Holy ---! Stop the thyroid madness...

Options
Elizabeth_M
Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
So I posted my first post to this forum yesterday and a poster recommended this site. I am just reading this for maybe 15 minutes and I think I have to pick my jaw up off the floor. :noway:

To sum up some of the things I notice from my own personal medical history that relate to being on only T4 meds:

- I am on only T4 medication
- I have poor iron levels
- when pregnant with my last child, I had good iron, but low iron storage
- I suffer from depression, and on anti depressants for that (perhaps due to lack of T3?????)
- I experience a WHACK of symptoms that people have reported experiencing from T4 only treatment - even weird things like internal itching of ears!
- current inability to lose weight (been at a 3 month plateau)

I really have to read some more and make an appointment with my Doctor and be more of an advocate for myself.

Wow, what an eye-opener.

Replies

• embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It sounds like you have made some great discoveries! My husband tells me that I am my best doctor with all the research I do! I had to search online for a doctor that would prescribe armour thyroid (found some review comments mentioning other people's prescriptions). Even once I was on it, I went back and told him I was feeling fine, but wanted to take the pill twice a day in hopes of it staying in my blood throughout the day. He said he had never prescribed it that way, but it soundalike it would work. So he lowered my daily amount a little and split it in two. I was feeling the same as before, so I took it upon myself to start chewing the armour AND I think I am finally seeing a difference! I have been sleeping sooo well lately!

Doctors can suggest we do anything/everything/nothing, but it is up to us to figure out what is best for us!

Good luck!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yay!! You are taking the first steps to educating yourself and finding the path to getting rid of your hypo symptoms!! Most doctors are still treating hypothyroidism the way they did 40 years ago -- and they don't even test for the levels of hormones, etc. that you need to feel good!!

Be prepared for resistance from your doctor -- most will not prescribe Armour. they will tell you it is "unstable", doses vary, it comes from pigs and not for people -- it's really hilarious the crock of crap that they come up with. Insulin comes from pigs for heavens sake --- should all diabetics stop taking insulin? And Armour is regulated and the doses are 100% stable and accurate. So, don't let them feed you this line of poo...

And please know that Armour will not work completely perfect if your adrenals are not good -- it's important to get a 24 hour saliva test for adrenals. You also need good Ferritin/Iron levels, Vitamin D, etc.

The site recommends the labs you should have. One thing I'm pretty sure of - you won't feel better on T4 only. T4 is an INACTIVE hormone -- all it does is make your TSH look better -- it does nothing to relieve hypo symptoms.

Terri
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys!

Planning on making an appt with Doctor and get some more labs done - and doing some reading, so that I am armed with info!!! Kind of excited that I may be in reach of the key that will help me lose some weight and get out of this now 4 month plateau!!
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make a list of how I am feeling and questions for the Dr. Good Luck!