Half Dome!

Options
angcubby
angcubby Posts: 31 Member
My husband and I climbed the Half Dome last Saturday! We weren't sure if we'd be able to get to the top...only because of how high the cables were. But we did it! I wasn't nervous at all. I am so proud of myself. We LOVED every second of this adventure. The entire day was beautiful. The scenery was breathtaking. The workout was intense! I was so sore for about 3 days. Today was my first day back at the gym. Anyway. Point is that everyone should put this hike on their "TO DO" list!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/464314_10151019815931217_940262346_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301862_10151019817811217_1559868243_n.jpg

Replies

• ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    That is awesome!! I would love to do Half Dome someday! Amazing pictures, thanks for posting and congratulations!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That is an adventure! Good for you. How long did it take you to do it? Any fear of heights? What did you find to be the toughest part? My husband climbed Half Dome years ago in college. (He was with the Audubon Exp. Inst.) He loved it. He said the toughest part for a lot of people was turning around and stepping over the edge when it looked like it was straight down...that first step. How was that part for you? It's something I'd like to do, taking into account a fear of heights I will be overcoming to do so. Thoughts?
  • ssdivot
    Options
    Good questions, I would like to know too how it looked coming down, if it is terrifyingly scary. I have concern about freaking and being afraid to move and having all these people behind me that I'm blocking, etc etc. I'm not super afraid of heights but I'm afraid of being afriad lol. I'm always afraid of slipping and it takes me forever going dowhill on anything approaching a steep slope. I don't live that far from Yosemite but I've never been. Well one time I did actually hike into the park but that was from the east side and there weren't many people up where I was.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    So jealous! Beautiful pictures too! We were out the last Spring, but it was too early for most of the major hikes. The waterfalls were all absolutely gorgeous from the melt and it snowed while we were there. Lol. We definitely have plans to go back sometime later in the year to get up to Tuolumne and some of the upper trails. :happy:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. We did some trails on there about 10 years ago.
  • angcubby
    Options
    We started the hike at about 550am and made it to the bottom of the cables at 945am. We didn't stop to rest very much. It took about 20 minutes to climb to the top of the cables. I thought that I might not make it because of a fear of heights...But I didn't have any trouble AT ALL. I was very proud of myself because I was not afraid. In fact, I turned to look down and around each time I stopped to rest. The views were breathtaking. The hardest part of the hike was the stairs coming up the Falls and then the stairs right before the cables. Climbing the cables was a piece of cake compared to the stairs. We made it back to the car by 415pm. We should have spent more time on top of the half dome. But we will do it again next summer!
  • ssdivot
    Options
    Thanks for the details! It sounds so wonderful :smile:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    That looks absolutely incredible! Now on my bucket list :)
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    That looks amazing. I can't wait to get out west and hike one day.
  • angcubby
    Options
    Everyone should do it!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good information. I feel encouraged to give it a try. Sounds amazing!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Wow - stunning photos...thanks for posting!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    That looks fantastic! I was supposed to Yosemite this year but it fell through. Maybe next year!
  • nationalparklover
    nationalparklover Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an amazing trip! I was at Yosemite back in 2009. Not in great shape and we had our 4 boys with us, including my oldest who was literally just beginning to recover from what turned out to be auto-immune hepatitis. He had just had the liver biopsy the week before and was being treated with massive doses of steroids and was just beginning to walk normal again. We also had our 6 year old with us. We only planned to hike up to the top of the first waterfall along the mist trail and that is all we did but I was so beat after that, I couldn't imagine going on from there. I would LOVE to get out there and do it the half dome hike sometime! Doing it all in one day is such an accomplishment! You should be so proud!! Did you train much for the hike? What kind of shape are you in? Just curious....
  • ewilder22
    Options
    I did Half Dome a decade ago with one of my brothers and my BIGGEST regret is that I didn't climb the cables cause I was scared. At some point I will make it back and do it again!! Great job!!
  • wendylou224
    wendylou224 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    awesome. I may be going this spring and didn't know if this would be too much for me or not. I love to hike, but have never tried anything like this.