No reset - will it work?

Vespyr
Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
I'm seeing a lot of people say they tried the TDEE - 15% but found that after 3 weeks or more it wasn't working so they did a reset. Someone also made a post to not make that mistake and do the full 8 week reset.

So I guess what I'm asking is starting at TDEE -15% not going to work? I'm about 1 week in at TDEE -15% and look and feel like hell. My pants are tight and I just feel frumpy and lumpy. I was never a VLC dieter. I did restrict to around 1500 (BMR=1640) for awhile but failed at it most of the time.

Has starting at -15% worked for anyone or am I bound to fail at yet another attempt to lose weight?

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Girl, I hope not, because it will take an act of God for me to eat my full TDEE. It's way too high. :grumble:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    No one can tell you for sure, all of the calculated numbers are just estimates anyhow.

Thing is, metabolic slowdown will happen no matter what size your deficit is, so I think it makes sense to err on the side of starting a little higher, and then cutting calories a bit more if you're not losing weight.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Starting at TDEE - 15% can work. There's nothing wrong with starting there if you feel that you do not fit the parameters of a yo-yo/vlc dieter. The symptoms you are experiencing are quite normal and don't necessarily reflect that you require a full reset. If you find that in 4 - 6 weeks, you see no results, up your calories by about 100 and see what happens. Or, if want, try a reset then. If you see results at TDEE -15% and then plateau, just take a diet break for a week, then drop back into your cut. The full reset is encouraged because most people have come from yo-yo diets or vlcd's and just wind up needing the reset anyways so if they want to reduce the time it takes them to start getting on path of losing inches/weight, jumping into it at the beginning saves time. But lots of people have seen initial losses starting at TDEE - 15% too. :smile:
  • Vespyr
    Thanks for the replies! I think I just needed a bit of confirmation that what I'm doing is ok. We shall see what happens in 3 more weeks or so
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I'm doing TDEE - 15% after years of f***ing up my metabolism on 1000-1200 calories and no reset. It's working so far (broke a plateau I hadn't been able to). This is about two weeks in. Things may change but for now, yes I would say it's working.

The worst that can possibly happen is that it doesn't work, and you try plan B. No one wants to have to do the full reset, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with skipping it and seeing if just TDEE - cut is sufficient. It very well may be. You will just have to experiment.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    i started with my cut value and saw results. everybody is different. i'd stick with it a bit longer. if you don't unbloat and start to lose after a few weeks consider a reset or up just a little, whatever you are comfortable with.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Girl, I hope not, because it will take an act of God for me to eat my full TDEE. It's way too high. :grumble:

Well logically once you are at goal weight/body composition you will need to eat at maintenance which for you would be pretty near to your current TDEE wouldn't it?

You may need to start practising some time.
    Just remember when the time comes, ....bananas = your friend!

:)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I didn't do a reset and I have lost 6.5 lbs so far.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    I've not done my reset as of my last weigh in I lost 6 pounds
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    I'm seeing a lot of people say they tried the TDEE - 15% but found that after 3 weeks or more it wasn't working so they did a reset. Someone also made a post to not make that mistake and do the full 8 week reset.

So I guess what I'm asking is starting at TDEE -15% not going to work? I'm about 1 week in at TDEE -15% and look and feel like hell. My pants are tight and I just feel frumpy and lumpy. I was never a VLC dieter. I did restrict to around 1500 (BMR=1640) for awhile but failed at it most of the time.

Has starting at -15% worked for anyone or am I bound to fail at yet another attempt to lose weight?

Hey lady I personally started by doing a cut because at the time I started upping it was due to me starving and I couldnt take it anymore...lol. When I finally started the research I went up to 20% cut...I lost weight then plateaued and went up to 15%. It worked out for me but had I known I would have done a reset and then cut by 10%.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    I started with TDEE - 15% cut. I am now 5 weeks in and have not lost anything. Gonna hang here another week and see what happens before I increase or decrease anything. I have seen 6-8 weeks trends before the scale starting going down. Hang in. We are all different. Different strokes for different folks, they say.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ANewLucia
    I started with TDEE - 15% cut. I am now 5 weeks in and have not lost anything. Gonna hang here another week and see what happens before I increase or decrease anything. I have seen 6-8 weeks trends before the scale starting going down. Hang in. We are all different. Different strokes for different folks, they say.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Donna don't decrease cals, if anything bump another 100 or do a reset.

Lucia
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87

Lucia

Thanks Lucia! You are such a workout beast. You give me a ray of hope:happy:
  • ANewLucia

Lucia

Thanks Lucia! You are such a workout beast. You give me a ray of hope:happy:

Oh my friend, I take pics and keep on yacking because if I can do it, anyone can! You stay encouraged...we got this!!!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
    I'm on my 3rd week of TDEE - 20%. I'm eating 1900 a day. This weekend I went over that a little but I'm not seeing any movement on the scale. In fact I'm up to 173 lbs as of today. Back when I stared the scale said I was 168 lbs. I'm starting to freak out a little as my stomach is starting to get real pudgy. I'm really hoping the scale starts to move in the right direction real soon.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 306 Member
    Needed to read this, I am not doing a reset either. Hoping this works.
  • Vespyr
    Goodish news - after a week of feeling like a rotund whale I sorta deflated again. My weight went back to what it was pre-EM2WL although my measurements have gone up a bit.
    I have noticed other benefits though and I'm writting this cause I keep getting discouraged and really need to see the silver lining.
    1. No more cravings - for real. I was a chocoholic...yesterday I had 2...yes 2 Brookside chocolates (they are the size of jelly beans). My cravings for sweets after lunch and supper have gone waaaaay down aswell. I barely even think about it because I'm not deprived. I CAN live like this.
    2. No more obsessing about food. I used to think about food all day every day. When do I eat next? Omg I want to eat that! Now it's like "Oh right...lunch".
    3. I can't really say much about energy or strength since this is my week off and I've been going to bed a bit too late. But I'm bouncing off the walls today.

Now I have to work on improving my macros. I'm also not sure if I'll start up NROLFW next week. I'll be starting stage 3, but part of me wants to just do cardio and maybe the 30 day shred for the summer. Going to the gym is much more appealing in the winter lol. Any opinions about that would be great!
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    I was at TDEE- 15% for almost 3 months. No loss, gained 2 pounds. I have been eating at maintence for 10 days and have dropped the two pounds and I am holding steady (other than stupid TOM). I plan on doing a 10% cut after 8 weeks as I only have about 10 more 'pounds' to lose.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Now I have to work on improving my macros. I'm also not sure if I'll start up NROLFW next week. I'll be starting stage 3, but part of me wants to just do cardio and maybe the 30 day shred for the summer. Going to the gym is much more appealing in the winter lol. Any opinions about that would be great!

Ugh, I SO hear you, it's one thing to hit the gym in the winter, but in the summer ALL I'm interested is running, biking, hiking, swimming....etc. I did a playground strength circuit last week that was fun - it's not necessarily "heavy lifting" but might be better for the psyche!