 before I got pregnant with my first kid. Then I had a misscarriage and then 2 others. I wish I had given up gluten when I couldn't eat much, it would have saved me a lot of trouble. I gave it up 2 years ago and have been losing slowly ever since. I am down to 153 now. I was 230 at my highest and in the midst of all my pregnancies I yoyoed a lot obviously ;). Now that I don't want any more kids, it is time to get all the weight off. I would ultimately like to be 125 but I have recently put the scales away since I am too emotionally attached to them. I am focusing on getting rid of body fat and feeling good in my clothes. I recently took up running which is making me feel sooo good within my body, and because I never thought it was ever possible to run without feeling like I was going to die. I have changed my ideas about what is important now. feelinh goof in my clothes is super important, not the number on the scale. So, refocusing my energy has been really important lately and FINALLY I am loving to exercise!! :)
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had RNY September 2008, so I am 3 years 7 months out. I went from 340 to 140 and have kept it off. I've had no issues since my surgery. Life is good!!

Wow! Good for you! Thats is wonderful! I had my Lapband September of last year, was doing well. But, have currently gain lots of weight back over these last few months. My goal is to start back over, get my FILLS done! That way I can start lossing weight once again :smile:
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I am 1 week out ..had the RNY looking for friends and support..good luck to you all.

Congratulations!
  • bettermesoon
    bettermesoon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 6 months post gastric bypass and I am down 102 pounds!!! Such a wonderful feeling...I am happy with my progress thus far. No complaints from me :-)
  • 1carlyj
    1carlyj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    9 years out in July. Starting weight 300, got down to 175, back up to 249, now down to 211........ I now understand what I can and can not eat to prevent more re-gain. Newbies, don't EVER stray away from your prescribed post op diet. You can do it!!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lap Band surgery June, 2009, so 3 years out. Reached my goal weight of 130 about 6 months ago. Now I'm trying to maintain, though to lose another 5 would be great.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I will be 4 years post-op in 3 more weeks. I had lap band on June 23, 2008. I'm still working on my goal. I have short bursts of successful weight lost followed by long periods of plateauing. Then I gain a few pounds back and have to go back to my WLS office for a good kick in the butt and then I start to lose again. No regrets!
  • dustycotton
    dustycotton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY gastric bypass on May 6, 2000, so 12 years post op. Started at 300 and reached goal of 155 less than a year later. Maintained that for about 3-4 years. Now at 245 and trying to lose the weight again. Very depressing.
  • chilldowns
    Options
    RNY 4/29/2012
    Starting wieght 358
    Current weight 301
    10 pounds lost before surgery
    47 pounds gone in 6 weeks after surgery
    57 TOTAL POUNDS LOST
    Diabetes gone right after surgey (off all meds)
    High Triglycerides- Gone
    High Blood pressure- very close to being gone
    Knee pain -getting better everyday
    Feeling Great!! Not hungry
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! You can do this, even so far out. I had my RNY in 2008. I went from 340 to my current weight of 135. I'm sure MFP can help you get to your goal. I plan to stay here to help me maintain my loss. I have to stay diligent!! : )
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi! New to this group. 10 months tomorrow since my lap band surgery and I am down almost 80#. It was the best think I ever did for myself. I am no longer on any diabetes meds and have cut my bp meds in 1/2. I started at 380#. My goal is to lose 100# by my 1 year bandiversary.