I'm confused :/

Options
wa_tracy
wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
I've been reading and reading many of the discussion posts below...I really dig this concept, but don't know where to begin. There are so many things to take into consideration and could use some advice from those of you who have been doing this EMTWL for a while. My history...I'm a yo yo dieter...started 8 years ago. Last year I started on MFP,and lost 15lbs. Then I got mono, kept losing b/c I was so sick, and never got back on this MFP train. I weighed 158 at the time when I got sick. (I'm 5'1" by the way.) Here I am, a year later, and I've been on MFP for about 3.5 weeks. I've lost 4lbs so far and feeling good. I just really don't want to stop what I'm doing and the thought of eating more for 8 weeks scares me to reset my metabolism. I'm wondering if I should do that if I find myself at a plateau or where to begin. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated...because if I keep reading post after post on here, my mind might explode :wink:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you're currently losing weight, I'm not going to recommend that you start messing with things.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to do a reset, it just helps out. If you think it will be too stressful then don't.

I didn't start with a reset and have lost 6 lbs but I do think I should have done one. I plan to do a reset in a few more weeks.

Otherwise, go to the scooby site and plug in your info, then eat the number of calories it tells you.

It is a lot to take in but it does work.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    If you're currently losing weight, I'm not going to recommend that you start messing with things.

She didn't say how much she is eating, so if she isn't eating enough right now...sure she might be losing but could be doing more damage that will get her stuck down the road.

Personally, I would rather fix things now even if it means switching things up....rather than slowing metabolism and doing more damage in the long run.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options

She didn't say how much she is eating, so if she isn't eating enough right now...sure she might be losing but could be doing more damage that will get her stuck down the road.

Personally, I would rather fix things now even if it means switching things up....rather than slowing metabolism and doing more damage in the long run.

Yup!
  • wa_tracy
    Options

MFP has me set to net 1300, but I usually eat more than that b/c of working out. I'm 5'1", currently weight 174.2 (started at 178).
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

You metabolism is going to slow down either way, moderate deficit or not.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    The whole point of this group is to be eating more and losing though.

She is only eating 1300 calories which I am betting is under her BMR.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Really? Why? Because of a deficit in general?
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    Okay, yes your metabolism will slow to match what you are eating.

Would you rather have your metabolism trained to lose at 1200 or at 1800??? Personally, I would rather eat 1800 calories and lose weight.

I am losing more now than when I was eating 1200.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Not if you're gaining muscle. And yes it is possible to gain muscle with a SMALL deficit.
  • wa_tracy
    Options
    I didn't mean to start an argument. Just wanted your thoughts on if I should do a reset. I'm obviously looking into and changing to EMTWL since I'm here :wink:
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I didn't mean to start an argument. Just wanted your thoughts on if I should do a reset. I'm obviously looking into and changing to EMTWL since I'm here :wink:

You're right, this is not the place for any argument and it was not my intention to make your thread go sideways. I apologize if I contributed to that.

I think most people will recommend you do a reset.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and reading many of the discussion posts below...I really dig this concept, but don't know where to begin. There are so many things to take into consideration and could use some advice from those of you who have been doing this EMTWL for a while. My history...I'm a yo yo dieter...started 8 years ago. Last year I started on MFP,and lost 15lbs. Then I got mono, kept losing b/c I was so sick, and never got back on this MFP train. I weighed 158 at the time when I got sick. (I'm 5'1" by the way.) Here I am, a year later, and I've been on MFP for about 3.5 weeks. I've lost 4lbs so far and feeling good. I just really don't want to stop what I'm doing and the thought of eating more for 8 weeks scares me to reset my metabolism. I'm wondering if I should do that if I find myself at a plateau or where to begin. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated...because if I keep reading post after post on here, my mind might explode :wink:

Hey lady, so glad you are here:flowerforyou:

I apologize if you felt anything but warmth and the fuzzies:blushing: we pride ourselves on here at EM2WL...

Ok, I think a reset for you would be a good thing...reset your metabolism to where it should be so you can enjoy a tiny deficit and lose once the reset is over. There is a great video in the VId topic that will help break it down for you:-)

Again, welcome!
    Lucia
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Really? Why? Because of a deficit in general?

Adaptive thermogenesis.

As far as the OP is concerned, whether or not you're eating enough should be based on a number of factors including but not limited to:

1) Your daily energy needs. (TDEE)
    2) Personal preference to some degree.
    3) Micronutrient sufficiency.
    4) Macronutrient needs and whether or not you can meet those needs at your given intake levels.

Whether or not you choose to increase your intake should be based on these factors but strictly from a metabolic standpoint, there's no need to up your calories as you're still losing weight right now.
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OP...I, for one, am grateful to how found a way to lose weight without losing my sanity! ; ) I tried the 1200 calorie diet for 3 weeks and though I was losing I was MISERABLE and felt so unhealthy. I was eating far below my TDEE. I am so grateful to have found this group. I definitely made these EM2WL boards my home base because I am 100% behind the process. Glad to see you here and hope you get the information you're seeking! : )
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Seems like this is the perfect time to adopt EMTWL. You've had a little weight dip, which can be really motivating, yet metabolic damage from the last three weeks is probably not entrenched yet.

I lost 26 lbs eating just above my BMR (per MFP's automated recommendations), and I felt really powerful and in control. BUT I know and you know (as former yo-yo dieters) that this feeling of control is short-lived indeed as our metabolisms slow down to compensate for starvation.

I feel like I found the EMTWL just in time. :-) I started it before I hit a plateau because it made sense. Full disclosure: I initially regained 2 lbs and panicked a little. But I had lost inches in bust, waist and hips. I work out with weights and cardio, so I believe I've gained muscle and lost fat. I feel confident that I will lose scale weight in time, but I'm not concerned because my body is looking tighter and my clothes are fitting looser. :-)

I think that EMTWL is an eating strategy that I can sustain for life. There are many days when I actually have a hard time eating enough calories--not something I ever experienced on a "diet"--because the more nutrient-dense type of foods I'm choosing have fewer calories than the food I ate before. I don't categorize any foods as 'forbidden' or bad.' I just eat the freshest, most nutrient-dense foods I can afford and find, because I love how energetic I feel, and if I want a treat (which I usually do), I fit it into my calories. I do try to hit 40 carb/30 protein/30 fat every day, and feel it's affected my strength training for the better.