Coconut Oil Chocolates

Options
isys5
isys5 Posts: 213
I found this recipe today at http://www.naturalhealthstrategies.com/how-to-make-chocolate.html and had to share it :) They are so yummy, well I have been deprived of sweets for sometime so I may have low standards....but it is a great way to get the coconut oil in and actually enjoy the extra calories :) I had some chocolate heart molds on hand and I mixed up a batch wtih just 2T oil, 2T coco & 2 teaspoons brown sugar (did not have any shredded coconut) which made 4 chocolates. So I get to have 4 chocolates a day for treats to get my coconut oil in as I do not use oil in my diet so it was tricky adding the extra oil in. Not now :)

How to Make Chocolate: The Basic Ingredients

5 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
5 tablespoons of finely grated coconut
1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar (see notes below)
1 pinch of salt
Mix oil & coco powder together with fork until smooth then add sugar and any other ingredients you like. Pour into chocolate molds or ice cube tray and chill for about 10 minutes.

Optional Ingredients

- If you have natural vanilla extract, a few drops are a wonderful addition.
- a pinch of powdered cayenne pepper
- whole, chopped, or ground walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- fresh mint
- raisins or other chopped dried fruit

Replies

• ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • debbiepa
    debbiepa Posts: 45
    Options
    OMG-I just made a batch and it's great! I added the coconut and vanilla extract-tasted great! I have a hard time choking down the coconut oil plain-this is a wonderful alternative-thank you!
  • isys5
    Options
    OMG-I just made a batch and it's great! I added the coconut and vanilla extract-tasted great! I have a hard time choking down the coconut oil plain-this is a wonderful alternative-thank you!

no problem....may be a little too good, I can hardly wait for tomorrow to have more :)
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy! I can't wait to try it.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yum, I have all that stuff around the house.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how many calories are in each chocolate?
  • isys5
    Options
    I added them to my recipes but not sure if you can access them yet? The oil is 130 cal/T, cocoa is 15 cal/T and I use stevia with no calories so 145 for 2 chocolates the way I make them but it depends on the size of your mould. They are roughly 10 grams each though when I make them so I have 4 per day as I am trying to have 2T of the coconut oil per day for the health benefits and hopefully to speed up my metabolism & help my thyroid :)

My family is getting hooked on them too :)
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks!
  • beelikethebug
    beelikethebug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump—thanks!