Common theme - 1200 calorie problems from main forum

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Hey Guys,

So I have been working to help people on the main forums.

However the most common thread I see on it is. There are like 10-15 of these a day: - Help! 1200 Calorie diet and I have stopped losing/started gaining.

For me its actually kind of depressing. I like helping people. But you just cant reach certain people :(

Anyways back to educating the main forums :)

Mike

Replies

• TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I fell into the grasp of the evil 1200 calorie diet when I signed up on mfp. Honestly, I think those "automatic" goal calculators are from the hell itself! LOL. Fortunately I only was on that low intake for less than a month before I found the EM2WL forums. I instantly knew in my heart that *this* was the right path. I had even started praying for guidance to find what I should be doing because I knew that I wouldn't last on the 1200 calorie deprivation diet, but I had NO CLUE what else to do. It wasn't long after that I found this group. You can laugh, but I felt it was divine intervention that led me here. : ) I have felt so good physically, emotionally and mentally! It's amazing how fueling your body affects every part of your being. So KEEP HELPING ON THE MAIN FORUMS! You will be a lifeline to MANY! Bless you, Mike and keep rockin' on - you're an inspiration! : )
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I fell into the grasp of the evil 1200 calorie diet when I signed up on mfp. Honestly, I think those "automatic" goal calculators are from the hell itself! LOL. Fortunately I only was on that low intake for less than a month before I found the EM2WL forums. I instantly knew in my heart that *this* was the right path. I had even started praying for guidance to find what I should be doing because I knew that I wouldn't last on the 1200 calorie deprivation diet, but I had NO CLUE what else to do. It wasn't long after that I found this group. You can laugh, but I felt it was divine intervention that led me here. : ) I have felt so good physically, emotionally and mentally! It's amazing how fueling your body affects every part of your being. So KEEP HELPING ON THE MAIN FORUMS! You will be a lifeline to MANY! Bless you, Mike and keep rockin' on - you're an inspiration! : )

Thanks! And I just want people to be happy and realize that losing weight doesnt have to be punishment. For me I was 310 pounds eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day. I know what miserable is. And I do not look down on anyone eating 1200 because I know how easy it is to fall into that trap.

I just need to figure out how to use my Swiss Army Knife of knowledge to break their shells and help them :)
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I have been trying to help people when I find them too. It worked for me.. I was stuck going back and forth between 9 lbs for the last year and a half and it was super frustrating. I also gained an inch pretty much everywhere which means I lost muscle during that time... The dumb thing is that I weigh 317 lbs so I 'technically' should be able to handle low calories, but it didn't work for me. I about doubled my calorie intake and have finally started to see results and even have lost 2.5 inches off my stomach in the last 2 weeks. Woohoo! :P

I wish more people would listen too because they are doing themselves more harm by not.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options

No laughing here, I had been praying to find what was the right way also. It took me a little while but I made it here. O knew it made sense from the get go. He listens and guides all the time.

Great job Mike, you are doing a great job helping.
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    I just need to figure out how to use my Swiss Army Knife of knowledge to break their shells and help them :)

Swiss army knife of knowledge - LOL!!! Love it! :laugh:
  • TiffyChick
    Options
    No laughing here, I had been praying to find what was the right way also. It took me a little while but I made it here. O knew it made sense from the get go. He listens and guides all the time.

:heart: :smile:
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What is really bad is that the mayo clinic is backing up the 1200 calorie idea. Look at this from their website:
    Everyone knows decreasing calorie intake is the key to effective weight loss. However, there are many ways to lower calorie intake, some healthier than others. The total number of calories will determine how much weight you lose. The type of calories you eat will determine how healthy the dietary program is.

Let's use an extreme example. If you eat 1,200 calories per day, you should lose weight. If those calories come only from jelly beans (that's a lot of jelly beans!), it won't be a very healthy way to lose weight. Jelly beans contain calories but very few vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients the body needs.

The Mayo Clinic Diet also recommends 1,200 calories for women under 250 pounds who want to lose weight. In contrast to jelly beans, however, when people follow the Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid, they will eat generous amounts of vegetables and fruits, whole grain carbohydrates, lean sources of protein, heart healthy fats, and just a small amount of a sweet, such as jelly beans.

These types of foods contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, and many other nutrients and phytonutrients (different types of nutrients found in plants). These types of foods have a tremendous amount of evidence supporting their beneficial effects on health.

There are many different types of diets in existence. To promote effective weight loss, they should lower calorie intake. To promote good health, they should include a variety of healthy food choices.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Oh my.
    What is really bad is that the mayo clinic is backing up the 1200 calorie idea. Look at this from their website:
    Everyone knows decreasing calorie intake is the key to effective weight loss. However, there are many ways to lower calorie intake, some healthier than others. The total number of calories will determine how much weight you lose. The type of calories you eat will determine how healthy the dietary program is.

Let's use an extreme example. If you eat 1,200 calories per day, you should lose weight. If those calories come only from jelly beans (that's a lot of jelly beans!), it won't be a very healthy way to lose weight. Jelly beans contain calories but very few vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients the body needs.

The Mayo Clinic Diet also recommends 1,200 calories for women under 250 pounds who want to lose weight. In contrast to jelly beans, however, when people follow the Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid, they will eat generous amounts of vegetables and fruits, whole grain carbohydrates, lean sources of protein, heart healthy fats, and just a small amount of a sweet, such as jelly beans.

These types of foods contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, and many other nutrients and phytonutrients (different types of nutrients found in plants). These types of foods have a tremendous amount of evidence supporting their beneficial effects on health.

There are many different types of diets in existence. To promote effective weight loss, they should lower calorie intake. To promote good health, they should include a variety of healthy food choices.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Awesome Mike. I do the same when I see it. It really is just sad. The great thing is people get curious and come check it out...you are touching people!
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Awesome Mike. I do the same when I see it. It really is just sad. The great thing is people get curious and come check it out...you are touching people!

If I am, please dont sue for sexual harassment ...I cant help touching people.... :p
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    :

If I am, please dont sue for sexual harassment ...I cant help touching people.... :p

:heart::laugh:
  • ANewLucia
    Options

:tongue:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you buddy. I try to help but there's years of misinformation out there especially for women.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I am right there with you buddy. I try to help but there's years of misinformation out there especially for women.

I hear you...and according to Lucia I try and touch women any chance I get :/ hahah
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I hear you...and according to Lucia I try and touch women any chance I get :/ hahah

Lol:laugh:
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just posted on a couple of these today *sigh*. It can be so frustrating. I have actually had ppl pm me after figuring out their numbers and say ' so your telling me I need to eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight'. They don't want to believe. When I joined the group a couple months ago there was barely 1000 ppl. I think we are doing our 'pay it forward' jobs! :drinker:

Don't reach out and touch me other than to pat me on the back Mike...I'm taken :wink: :laugh:
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I just posted on a couple of these today *sigh*. It can be so frustrating. I have actually had ppl pm me after figuring out their numbers and say ' so your telling me I need to eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight'. They don't want to believe. When I joined the group a couple months ago there was barely 1000 ppl. I think we are doing our 'pay it forward' jobs! :drinker:

Don't reach out and touch me other than to pat me on the back Mike...I'm taken :wink: :laugh:

Hey that doesnt matter....i have been touching single people..married people....taken people..women and men!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Hey that doesnt matter....i have been touching single people..married people....taken people..women and men!

So you're saying EMTWL has turned you into an EOS....Equal Opportunity Stud.

;)

The Mayo Clinic saying that a 1200 calorie diet should contain generous portions of a bunch of stuff is laughable. They obvs didn't put any menus together to see if that was even possible. Looking back at my 1200 days, protein was the daily sacrifice. I spied a few days in the 30s for protein. Scary.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

THIS is absolutely true. it's everywhere and has been for YEARS and Years. Lots of data and info out there to the contrary, but the low cal messages is so pervasive .. With yes, Mayo Clinic, nutritionists, docs, dieticians , trainers ...who all get what I call "mainstream" education. Is why I'm so passionate in pushing folks to read, EDUCATE themselves.

And I appreciate men such as yourself and Mike who recognize that and are striving to get the word out and educate. Mike, I've stalked you this evening a bit .... YOU ROCK !!!!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well I tried to reach some people as well, but they just don't want to believe that this is the way to go.

I referred them even to the group, but problem being, that English is not their first language so they have some issues to understand. And I didn't find anything alike in German language.

The concept is so simple but some people just don't wnat to believe that what it needs to lose is to eat properly. Well I was one of them for many years.......

Thank God I found this wonderful group :flowerforyou: