How to fight the fatigue

Options
2»

Replies

• kmpierce0331
    kmpierce0331 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went gluten-free back in 2010 and within days noticed a difference. My fatigue and muscle pain were greatly diminished. I still have flare ups (especially if I eat something I don't realize has gluten in it - I'll have fatigue and pain within and hour), but those are generally caused by stress or when I try to push myself to far physically...
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I took Ambien about a year ago, and I would go into such a deep sleep that it scared me, and I would actually lose chunks of time from when I was awake. I had to wean off of them and that was about 40 hours without sleep till I think I literally passed out from exhaustion.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing for me is that I have learned through trial and error over the last 5 years how much I can handle. I know typical triggers and I try to take those into consideration every day.

Sleep is a huge thing for me. I need between 8-10 hours. It's just how it is. Some people think it sounds like a lot but for me personally this is necessary for functioning throughout the day.

I also keep in mind that I never want to deplete my energy stores. So when I plan my day I always consider how much I can fit in. For example if I have a busy day I know that I will not be able to make dinner, so I might just grab a meal bar that day. The main thing is that I never want to find myself at the end of my rope-that means I have done too much.

I used to rely on Coke to keep me going. It was sure great for that. Horrible for weight loss, but great for keeping you awake and giving you energy. For some reason coffee gives me the jitters so I can't drink it too often.

I notice that eating raw foods, fresh vegetables and fruit, low sodium, low carbs, avoiding sugar as much as possible, are all things that contribute to feeling better and less exhausted.
  • deedeewiita
    Options
    This is a new diagnosis for me, just in the past month. I wondered why I am always tired, cannot sleep at night. I feel that losing weight will be the best avenue for success. Also I am fortunate to work at home doing transcription so when I am overwhelmed I just take a nap and feel refreshed. Sometimes I wonder though if the nap is the reason for the sleeplessness at night.

Exercise helps too. I walk my two litlte pug dogs on good weather days and feel more energized afterwards. I look forward to input from those of you who have walked this road a while and can give me tips on conquering FM.
  • sistrckv
    sistrckv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am taking Ambien now and I get sleepy and turn off the light and then I get this compulsive urge to get up and eat (usually something sweet) this happens almost every night . I know i am doing it, I just don't seem to be able to help it; I have even prayed that I will resist it! I could have stayed on my diet and exercize plan all day and I blow it in this semi sleep, eating binge! Does anyone else have this side effect? I tried not taking it and I took some benedryl instead but I could not stay asleep. I have a routine doc appt next week and I plan to report it to him and see what we can do.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am taking Ambien now and I get sleepy and turn off the light and then I get this compulsive urge to get up and eat (usually something sweet) this happens almost every night . I know i am doing it, I just don't seem to be able to help it; I have even prayed that I will resist it! I could have stayed on my diet and exercize plan all day and I blow it in this semi sleep, eating binge! Does anyone else have this side effect? I tried not taking it and I took some benedryl instead but I could not stay asleep. I have a routine doc appt next week and I plan to report it to him and see what we can do.
    Actually, I have heard of that side effect from another poster! I think they were eating in their sleep!
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That sounds terrible. I had a bout of insomnia that lasted for several months and I literally thought I would go crazy. It was awful. The doctor would not prescribe sleep medicine. I did end up using Tylenol PM or Advil PM (forget which) and that seemed to help but then I was groggy for half of the following day.
    It's a terrible problem! I really hope you will find out something positive from the doctor because that is a scary side effect!
  • kimiel51
    Options
    This seems to be a really common problem for menopausal women. I'm not sure about men, but I hear lots of women complaining about this. Personally, I don't think I have slept well since giving birth 32 years ago! LOL!:laugh:
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't know that we can conquer FB, but we can certainly get a handle on it. I am hearing more and more about "eating clean" and my husband and I are weaning into it, baby steps. A good night sleep is a must, that is proven and the dog walks are great. I have two small dogs also that I walk 3 to 4 times a day for about 15 minutes a walk. That is what I can handle, it works for me. The cold damp weather is aweful for me,does anyone else notice that? I live in PA, so there isn't much I can do on bad days, but moist heat helps. My TENS UNIT is also great for bad days like that.Hope that helps, DEEDEE. Red
  • BeautySansTheBS
    Options
    Fatigue has been an issue with me lately, especially since I'm going almost med-free for the first time in three years and recently gave up coffee....the first few nights after reducing/ending the med that helped me sleep were HORRIBLE, and work was always really hard the next day, but it got better.

At work, I when the fatigue hits (boy do I miss the days of working from home) I take a short walk, or have a low-cal high-protein snack (the Laughing Cow cheese wedges are good) and that helps for a few hours.

And like many of the posters above--sleep almost always makes a difference. If I get to bed early and am not woken up in the middle of the night by my night-owl boyfriend, I don't feel like crap the next morning!
  • BeautySansTheBS
    Options
    I don't know that we can conquer FB, but we can certainly get a handle on it. I am hearing more and more about "eating clean" and my husband and I are weaning into it, baby steps. A good night sleep is a must, that is proven and the dog walks are great. I have two small dogs also that I walk 3 to 4 times a day for about 15 minutes a walk. That is what I can handle, it works for me. The cold damp weather is aweful for me,does anyone else notice that? I live in PA, so there isn't much I can do on bad days, but moist heat helps. My TENS UNIT is also great for bad days like that.Hope that helps, DEEDEE. Red

My physical therapist warned me that cold, damp days would probably make me ache, and boy was she right! I've been using a Thermophore moist heat pad for a few years, and that really helps! Also helps me sleep when I'm too achy to rest.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My rheumatologist just prescribed Ambien for me; I've only used it once so no clue as to how it's going to work overall. I need something though, because I'm sooo tired of waking up all night. Makes it rough because I get up at 4am for work, so I have to keep checking the clock since I don't know if I'm awake because I can't sleep, or if I'm awake because it's actually time to get up. Heh heh ugh.:ohwell: We'll see how it goes...
  • fjrandol
    Options
    My rheumatologist just prescribed Ambien for me; I've only used it once so no clue as to how it's going to work overall. I need something though, because I'm sooo tired of waking up all night. Makes it rough because I get up at 4am for work, so I have to keep checking the clock since I don't know if I'm awake because I can't sleep, or if I'm awake because it's actually time to get up. Heh heh ugh.:ohwell: We'll see how it goes...
    Sooo, started taking the Ambien on Friday, and still not sleeping well (although I almost fell asleep at my desk yesterday because I was so tired). Have a call in to the doctor's office to see if he'll prescribe something else to try.:yawn: I need a nap.
  • kimiel51
    Options
    Sooo, started taking the Ambien on Friday, and still not sleeping well (although I almost fell asleep at my desk yesterday because I was so tired). Have a call in to the doctor's office to see if he'll prescribe something else to try.:yawn: I need a nap.
    Maybe you need a different dosage?
  • fjrandol
    Options
    The doc got back to me pretty quickly and had already sent a different prescription into the pharmacy. He has me on 50mg of Trazodone, which has me sleeping pretty. I only woke one night out of the last two weeks, and we were having very heavy winds that day. Yay for sleep!:smile:
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I read the book From Fatigued to Fantastic. It is for Fibro patients and those with CFS. I am currently trying some of the recommendations in the book, such as d-ribose, coq-10, and adrenal stress end. I am thinking about getting the revitalizing sleep formula as well. I currently take 1.5 mg of melatonin nightly, but am concerned that it may contribute to my fatigue the next day.
  • lifehappy2012
    Options
    I appreciate the infor you offered. Which website do you order from ? Thank you !
  • katduck8
    katduck8 Posts: 13
    Options
    So glad to find you all here. Sometimes its a lonely road. I work 40 hrs weeks, so I just have to really rest on the weekend. It does help, but feel like I miss out on alot.
    We have a Simmons talalay foam bed, and it is wonderful.. i spent a night in the hospital and talk about miserable! Could not wait to get in my bed. It just hugs you!
    We are having a cool, rainy weekend, not much pain, but getting lots of rest.
    One more thing, I have started to eat cleaner, and I already feel much better.
  • lovespinkflowers
    lovespinkflowers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how to.. and forget it if I do something fun.. it takes me days to get back to "normal" I talk about a flare up ouch..
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    new to the group....:smile: