You need to put the scale away. Yes, you.

Options
bradthemedic
bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
I know we all know there are bloat periods and that salt causes water retention etc. But for those of us on refeeds or on intense workout regimens, we need to stop weighing ourselves. I was up 5lb today over... 2 days ago. I know it's not fat but somehow psychologically it got me all deflated.

I think once we commit to fueling our bodies we should just stop caring what we weigh and instead only care about how we perform and look.

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Well said ... I'm with you on this one!!!
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Brad, i know your rigfht on this as i've gone up 3lbs in 3 days (after an initial loss of 5lbs on EMTLW)

BUT.......................in my heart i know i'm still not convinced, what if those 5lbs where a blip?

what if i put the scales away and end up bigger in a months time.

I could cry as i REALLY want to believe in this process, but after a lifetime of being told to eat less not more, its gonna take me more that 17 days to really trust in this regime(ahm Ligestyle change) and i'm not sure how i can do it without the scales.

PS: my measures have not changed either. (same as before i started)

any suggestions and if its just a good slap i need, feel free as well ;)

very disheartened today
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    the scale is something I have a hard time with. I need to just throw it away.
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know we all know there are bloat periods and that salt causes water retention etc. But for those of us on refeeds or on intense workout regimens, we need to stop weighing ourselves. I was up 5lb today over... 2 days ago. I know it's not fat but somehow psychologically it got me all deflated.

I think once we commit to fueling our bodies we should just stop caring what we weigh and instead only care about how we perform and look.

Yes!!!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Personally I like to see a pattern, weighing everyday and logging it on my target weight app I can see my downward trend - usually just after a weight increase.
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    the scales decide whether i have a good day or a sad/bad one, i should throw them out of the window!!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    the scales decide whether i have a good day or a sad/bad one, i should throw them out of the window!!

^^^^THIS^^^^

You all know my new mantra with regard to this: STAY OFF THE SCALE!!

What we are trying accomplish here is NOT so much about weight but about HEALING our abused bodies after years of low calorie eating.

HEALING: a much different process from just plain old weight loss.........

Good for you Brad! YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi Brad, i know your rigfht on this as i've gone up 3lbs in 3 days (after an initial loss of 5lbs on EMTLW)

BUT.......................in my heart i know i'm still not convinced, what if those 5lbs where a blip?

what if i put the scales away and end up bigger in a months time.

I could cry as i REALLY want to believe in this process, but after a lifetime of being told to eat less not more, its gonna take me more that 17 days to really trust in this regime(ahm Ligestyle change) and i'm not sure how i can do it without the scales.

PS: my measures have not changed either. (same as before i started)

any suggestions and if its just a good slap i need, feel free as well ;)

very disheartened today

Oh my, I am so sorry you are feeling sad this morning...but it is all a part of the process. Keep in mind, to gain one TRUE pound you have to eat 3500 cals above your TDEE...so that would mean you ate 10500 cals above??? No way, so the body takes time to adjust. To be honest, I was so stuck on the scale and I had to step away from it for a while. It will drive you bonkers.

Some things to consider is how are you feeling in general; do you feel better, do you have more energy, are your workouts more productive? Also, are your macros in line, are you hitting your protein and fat goals...oh that is important. Be consistent, give this a whole hearted go. We give low caling forever, we keep doing the same thing that didn't work, but find it so hard to give fueling a try. Trust me, once you get past the first couple month hurdle that seems like a 10foot wall, it does get easier...just take it one day at a time and come here anytime you are frustrated. We are here for you:flowerforyou:

Lucia
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't even OWN a scale. I guess this is a good thing.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    This is why I only weigh once a week, and measure every 2 weeks. I used to be the crazy one who weighed several times a day!
    But with this lifestyle (EM2LW), I don't feel the need for some reason. Now I'm just looking for trends.
    That being said, if you're addicted to the scale for whatever reason, go put it out of sight (out of mind), otherwise it will continue to taunt you. There are quite a few folks who have decided not to weigh during their reset. I support their decision, because it's right for them!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the basement and only weigh in once at the beginning of every month. I was weighing in every day and it affected me waaaaay tooo much. We cannot be defined by a number on the scale and it shouldn't determine our happiness. It is silly if you think about it. I still go through scale withdrawls, but the last time I checked I was pleasantly surprised.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    totally agree with everyone and have been enjoying my scale free month so far. It was ridiculous and frustrating to have it dictate what kind of mood i would be in all day.

I might just stay off until the summer is over!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the basement and only weigh in once at the beginning of every month. I was weighing in every day and it affected me waaaaay tooo much. We cannot be defined by a number on the scale and it shouldn't determine our happiness. It is silly if you think about it. I still go through scale withdrawls, but the last time I checked I was pleasantly surprised.

^^^^^ this^^^^^ I asked my husband to take the batteries out of the scale and take them to work with him! I was weighing in two to four times a DAY! My whole mood for the day was determined by what the scale read. I have been without the scale for two or three weeks now. My mood is a lot better and I am a lot less boring :wink:

I too get scale withdrawal but I am trying to go by how my clothes feel and what I measure. I had a blouse that I bought ten years ago. It got too tight and small, especially in the arms but I just could not bring myself to throw it out. Two weeks ago the arms were still tight, but I could get it on. Today :bigsmile: I am wearing that blouse! Woooohooooo! :bigsmile:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Normally I don't weigh but the last few days I've looked and felt so thin. So I get on to see if I'm right and.. Bam I'm higher than when I started MFP.

The reality is I don't even care what I weigh, I just want to look and feel good. So I'm not sure why I even care what the scale says period. But when the number comes in I'm trained I be sad for some reason.

So I'm suggesting we worry about the physical results. I know it works, I've felt like a different person this last month.

My muscles are getting nice and defined everywhere, my inches are melting, and I'm happier and feel better. So the scale can bite me.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with OP on this one! I've vowed not to get on the scale for the month of June while starting a reset. The first few days I felt miserable and out of control, now 7 days in I feel free and relaxed about the whole thing. The bloat is going away and I'm feeling stronger and more positive than usual. The scale still calls my name every day but, since I expect a gain while reseting, I'd rather see one gain at the end of the month than small ones every day.

I listened to a Leigh Peele podcast yesterday and she had an idea I really liked. She suggested weighing 2-3 days a month in a row, but only on mornings after a lower calories day and not during a time when you (women) know you will be having hormonal fluctuations. I'm lucky enough to know exactly what days of the month I will definitely but up 2-3# of water weight, so I plan to avoid those days.

I have yet to make it to TDEE (2500), but I'm working on it. Yesterday I did hit 2300 and feel great today!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Oh my, I am so sorry you are feeling sad this morning...but it is all a part of the process. Keep in mind, to gain one TRUE pound you have to eat 3500 cals above your TDEE...so that would mean you ate 10500 cals above??? No way, so the body takes time to adjust. To be honest, I was so stuck on the scale and I had to step away from it for a while. It will drive you bonkers.

Some things to consider is how are you feeling in general; do you feel better, do you have more energy, are your workouts more productive? Also, are your macros in line, are you hitting your protein and fat goals...oh that is important. Be consistent, give this a whole hearted go. We give low caling forever, we keep doing the same thing that didn't work, but find it so hard to give fueling a try. Trust me, once you get past the first couple month hurdle that seems like a 10foot wall, it does get easier...just take it one day at a time and come here anytime you are frustrated. We are here for you:flowerforyou:

Lucia

<3
    I second everything she said! :)
  • himel13
    himel13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you all mean..and I hope we can all work together to get past this. I fall into utter despair whenever I step on the scales..the same weight for over 8 months! There are days I feel thin, but still weigh the same..and there are days when I feel huge..and still weigh the same.
    This has to stop. I need to put my scales away..eat food when I'm hungry and exercise the best I can. If the weight comes off, well and good. and if not, thats fine..as long as I don't keep feeling this way about myself! At least, thats how it SHOULD be. Will work on it!
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am also enjoying a scale free month this far. and may follow suit with the poster who said about staying off till summer is over. if she decides to do that I will join you;)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am really considering destroying my scale. Ive been thinking about it for a few months now as Ive watched my scale climb up while I've been getting stronger and fitting into smaller pants.

A few weeks ago, I bought an omron BF analyzer which I know is not 100% accurate, but IMO better than trying to do calipers on myself. I plan on using that, and how my clothes feel, and progress pics, as a better gauge of progress than the scale.

I really do not care what lies the scale tells me if I am continuing to get stronger and fitter. My mindset right now is fueling my body and training hard. We'll have to wait and see where that takes me.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am really considering destroying my scale.

Judging by your ticker, you already did!!!:love::love: