Stage 4

Options

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options

Do your squat stands have catcher bars lower down for squatting?

Yes, they do. I'll PM you a link to them so you can see.
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So I'm coming to the end of stage 4 - only 2 workouts left. Managed 120s plank!!! :bigsmile: so chuffed! However it did strain my back a little, need to engage my core more I think. Onwards and upwards ladies :drinker:
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    EMC- me too, 2 workouts left. won't miss those planks...

Maggie, thanks for the link, I might be able to get some made.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 4 June 11th. I am taking my full week off between stages but I plan to fill it with fun cardio type stuff. Cheers ladies.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Starting Stage 4 June 11th. I am taking my full week off between stages but I plan to fill it with fun cardio type stuff. Cheers ladies.

And I've got just one more Stage 4 workout to go, so our paths won't cross (here anyway). Enjoy Stage 4 Samantha; I like the sound of fun cardio stuff!

Can't decide - yet again - whether to take time out before Stage 5. I've just had a peep at it, and OMG, 4 SETS??? I may need time to psyche myself up for that.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Yes 4 sets but I think it's like only 4 reps I think. It should go quick. I'm dreading the three sets. Seems these workouts, that we complained about being too short in stage one, are now WAY too long.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Sam, these 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps are a nightmare, most of us seem to vary how many sets we do. Today i felt good so i did 3 sets (my last 4A, yay!). Last time, short of time, 2 sets.

Weirdly today i felt great and did a good workout only 2 days after my last one. Usually I can only cope with lifting every 3 days. AND i did HIIT yesterday! I'm a machine ;)

4B on Mon or Tues, then on to stage 5. No need for a week off, I had one last week. I wish planks didn't come back in stage 5, but they do.... I am up to 3 sets, 120s, 120s, 100s. No breaks mid-plank. I'm getting there.

For inspiration, check out these ladies my pal posted on her newsfeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vCiCgTYax58
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Sam, these 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps are a nightmare, most of us seem to vary how many sets we do. Today i felt good so i did 3 sets (my last 4A, yay!). Last time, short of time, 2 sets.

Weirdly today i felt great and did a good workout only 2 days after my last one. Usually I can only cope with lifting every 3 days. AND i did HIIT yesterday! I'm a machine ;)

4B on Mon or Tues, then on to stage 5. No need for a week off, I had one last week. I wish planks didn't come back in stage 5, but they do.... I am up to 3 sets, 120s, 120s, 100s. No breaks mid-plank. I'm getting there.

For inspiration, check out these ladies my pal posted on her newsfeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vCiCgTYax58

Well done Jen - sounds like you have made a great leap forward in terms of fitness.

Thanks for the link; I found the vid really inspiring, and plan to repost on my newsfeed with a plea for one featuring older women!

ETA: And oh, those pullups!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    OK. Stage 4 completed. Thank goodness, is all I can say right now.

Below are my results in terms of weights lifted. They are all in kilos, and they are odd weights as I have cheapo, screw-on things so have to add the weight of the bar and DBs each time.

I've checked them against Stage 2, and I did manage to increase the weights on everything except the woodchop (using DBs on the floor), the reverse lunge and the Cuban snatch where I went back down to start with, and finished where I left off in Stage 2.

Anyway ...

WORKOUT A

Front squat push press
    From 21.3kg to 25.3kg

Step-up
    From 13.7kg to 14.7kg
    DB one-point row
    From 13.7kg to 14.7kg

Static lunge, rear foot elevated
    From 13.7kg to 14.7kg
    Push-ups - 8 each time on the flat

Planks
    120 secs each time (apart fro once when could only manage 90 secs)
    Cable horizontal wood-chop (with a DB on the floor)
    From 10.7kg to 11.2kg

WORKOUT B

Wide grip DL from box
    From 51.3kg to 52.8kg

Bulgarian split squat
    From 13.2kg to 16.2kg
    Pullover (no machine for lat pulldown)
    From 13.2kg to 16.2kg

Reverse lunge from box
    From 6.2kg to 8.7kg
    DB prone Cuban snatch
    From 6.2kg to 8.7kg

Abs work - as per book

Prone cobra - 120 secs each time apart from once at 90 secs
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    OMG Maggie, those are some HUGE numbers!!! Superwoman!

The prone cuban snatch of 8.7kg, is that each side or total? I'm only up to 4kg each side on that and my form sucks! Plus 4kg are my longer adjustable DBs which I clang into the posts on my bench each time. Barbie weights were easier...

I'll be joining you day after tomorrow, will get the HIIT done first tomorrow night. Are you taking a week off?
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    OMG Maggie, those are some HUGE numbers!!! Superwoman!

The prone cuban snatch of 8.7kg, is that each side or total? I'm only up to 4kg each side on that and my form sucks! Plus 4kg are my longer adjustable DBs which I clang into the posts on my bench each time. Barbie weights were easier...

I'll be joining you day after tomorrow, will get the HIIT done first tomorrow night. Are you taking a week off?

It's 8.7 each side for the cuban snatch. But I have to say that from my sessions with the PT I learnt that they should be done really fast, which helps. I think I got a rotator cuff injury from doing them too slow in stage 2. Oooh, listen to me with all the jargon!

I may take a few days off, but not a whole week, as the way I'm feeling right now is that I just want to press on and get the programme finished.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Arms are looking good MissMaggie! It's those massive snatches you do:flowerforyou:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stage 3 the other day and I'm taking a week off before starting Stage 4. I wasn't all that fond of Stage 2, but at least I'm more than familiar with all the moves so I'm not nervous about starting Stage 4.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Finally DONE! After a little delay due to my neck seizing up, stage 4 is over. No major weight gains, the only ones worth mentioning are:

FS/Push press 16kg to 20kg (grrr shoulders..)
    Plank 2 sets 120s/90s up to 3 sets all 120s
    Wide grip DL 36kg to 40kg
    Prone cuban snatch 3kg to 4kg (yeah my shoulders suck!)

I felt like i could have gone higher on the DL, but my grip let me down, thought i was going to drop it- it was almost hanging from my fingers at the end. Might try the mixed grip.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Way to go Maggie and Jen.

Started Stage 4 yesterday, and wow... 1 hour and 10 minutes for just strength training? Jeez. Though with the heart monitor on, it said I had burned 641 calories. That was satisfying.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 4 yest and below are my numbers.

Workout A
    Squat p/p - 60lbs
    Step up - 40lbs
    One Point row - 30lbs
    T push up - 15lbs
    Lunge w/rear foot elevated - 35lbs
    Wood Chop - 65lbs

Workout B
    Dead Lift from box - 125lbs
    Underhand lat pull down - 115lbs
    Bulgarian Squat - 45lbs
    Cuban snatch - 15lbs
    Reverse lunge w/reach - 27.5lbs
    Reverse crunch on bench - bw

I still dont understand the "reach" part and its purpose on the reverse lunge with a reach. Also, by workout 6 I officially gave up on the ab circuit. I wasnt seeing any benefit from them. Besides I do 5 mins worth of abs twice a week in my body combat class. so there you go!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Off to the gym to officially start stage 4. 2 to 3 sets of 8 correct?
  • samntha14
    Options
    Finally did my first WO of stage 4. Those 2 min planks are KILLER! The first one wasn't bad because Gwen Stefani had me "Feeling Hellagood", but the second was 2x60 and the third was 90 then 30, but I ROCKED everything else. I powered through the Front Squat Push Press...until the third set. Bad grip meant putting it down on 6 :( I was disappointed when I could only do 8 push ups. I did 12 the last time I did them in stage 2. I started all of the weights where I left off in Stage 2.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Did Workout B1 today. Meh. I've downgraded a little on the deadlifts. Need to work on that. When I did Stage 2, I was going to Planet Fitness and only had a Smith Machine to work with. Now I'm at a real gym with real free weights and oly bars. Kind of have to take a step back and relearn these things.

In A1 I wasn't able to do more than just the oly bar on the Front Squat Push Press. Frustrating.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one and if it's actually important, but I have to say I haven't been taking the intervals seriously. I've actually been repeating c25k (did it last year, started over again) as my intervals. I know it's not the same thing, but it is intervals. Today I didn't do the intervals at all. Wasn't feeling it.
  • samntha14
    Options
    The push press is a tricky move. I never went above 60lbs in stage 2 and started at 55 for sage 4. I am very sore in some strange places today, inner thighs, lower glutes, and my arm pits. Don't remember it hurting like this in stage 2. I am skipping the gym tonight for my son's pre-k graduation.