week 3 bypass and I haven't lost a pound ....are you kiddng?

Options
CruellaClo
CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
Had bypass 3/7/2012. The first two weeks I dropped 21 pounds. This past week I started walking and I haven't gone over 565 calories. I weighed myself this morning and in the past 9 days I haven't lost a pound. Really frustrated.

Replies

• Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Stalls are normal. The reason for them is to let your liver catch up with the rapid weight loss. Trust me, you won't stay stalled forever. I had quite a few. The longest one was 7 weeks! However, I was so focused on the number on the scale, I hadn't realized that I'd lost inches. Just keep walking, make sure you're staying hydrated and try upping your protein. Oh...and stay off the scale! :wink:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's called the 3 week stall. Not 100% of people experience but A LOT of people do. The thing is, it's unlikely you are consuming more than 600 calories a day at this point. Many are still in the 400-450 range. There's no way you can be eating that little and not losing weight. BUT there is a way that the scale won't show it -- water retention!!

A bunch of things happen at 2-4 weeks out that cause us to retain a lot of water and, for some people, it's enough water to equal the number of pounds of at lost.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Your body is in shock. Try to relax.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    Stay off the scale!!

The weight did not appear overnight; nor will it "disappear" overnight.

TRUST THE PROCESS!!
  • CruellaClo
    Options
    I started losing again... all is well. I think it also taught me a lesson. This is going to take time and I need to be kind to myself.
  • outoftherain
    Options
    Three week stall seems to be common. I keep expecting the loss to slow but it keeps coming at this point. I weigh almost daily but I am trying not to get tied to what the scale says. Heck, it changes through out the day depending on what I do. I just like seeing the lower number on the scale and sort of don't believe it lol....
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm just home from the hospital today from my Gastric bypass and was shocked to see that i actually gained about 10 pounds in the hospital. I had complications from the Anesthesia or the morphine and ended up spending 3 days in the ICU getting pumped with fluids and blood so perhaps that is the reason for my gain. I'm not worried about it I know I made the right decision and the weight will start dropping again the more I exercise.
  • CruellaClo
    Options
    This was all good advice. I look back at this post and laugh. I will be 9 weeks post op tomorrow and realzie now that sometimes my body (liver) needs time to catch up to the weight loss.

You just have to stick to healthy eatting, portion size seems to no issue because I just can't eat anymore and move!

I feel greedy now and want to lose more weight...but I am also thankful for the 40 lbs that I have lost.

By the way I need some motivational friends so if you are interested FRIEND ME.

Cheers.
  • Simona38
    Simona38 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Stalls will drive you batty!

Im just now coming out of the stall from hell!! Im not kidding...it lasted months! My weight didnt change from December to March!
  • CruellaClo
    Options
    Sometimes... posting and others adding comments.. Keeps me from feeling alone. Like I was the only one who ever stalled. Every time I start stressing because the scale isn't moving. Convinced that I am horribly failing... a little weight drops. I just have to keep faith.
  • BettyCC
    BettyCC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I just got sleeved 2 1/2 weeks ago and the scale hasn't moved in 8 days. I understand about glycogen stores and water weight and I'm trying to be objective, but I NEED THAT SCALE TO DROP! Also everyone calls it the three week stall, but my stall started at like a week post surgery. How long was your stall?
  • CruellaClo
    Options
    Mine lasted about 10 days... I thought maybe they didn't do the surgery correctly. I laugh when I look back at my original post. I am now 3 months post op and down 50lbs... I have come to expect stalls and just try and breath through them. I am actually on a stall now the loss has slowed down... too slow. But we have to be patient with ourselves.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I see your weight is moving again! Congrats!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    Hello all:

I have put up a new thread for the rest of the year for the group. Please join us if you can. See link below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/653831-weight-loss-surgery-daily-conversation-2012?page=1#posts-9523870