2012 races!

Options
13»

Replies

• Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Hiya, I'm new to MFP and this board. Have signed up for the Liverpool Half Marathon which is on March 18th and I'm struggling at the moment! Trying to stick to 1200 cals at least 5-6 days a week and slightly more 1-2 and legs are really aching. Am only up to about half the distance at the moment and just over 4 weeks to go - looks like I won't manage to run it all :o( Any tips?

Eat your exercise calories, you need to fuel your runs and re-build your muscles afterwards!

Check your MFP settings to lose 1lb a week rather than this arbitrary figure of 1,200. You'll stop feeling hungry and sore and will run tons better!

Stretch, stretch, stretch after running.

Finally do the race, but run/walk it. You can definitely run half the distance, right? Try running three minutes and walking two. You can do this!

This is good advice. Most of all eat GOOD excercise cals. Take two days off a week and rest. My daysd are Monday and Thursday. Therefore my Monday rest is after I've peaked on my long Sunday run. Eat good food.

Is it your first race (at this distance)? How long have you been running? I.E. Whats your base to start from etc?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Other than the London Marathon I'm never running a race again.

Except the local Sports Relief 6-miler in the run-up.

And the Race For Life I do every year.

And the Surrey Warrior Dash I've signed up to.

And it's be rude not to do the Enfield Mayor's cross-country 10K in October...
  • JoJ74
    JoJ74 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on this thread :o) I've only ever done a 10k and 5k before, have never run this far - race is in 3 weeks and 6 days - eek! I have upped calories but didn't do well on Saturday's run, only managed 5k as legs were aching. May have been generally tired though, few early starts with the kids :-/
    I usually only run every other day because I don't have time and husband also exercises and I get too tired.
    I got myself some supplements too, you never know :o)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on this thread :o) I've only ever done a 10k and 5k before, have never run this far - race is in 3 weeks and 6 days - eek! I have upped calories but didn't do well on Saturday's run, only managed 5k as legs were aching. May have been generally tired though, few early starts with the kids :-/
    I usually only run every other day because I don't have time and husband also exercises and I get too tired.
    I got myself some supplements too, you never know :o)
    Go slower and take one-minute walk breaks right from the start, before you HAVE to take them! More info here:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Food is more important than supplements as far as tiredness goes - I have two portions of instant porridge with milk and honey before a long run and take energy gels every hour for anything over 90 minutes.

Every other day is plenty - I'm training for a marathon on three runs a week and two sessions of cross-training.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd list my revised plan for 2012

April 22nd Offa's Orror 20k

May 20th Denbies 10 mile

May 27th London BUPA 10k

June 23rd Wales Trail Half Marathon

July 14th Pen Y Fan Mountain Race

October 27th Snowdonia Marathon

November 17th Human Race Wildman

December 2nd The Grim

December 8th Human Race Mudman

Will be booking a few races for August / September leading up to my first Marathon.
    Edit Report
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm running sports relief 6 miles this weekend.

12 May, I'm running the Stamford 10k for cancer research.

Then I'm toying with either the Milton Keynes NSPCC Half (8 July), or the Lake Vyrnwy Half (that looks *so* beautiful!) in September. Or I might do both....

Edited to add: Actually I've just had another look and decided I'm definitely going to do the Lake Vyrnwy Half. It just looks too good to miss. Is anyone else doing it?

http://lakevyrnwyhalfmarathon.com/index.htm
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    I'm running sports relief 6 miles this weekend.

12 May, I'm running the Stamford 10k for cancer research.

Then I'm toying with either the Milton Keynes NSPCC Half (8 July), or the Lake Vyrnwy Half (that looks *so* beautiful!) in September. Or I might do both....

Edited to add: Actually I've just had another look and decided I'm definitely going to do the Lake Vyrnwy Half. It just looks too good to miss. Is anyone else doing it?

http://lakevyrnwyhalfmarathon.com/index.htm

Ooooh like the look of that - handy for the Snowdonia Marathon in October
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I need to commit to some of these trails. But im just focusing on London for now, i think i probably will do the snowdonia one, its right in the middle of my partying season though!
  • JoJ74
    JoJ74 Posts: 14
    Options
    I did my first half, it was hard but I got round. Straight after I said never again but I already want to do it again next year :o) I might do the Liverpool Women's 10k in 5 weeks. And then later in the year I'd really like to do a Hellrunner! At the moment I am working on upping my pace and HIIT by running up the hill by my house. I think its about time I pushed myself more and got a bit fitter.
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    Hi all!
    2012 races will be:
    Sep - new forest marathon
    Oct- run to the beat half marathon
    Not sure what to do in the winter. Any ideas??
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    2012 races will be:

I'm also doing Run to the Beat this year - itll be my second time, not doing it again after this one though 47quid is quite steep for a half. Will be looking for a new one next year.
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options
    Hi all!
    2012 races will be:

I'm also doing Run to the Beat this year - itll be my second time, not doing it again after this one though 47quid is quite steep for a half. Will be looking for a new one next year.

Oh fab! Yep it is a bit steep but London is so close to me it would be rude not to do it :)
  • Dizzle_65
    Options

Sothern based races - Human Race have several events througout the winter, http://humanrace.co.uk/events/trail-running

You also have The Grim in December http://original.grimchallenge.co.uk/ which is very muddy and more than just a run.

This looks very good. http://www.eventstolive.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=26
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I like the look of that hill challenge Such! Everyone should run a GRIM. They're awesome, and a bit of fun, which is lacking at a lot of races IMO
  • Lucylikesrunning
    Options

Sothern based races - Human Race have several events througout the winter, http://humanrace.co.uk/events/trail-running

You also have The Grim in December http://original.grimchallenge.co.uk/ which is very muddy and more than just a run.

This looks very good. http://www.eventstolive.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=26

Thanks such! I will look at those :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Lucy, there's a full marathon at Rutland Water in late November, which has good reviews. Not sure if that's wintry enough for you, though.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Did VLM - April
    3 Peaks 24hr Challenge (hiking up / run down!) - May
    Great South Run - 10mi - October
    Norwich Half Marathon - November

Do fancy doing one of these Grimm ones I keep hearing about as they sound fun too. Dont know much about them so must google!!

DF :flowerforyou:
  • deesaf
    deesaf Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi anyone else doing the Ealing half in west London. It's the first year
  • Dizzle_65
    Options
    Hi anyone else doing the Ealing half in west London. It's the first year

Been thinking about it. It fits in well with my Marathon training but not sure about the road running. Try and avoid it as much as possible even though my Marathon is on the road (Snowdonia)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Toronto Marathon - May

London/GB 10k - July

Loch Ness 10k - September

Great North - September

Leicester Half Marathon - October

Nike run to the beat London Half Marathon - October

Savannha Ga Rock' and 'roll marathon - November