Can we do a June challenge?

Options

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'll keep drinking water and hopefully Friday will show some better stats.

Libby, I had to laugh at the thought of the crazy floors! Six pounds difference?? I'd get so neurotic... At any rate, glad you're feeling better and that your week is going well, and I'll be sending gym-motivating thoughts your way this evening! It's so awesome to see everyone here popping up in my newsfeed with their workouts; I definitely feel motivated to get moving myself.
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Great job resisting temptation, Tabatha! I love the all-in-one-place spreadsheet idea. Let me know when it's up on Pinterest so I can steal it?
    If you look me up I have repinned it I think its in my projects board
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Glad everyone is doing soo good!!! Send some of that motivation this way!!!! Ive been doing horrible!!!! Ive been doing ok with food but not great I have made a few snack choices when noone is around and i havent been loging!! I cant seem to get myself back to working out!!! Its making me a little depressed!!! I declare tomorrow a start over day and I am gonna get this done!! I am going to Texas at the beginning on July and I have to get a bading suit!!! I hate the way they look on me now I want to feel confident next to my size 0 sister in law!! lol I dont wanna be that small but I want to feel good in my own skin!!!!!! ok here we go!! Starting over nothing to drink but water eating the right foods and stop snacking on stuff and eating so much salt!!!!!!! I must get up and workout everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok Need yall to hold me to this!!!!!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hello Brides! I am actually getting married in September but June is my month to really kick it up with getting in shape! I actually just started crossfit a few weeks ago and man does that kick my *kitten*. I am going tonight and I am honestly a little scared of the workout for today LOL.

Here are my goals

1. Go to crossfit 3-4 times a week.
    2. start running again, 1 time a week at least.
    3. fit better in my jeans!
    4. Don't weight myself until July and trust in eating right and being healthy with workouts!

Glad to see so many brides!
  • go4itjoanna
    go4itjoanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey all you beautiful Brides! How is it going? We are almost a week into June!

So I just sent a magazine off to print and now I have 16 days before I get on a plane and head to Spain (we are having a destination wedding) and in 3 weeks today we are getting married. The heat is on!

Last night I sat down and put together a pretty hard core "last chance personal challenge" including both a food list and my workouts. I really like the food list. It makes it easy when I have not planned my meals to have a look and find something that I can eat that is high protein and good for me. I try to plan my meals out everyday but sometimes life happens and that does not work.

I don't eat meat so protein is always hard for me. I really struggle with getting my numbers up. But I am going to really give it my all the next to weeks and really to cut carbs / carb-cycle.

I wonder how much weight I can loose in 16 days with 95% dedication? I wanted to say 100% but I know that I will fall of a day or eat something that is not great or just not have time one day. So since I do not want to beat myself up, I have said that I need to stick with it to 95%

Todays workout is done. So now I just need to keep an eye on my food.

Happy Wednesday!
    Joanna
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Tabatha, you can do it! Cutting out drinks other than water is a great strategy, and I just read an article saying that as long as workouts last at least 10 minutes, you get a cumulative effect for the day (that is, 3 10-minute workouts are just about equivalent to 1 30-minute one). So even if your schedule can't fit a workout block of time, you can still get the benefits!

lostalykat, good to see you! I'm getting married in October, so I'm in about the same boat (I am waiting to hear that my dress is in, which is fueling my challenge). What exactly is cross-fit? It sounds tough!

Joanna--hooray!!! The magazine is done!! I'm really interested to hear what diet/exercise plan you're leaning toward for that last pre-wedding polish. Are you eating with skin/hair in mind? Do you have a last-chance fitting you're working toward?
  • BetsyG130
    BetsyG130 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I am so excited for everyone getting married this summer/fall!

I hope for June to be a momentum month to really springboard me into a fat loss July and August for my early September wedding (although my one and only real dress fitting is on August 11th so I actually have to be in ideal shape by then).

I hope to lose 15-20 lbs of fat by the first week in August and put on 3-5 lbs of muscle through clean eating and weight training with some HIIT cardio and low-intensity, high-duration exercise. Ultimately I would like to lose 7 lbs by the end of the month.

I thought I'd share my favorite healthy dinner recipe with everyone. I could honestly eat this every night for dinner:

Greek-ish Turkey Burgers

Ingredients
    1 pound lean ground turkey or beef -at least 90 percent lean (I usually use Jennie-O 93/7 lean)
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted green olives (2 ounces)
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    Cooking spray

Directions
    Combine the turkey, olives, onion, parsley, cumin, and pepper in a mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated. Shape into 4 burgers.

Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high heat or prepare an outdoor grill. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through (usually takes longer if cooking stove-top)

---> a MUST: Serve with Cedar brand cucumber garlic tzatziki sauce. So delicious and lowcalorie/high protein (made with greek yogurt).. We also serve with store-bough tabouleh.

Serve with roasted asparagus (lightly spray EVOO over asparagus spears and dust/top with your favorite spices/herbs or with fresh squeezed lemon juice ( I usually use a dash of salt, pepper, and a salt-free italian blend)

Serving size 1 burger
    - Per Serving (approx- might be slighly higher carbs because I add in onion): Calories 145; Total Fat 4 g; (Sat Fat 0 g, Mono Fat 1.5 g, Poly Fat 0.5 g) ; Protein 28 g; Carb 1.5 g; Fiber 0 g; Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 305 mg
    -Excellent source of: Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K, Manganese, Selenium, Zinc
    -Good source of: Fiber, Iron
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Joanaa- I am sooo excited for you!!!! Cant wait to hear how much you do lose! Spain sounds really fun!! You are gonna have a blast!
  • tabatha_burris
    Options
    Jessica- Thanks for that input! Didnt know that so even when I am crunched for time I can workout for 10 mins! Maybe that will be a good way to get me back on track is by doing 10 mins and working my way back up to an hour!!
  • go4itjoanna
    Options
    jessicawrites
    > I am trying to stick to a high protein low carb diet (and I do not really care about my fat intake - can be high or low). This is super challenging for me since I do not eat meat and do not want to eat fish everyday. But I am really trying hard. I am going to try to bake some protein muffins and bars to help me out. If they turn out good I will share!

And yes I am totally trying to keep my hair and skin in mind. So no refined sugar, no alcohol and no processed foods. I am trying to eat as clean as possible. A lot of berries, spinach and other fruits and veggies. I am eating healthy fats (olive oil, salmon, avocado, nuts and seeds) as well. And to make sure my fiber intake is high I am taking 2 tbsp of psyllium husk. I really recommend that one.

Also really making an effort to eat 5 times a day and to drink lots of water. I usually drink a lot of water but I am trying to up it just a notch.

tabatha_burri
    > Thank you so much! I am so super excited! A lot of small things left to do and plan but all the big stuff is in place.

Oh and girls... I run a design and lifestyle blog and on wednesdays I try to do a wedding post. I will also post my wedding and stuff on it later. If you are interested in being inspired do check it out.

http://simpleblueprint.typepad.com/

Keep up the hard work girl! You are all beautiful!
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hello Beautiful Brides! I am on my 3rd day of crossfit this week! it is super fun and a crazy workout. For the person who asked what crossfit is here is a basic description

CrossFit describes its strength and conditioning program as “constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement,"[3] with the stated goal of improving fitness (and therefore general physical preparedness), which it defines as "work capacity across broad time and modal domains."[4] Workouts are typically short—20 minutes or less—and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion. They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, weightlifting, and carrying odd objects; they use barbells, dumbbells, gymnastics rings, pull-up bars, kettlebells, medicine balls, and many bodyweight exercises.[5][6][7] These elements are mixed in numerous combinations to form prescribed "Workouts of the Day" or "WODs". Hour-long classes at affiliated gyms, or "boxes," typically include a warm-up, a skill development segment, the high-intensity WOD, and a period of individual or group stretching. Performance on each WOD is often scored and/or ranked to encourage competition and to track individual progress. Some affiliates offer additional classes, such as Olympic weightlifting, which are not centered around a WOD.[8]

It is lengthy but gets the best idea for everyone. I can already feel that my body is tightening up from it! I have also started eating more paleo/primal as much as I can. It is challenging cutting out bread and crackers and I am slowly cutting those things out. I am convinced doing both of these things will get me in killer shape by September.

The weekends are where I tend to falter and eat more unhealthy or eat out or drink alcohol. I just try to keep it to a minimum because cutting it out completely makes me super sad. I hope everyone is having a great day :)
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Friday updates!

CW: 128
    Pounds lost: 1.5

Thanks for the encouragement earlier this week, btw. The gain clearly was cycle-related, but it's hard to keep that in mind when I'm on the scale. It was really helpful to have the support and reminders that it was only temporary.

Good stuff: I avoided the worst of TOM cravings by snacking freely on cherries and sharing any of my favorite crave foods (popcorn, dark chocolate fudgy brownies) with friends. I also worked out three times this week: the short run on Friday, yoga on Saturday, and Zumba on Monday. Took a few walks, but I'm not really counting those right now.

Stuff to work on: I skipped swing dance class on Wednesday because I felt too dead. I need to avoid that happening because if we're going to swing dance at the wedding, we need to know how! Also, it's part of the larger problem of how to balance work/gym/down time. I'd love to hear about relaxation rituals you ladies use to recharge.
  • Libby0891
    Libby0891 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Congrats on all the progress folks are seeing. Good work!

So glad it's Friday (obviously). Anyway, here's my Friday update!

CW: 184.5
    Pounds lost this week: 1 lb.

Good: This was a decent week. I am really busy with work, but I still managed to get some workouts in and I stayed within my calorie goal on most days. I *really* didn't want to go to the gym yesterday, but I made myself go anyway, which was a personal victory. I also ran a 5K last Saturday and felt strong running the whole thing.

Not-so-good: I only did 3 out of my 5 goal workouts this week. I'm definitely going to focus on more exercise this coming week. Also, although I stayed within or close to my goal calories each day, I ate too many carbs and not enough protein. I need to make sure I get to the grocery store this weekend.

I'm hoping to have a (mostly) healthy weekend. I have a BBQ to attend tomorrow afternoon and I'm going to focus on not going overboard with snacks and drinks. I also want to go for a longer run sometime this weekend... maybe five miles? We'll see!

My other fitness goal is to get more serious about weight training. I'm a slacker in that department.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday so far.
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Hello! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I, haven't logged the homemade pizza, nuts, quesadilla, banana bread, and loads of movie theater butter popcorn I ate this weekend, but although I was a bit lax in some ways, I also filled up on lots of watermelon on movie night, drank water all weekend, ate baked chicken and mango for dinner one night, and last night successfully capped it at one (one!) slice of pizza because I listened to my body and realized that just because Andrew was still eating didn't mean I was still hungry, too. Plus, hot yoga was awesome. I can still feel the effects of Bridge and Wheel pose in my arms.

Weight this morning: 128.5

Zumba at another location tonight--we'll see how it goes!
  • go4itjoanna
    Options
    I was kidnapped by my crazy girlfriends for my surprise bachelorette party this past weekend. I think I burned 8000 calories laughing. Cant remember the last time I laughed so hard. That being said I did not stick to my plan over the weekend even if i did not eat bad I still had stuff that I am avoiding at the moment.... like lots of wine and champagne. So today I am back on it even if I am a little tiered.

Before they kidnapped me I had weighed in 2 pounds lighter than I did the saturday prior. So that is good. I want to see 2 pounds less this coming saturday as well. The way I am going to do it is high protein low carb.

So anyone have any specific goals for this week that they would like to share? And if so how you plan to reach them?

Our wedding is now 16 days away. we leave for spain in 10. No excuses Joanna. No excuses.

Lets rock this week!
  • Libby0891
    Options
    Joanna, your surprise bachelorette party sounds like a blast (and also a totally legit reason to drink lots of wine/champagne)! I'm glad you had a good time. A dose of good, hearty laughter with friends is the best.

So, Tuesday is a June challenge check-in day for me. This past weekend was so-so on the healthy eating/exercise front. I definitely didn't have great eating days on Friday and Saturday (too much good wine and a couple treats I could have done without). I got back on track on Sunday, and also managed to run four (slow) miles in the heat and high humidity, which was NOT fun! I did feel good after I finished, though.

So far, Monday and Tuesday are going okay. I'm hoping to get another jog in tonight! I can't believe June is almost half over.
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    So I just have to jump in and say the Zumba class I tried last night was awesome! Much higher intensity, bigger class, and felt much more like dancing than the class I tried the Monday before. It reminded me of the stylized warm-up routines we'd do in my college jazz class. Fun times!
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Friday update! (And halfway point of the month, if you can believe it):

Weight: 126.5
    Pounds lost this week: 1.5
    Total loss: 3.0

Good stuff: I am really excited with my progress! Eating lots of fruit and limiting after-dinner snacking, plus kicking up exercise, has been really good to me this month. I also made it to swing dance with Andrew this week, which besides being a decent workout is a date activity that we've been missing out on for most of the semester.

Stuff to work on: Strength training. I've been neglecting the arms and abs. I signed up for a kettlebell class next Friday; wish me luck!

I hope all of you ladies had a great week, and have a wonderful weekend coming up! Do something summery :-).
  • Libby0891
    Options
    It's Friday update time for me, too! I can't believe how quickly June is flying by.

I didn't lose any weight this week (sigh). I mostly stayed close to my calorie goal, but I didn't get as much working out in as I would have liked, so I'm going to work on that next week. I've been feeling tired and down lately, which I think is tied to sleep deprivation. Must get more sleep!

Good: Kept near my calorie goal. Didn't overeat at work lunches. Went for a couple of good runs. Cut back on sugar.

Bad: Too much sodium and carbs. Not enough working out.

I'm trying not to get too frustrated. I keep reminding myself that even though I'm heavier than I was a few years ago, I'm definitely in better physical shape.

Anyway, congrats on all the hard work, ladies! Hope you all have something fun planned for the weekend. I'm going to a friend's bachelorette party on Saturday night, which I'm really excited about. Should be fun!
  • jessicawrites
    Options
    Don't be frustrated, Libby! If you had a lot of sodium you may be holding onto water and might lose a bit over the next day or two anyway. Enjoy the bachelorette party!