My fit Pals - What's your fav. healthy snack, food, recipe?

Options

Replies

• rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    recently found these....

perfect food bars. they are sooooo good. if you're one of those eat PB out of a spoon types, you will freaking love these. they have to be refridgerated, so that's where you would find them in a store. i got them at earthfare, so i imagine whole foods carries them.

seriously yummy. all organic. 17-18 protein in the peanut butter ones. around 300 cals and totally worth it.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches for that Ice Cream fix. Delish!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Does anyone else wake up in the middle of the night starved?
    A little off topic, but when you're eating more (read: enough) you won't wake up hungry. You're on the right track. Keep it up. :)
  • bmuff
    bmuff Posts: 64
    Options
    bump
  • D_Ray
    D_Ray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 portion Vache Qui Rit cheese on a brown rice cake (Koyo) or split between 2 Ryvita Crackers (love it on Sesame crackers), with 1 cup cucumber slices or dill pickle

or

organic peanut butter on brown rice cake or Ryvita with an apricot

or

1/8 cup walnuts, 30 gm of cheese (love x-old cheddar), green apple

or zucchini slices dipped in fresh salsa & hunk of cheese (go gently, now - LOL!) or a hard-boiled egg

to name a few faves!
  • D_Ray
    Options
    OMGosh! That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

That reminds me of another favourite of mine:

cucumber slices dipped in hommous (instead of using pita)

You can experiment with other veggies, too, but for some reason cucumber really cranks the wheel of my tastebuds!
  • D_Ray
    Options
    So sorry! My first post. Was trying to reply to this!
    This isn't much of a recipe but its a great go-to snack:

I take two hard-boiled eggs and cut in half. I don't like hard-boiled yolks so I toss them but you could eat them if you want. Then I take hummus and fill in the egg white hollows. I use 2 Tbsp total.

You could probably mash the hummus and yolks together to make like a deviled egg but I am not a fan of deviled eggs either so I have never tried it.
    This is soooooooooo creative. Another way to eat hummus.
  • bamainms
    bamainms Posts: 3
    Options
    I am new here and love food.I am diabetic and have to eat right to control my sugar.I love to try new recipes that are healthy.
    any help here will be greatly appreciated.
  • SnarkyMam0610
    SnarkyMam0610 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love Luna Bars and Cliff bars!

Fat Free Cottege cheese + tomatos or peaches/blueberries
  • allieguerra22
    Options
    yummy!
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast or tenders marinated in lime juice, olive oil and a little salt on the grill. Add avocado salsa (avocado, chopped tomato,diced red onion, season to taste). This is one of our favorite dinners lately.

this sounds soooo good, and I've had the avocado salsa, and I need to make it again!:bigsmile:
  • camsmommy2008
    Options
    I made philly cheesesteak stuffed green peppers this weekend...low carb....and around 300 calories.....

*Whole green pepper cut top off and scoop out seeds
    *Put a piece of provolone cheese in bottom
    *Sautee mushrooms, onion and garlic
    *Thin slice deli roast beef and add to mushroom/onion/garlic sautee
    *Stuff pepper with mixture
    *Top with a piece of provolone cheese
    *Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese on top gets golden brown....

Yummy alternative to philly cheesesteak without the carb load of the bread
  • chersheppard
    chersheppard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I made philly cheesesteak stuffed green peppers this weekend...low carb....and around 300 calories.....

love philly cheese steak, so I must try this, thanks for sharing.
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options

Sounds delish. I will be sure to try this.
  • camsmommy2008
    Options
    The green peppers are amazing!!!! Everyone should try them. I was so excited since they are 13 carbs and 300 calories for a large green pepper stuffed with filling :)
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    okay this isn't my favourite, but it's delicious!! have it every night before bed, it's the perfect bedtime snack:

1 scoop casein protein (i use ON cookies n cream)
    1 TBSP almond butter
    add almond milk and stir until you get a pudding like consistancy

stick in the freezer for half hour then eat!! like pudding/ice cream :)
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt, 1/2 scoop protein powder, straberries or blue berries, sliced almonds = best snack EVER :)

Whole grain tortilla spread with natural peanut butter, banana slices, wrap, eat. YUM.
  • BADGIRLstl
    Options
    Warm Spinach with Chicken Sausage - Nut facts - 179 cals, 7g fat, 19g carbs, 14g protein, 7g fiber, 75mg calcium, 3mg iron, 493mg sodium

Need -

Cooking Spray
    4 links fully cooked Italiain flavored chicken sausage
    2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
    15-ounce can low sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup presliced sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
    1 - 5 oz bag baby spinach leaves
    1/4 tbs Olive Oil
    1 Small Rosemary sprig

Directions -

Coat a large skillet w/ cooking spray and heat over med-high heat . Meanwhile, cut each sausage link on the bias into 1/4 inch thick slices

2) Add sausage to hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally for 6 mins.or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low; add garlic and stir. Add beans and sun dried tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for 2 mins or until mixture is heated through.

3) Add the spinach in batches, using a spatula to quickly fold it into the bean mixture after each addition. Add pepper and continue tossing spinach with the beans until just barely wilted about 1 minute. Remove from heat and divide among 4 plates. Drizzle evenly with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and serve immediately.

I wish I could post the picture b/c it looks delicious.
  • lolamwest
    lolamwest Posts: 40
    Options
    Any lean meat/fish recipes?

What you will need:
    1 pound Ground turkey or chicken
    4 medium zucchini's
    1/2 cup mushrooms (optional)
    1 small onion finely chopped
    1/4 cup fresh parmaseam
    italian seasonings (i use basil, and oregano)
    1 teaspoon fresh garlic.
    2 tbs.Extra Virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350
    Add 2 tbs of oil to brown the onions and garlic in a fry pan until the onions become translucent, once translucent add the mushrooms. Cook for approx five mins on medium heat and set aside.
    Brown lean ground meat in the same pan until fully cooked. Use italian seasonings to add flavor.
    while meat is browning, wash and half the zucchinis from to to bottom. use a spoon to remove the seeds and create a boat. you will have 8 boats.
    Line a cookie sheet with the zucchini boats
    Combine cooked meat, onions, and mushrooms, and use a spoon to fill the zucchini boats with the mixture.
    cook in 350 degree oven for 20 mins
    remove from oven, sprinkle parmasean cheese over zuchini, and cook for an additional seven minutes, until chese is golden brown.

These healthy sqush boats can be served with brown rice or a nice greek salad for a light and refreshing meal.

Also when cooled, you can take them just about anywhere for a quick, protein filled snack.

Also I combine three TBS of fage yogurt with a teaspoon of Dijon mustard to make a delicious sauce for my Fresh sliced turkey meat and spinach rolls.
    Simply line turkey slices with yogurt sauce and add spinach. :)

you can hold the rolls together with a tooth pick.