Pizza!

Options
I made the hybrid pizza crust yesterday for dinner and it was actually pretty darn good.
I followed the recipe here:
http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/2011/02/hybrid-pizza.html

* I added a bit more cheese so I could make a larger one to last a few days
* I did not have coconut flour so I used almond flour instead.
* I did her suggestion of substituting half the cheese with steamed cauliflour

It was tasty but maybe a tad salty. It crisped up nicely and did not get soggy when I put toppings on it. (I made normal pizza for the rest of the fam so we put pizza sauce, pepperonis, mushrooms, and mozzarella). I think I will try different toppings next time. A slightly salty crust with salty toppings made it almost too salty. I think this crust would go perfect with a spinach, tomato and feta pizza, maybe a chicken and herb. Still, it was the best low carb pizza I've had. The kids even tried a piece and loved it.

The entire "Pizza experiment" with multiple types of crusts can be found here:
http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/p/great-pizza-experiment.html

Replies

• singitella
    singitella Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks so much for this! I've been making pizza on portobello mushrooms or just eating the toppings. I'll have to try this- looks good.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks for showing me the way to that stuffImakefor myhusband blog. Really cool. Don't know how she has time to train with all the cooking and creating she does.
  • JenniferDent_CHC
    JenniferDent_CHC Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recently made this deep dish pizza recipe. FABULOUS! The crust is delicious!

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2012/01/deep-dish-pizza-and-hidden-nutrients.html
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I'll have to try that deep dish crust idea. I think this thursday I am going to try the deep dish pizza on the Your Lighter Side blog. the pictures look amazing. I'll post how it turns out.
    http://yourlighterside.com/low-carb-deep-dish-pan-pizza/
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to make pizza with low carb crust, I end up disappointed. Of course, I am going to try dentje's deep dish link :)

But I always come back to putting cheese and pepperoni on parchment paper and baking it until it turns brown & bubbly (it shouldn't get crispy - use as much cheese as you would on a pizza). I cut it into pieces with a pizza cutter then when it's cool, roll up the pieces and dip them into low sugar pizza sauce.

It totally satisfies 3/4 of a pizza craving - cheese, toppings, sauce. The only thing missing is the crust. But I think I'd rather have no crust than "this tastes sort of like crust but not really" crust.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    Did you ever try the cauliflower crust? I do not love cauliflower but that's pretty good:) It's not perfect--have to eat it with a fork--but it works!
  • Fausttt
    Options
    I tried the cauliflour hybrid (uses almond flour, cheese, and a little flax as well as cauliflour) and it held up great. it was nice and crispy and did not need to be eaten with a fork. I posted the link above.
  • Fausttt
    Options
    Last I made the Deep dish pizza found here : http://yourlighterside.com/low-carb-deep-dish-pan-pizza/

It turned out pretty well.
    Food.jpg

It tasted pretty good. I think I used too much chicken and made it a tad too thick, so it tasted more like chicken than it should have. The outer edges (where it was thinner) crisped up nicely and held together quite well. The middle was not soggy, but didn't hold the weight well. I believe this was because it was too thick and did not crisp up enough. I will tweak the recipe next time i try it.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It tasted pretty good. I think I used too much chicken and made it a tad too thick, so it tasted more like chicken than it should have. The outer edges (where it was thinner) crisped up nicely and held together quite well. The middle was not soggy, but didn't hold the weight well. I believe this was because it was too thick and did not crisp up enough. I will tweak the recipe next time i try it.

I've made it twice and that's about how it is. It does taste chicken-y.

I use canned chicken, fwiw (I think I read that tip here).
  • Fausttt
    Options
    I've made it twice and that's about how it is. It does taste chicken-y.

I use canned chicken, fwiw (I think I read that tip here).

hmm maybe I can make a hybrid. Slightly thinner with slightly more cheese and maybe a little almond flour in there to replace some of the chicken. It is still pretty good. Definitely good to make when the rest of the family wants normal pizza.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm making the hybrid pizza crust tonight - I was able to find the flax meal & coconut flour!

Pretty excited to try it. I've been low-carb (100-125g/day) for about 1.5 months now, and keto (20-30g/day) for over 2 weeks. Desperately eager to have pizza again! :-)