does any one feel angry and stressed on keto/atkins? x

Options
NikkiJoH
NikkiJoH Posts: 22 Member
hi guys iv been in and out of ketosis whist battling against my chcolate cravings.

i find when im in keto i often feel very stressed/ angry.....is this normal the first few weeks while my body turns fat into fule and do these feeling subside? or does this just mean this diet is not for me?

i generally feel okay on the diet despite some headaches (recenlty started adding more salt n being good with water)
i fin the diet easy as in i dont really crave carbs - just chcoolate! :-)

i know it dont help that i have been in and out of keto over the last couple of weeks and not helping my 'induction flu'

just starting logging on here properly and my diary is open for u guys to check out and give me any constuctive critasism.

thank alot for all ur help xx

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Some people can be kind of "cranky" when they start. You really need a good induction phase of a solid 2-3 weeks for some to break the cycle. Stay away from the chocolate, unless it is sugar free and you REALLY need a fix. If you are eating regular chocolate, you are pushing yourself back out of ketosis and fueling the sugar cravings, and thus extending your carb flu period.
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Afraid i cant help cos it didnt happen to me, bu i have heard of 'Atkins flu' and headaches being a problem at first.
    Good luck, try to keep going :smile:
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When first starting low carb I got horribly shaky and yes, even moody. After some research I too found it was related to sodium (not getting enough) and dehydration.

If you're craving chocolate, I'd say have some, a little bit, but make it worth it. The extra dark, more than 70% is really good and for me it's chocolately enough to stop me at one piece. I've tried the sugar free chocolate but the sugar alcohols in it kill my stomach. If sugar alcohol doesn't bother you then that's another option to try.

But stick with low carb, your symptoms don't mean your body doesn't like it, it's just adjusting to it. It can be challenging at times, but in the long run you'll feel better and have more energy. Good luck! :smile:
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    YES! OMG, the first week or so, I would snap at my husband and son for every little thing. I am much better now.
    I've also gone through the severe leg pains and kidney pains.
    Now, I feel great. I'm not hungry at all. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. last night, I hosted a huge fund raiser with a ton of amazing food. Typically I would get all "I hate that I can't eat this stuff" or "why me?"
    Last night, I ate the 2 things that I could. I enjoyed every bite and woke up feeling super proud and happy.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    YES! OMG, the first week or so, I would snap at my husband and son for every little thing. I am much better now.
    I've also gone through the severe leg pains and kidney pains.
    Now, I feel great. I'm not hungry at all. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. last night, I hosted a huge fund raiser with a ton of amazing food. Typically I would get all "I hate that I can't eat this stuff" or "why me?"
    Last night, I ate the 2 things that I could. I enjoyed every bite and woke up feeling super proud and happy.

That's the best way to look at it, sometimes you can't have everything served at a function, but if you stick to the things that you should be eating you won't wake up hating yourself the next morning.
  • ericablu
    ericablu Posts: 12
    Options
    I started three days ago and I was super cranky all weekend. I feel less so today, but woke up feeling nauseous, weak and with a headache. I felt so bad I had to miss work. REALLY hoping I improve somewhat before tomorrow - hate to miss work because I'm sick from sugar withdrawal! Interestingly, though, I havent really been craving carbs which is nice.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    crankiness and moody = sugar addiction withdrawls. It took me 8 weeks to get over them at 50g carbs a day, no cheating.

if you are anemic from lack of minerals you have different symptoms:
    low potassium = depression, water weight gain, suicidal thoughts, heart problems and panic attacks, ear aches
    low sodium = low energy, fuzzyniess to thinking, lack of thirst and hunger, no sweating
    low magnesium = muscle fatigue, muscle cramps, headaches, migraines, moody emotions, tired
    low copper = no endurance, asthma like breathing symptoms, hard to do aerobic or cardio, nightmares, auditory halucinations
    low zinc = similar to copper, plus no libido
    low calcium = colds and sicknesses

and of course you will crave salty foods if you are lacking those electrolytes. Your symptoms are all of hypoglycemia, low blood sugar. If you suffer from a low carb diet you may actually be type 1 diabetic. Get bloodwork done asap, as a low carb diet is impossible for anyone with type 1 diabetes!

btw, chocolate is a craving for anyone who is magnesium deficient!
  • ericablu
    ericablu Posts: 12
    Options
    Well it seems my crankiness only lasted those two days - I've been in a great mood since and that's extra impressive as I'm normally not. No, let me put it this way - I normally wasn't happy while eating lots of carbs and sugar. :)
  • vegansassy
    vegansassy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with our bodies getting used to be fat burning rather than carb burning. It is like your body is confused at first and is freaking out a little, then it figures it out and smoothes out in a way. But if I eat something I am not supposed to, personally (especially if I am really bad- though I try really hard 95% of the time) I get jittery and shakey for at least 2-3 days sometimes 5 days then I am good again. But usually I stay on plan. But it is like starting all over again if I eat something carby. So most of the time I eat what I am supposed to. But sometimes I don't plan well and end up at my sister in laws house and she eats the carbs and makes granola and is always wanting to cook dessert when we come over for my kids. She has a rare illness so she has to eat carbs....so if I bring things to cook or bring salad to make then I am ok...but every once in a while I am unprepared. It happens....

Michelle
  • djf23
    djf23 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    the first few days were a little hard...got snappy at people

but after a week i think im happeir than i was before...and you dont feel sick or anytyhing its awesome

btw if you have choc cravings you can buy sugar free chocolate...the quality stuff taste soo good

try well naturally dark choc if you can get it
  • NikkiJoH
    Options
    so sorry i havent replied ppl!! i have been on my phone and not seen these replies..............makes me feel alot better to know that other ppl have felt the same on this diet, im starting to feel alot better now thank you :-)

think it must have been the sugar addiction!! but getting used to it now!

thanks again! xoxoxoxo
  • NikkiJoH
    Options
    crankiness and moody = sugar addiction withdrawls. It took me 8 weeks to get over them at 50g carbs a day, no cheating.

if you are anemic from lack of minerals you have different symptoms:
    low potassium = depression, water weight gain, suicidal thoughts, heart problems and panic attacks, ear aches
    low sodium = low energy, fuzzyniess to thinking, lack of thirst and hunger, no sweating
    low magnesium = muscle fatigue, muscle cramps, headaches, migraines, moody emotions, tired
    low copper = no endurance, asthma like breathing symptoms, hard to do aerobic or cardio, nightmares, auditory halucinations
    low zinc = similar to copper, plus no libido
    low calcium = colds and sicknesses

and of course you will crave salty foods if you are lacking those electrolytes. Your symptoms are all of hypoglycemia, low blood sugar. If you suffer from a low carb diet you may actually be type 1 diabetic. Get bloodwork done asap, as a low carb diet is impossible for anyone with type 1 diabetes!

btw, chocolate is a craving for anyone who is magnesium deficient!

Really?????????? thats scary!!! i do do my blood sugar at work tho and am in the normal range usually about 4.8 ( i work in a care centre)

what are the other symptoms of being diabetic? xx
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

what are the other symptoms of being diabetic? xx

It will benefit you if you consider discussing this with your primary care physician. While there are straight-across-the-board maladies associated with Diabetes, the severity can differ as each person's dietary intake requirements will vary based on their blood-sugar test readings.

If you have concerns, your PCP will help you out. I would suggest bringing in at least three months worth of your MFP Food log intake, three months of your exercise logs, because that will give your PCP a good baseline to begin with. A true A1C test performed is generally a 12hr fasting as that test will determine your blood/chemical breakdown of about a three to four month reading.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    i do do my blood sugar at work tho and am in the normal range usually about 4.8 ( i work in a care centre)

4.8? Thats definitely not an American measurement for blood sugar.... what is your machine reading>?
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. What are you eating? How many calories a day?

A lot of people forget to eat while on low carb. They get in a "I am dieting" mindset and start just eating less, plus they are not eating carbs so they just don't eat.

You gotta eat. Eat when you're hungry. Always have foods around that you can eat - don't put yourself in a position to have to eat carbs or hungry.

Eat and drink water.