Its June, who's still with me!?

Options

Replies

• christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!!!! BRAND STINKIN' still have the new car smell NEW at stronglifts, but super duper excited. I was doing p90x, then tried new rules, but found them both too tedious...I just finished day 2 of stronglifts and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I will be with you starting Monday! :)

I've been doing NROL4W, but I just can't focus on it for some reason. I enjoy the basics too much I think. Squats, DLs, Bench, OH, Rows, you know :) I'm really excited about starting this.

Just need to get the nutrition side figured out ... blah! LOL
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I may get back to a 5x5 eventually but right now I'm doing this crazy powerlifting routine that starts with high (12) reps and, like, 50 percent of your 1RM and then goes down in reps up in weight until you are lifting your goal weight right before the competition. That's the IDEA anyway.

I had a hard time with the last few reps of each set in SL and I think it's because I didn't rest long enough between sets.

My lifts are now around 120/80/180 for squat/bench/deads. I am aiming for 150/100/250 but I will be stoked to get 135/100/200 at the meet. I need to up my bench, for real.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've only just recently started Stronglifts, but I've been stalking this group for a few weeks.
    I'm at:
    Squat 85
    Bench 55
    Row 75
    OH Press 55
    Deadlift 85
    I'm a runner and a crossfitter, but I started SL5x5 because I've been using running as an excuse to skimp on my lower body strength training. I get crazy-sore after a good heavy strength training session and my running suffers if my legs are sore, so I've been neglecting my lower body and favoring upper body. I figured stronglifts will give me a good, no-excuses, well-rounded full body workout.
    Problem now is how to find a balance. I've been doing SL twice a week, running 3 times a week, crossfit twice a week, and I try to squeeze in yoga and Pilates at least once/week each. I'm starting to think it might be a bit much. I keep adding crap on but not dropping anything!

Anyway, glad to have found you all. Let's see what the month brings...
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    Hi ladies! To those of you I was friends with you may have seen my account was deactivated...so sorry not to have given the heads up beforehand! I just had some personal stuff going on and had to remove it and MFP couldn't change my username from my first and last name, and I needed that changed. So, new start I guess! Bummed to have lost my progress so far, but just makes me set some new goals.

My son and I both are down with pneumonia since Friday, so my numbers haven't changed, and I probably won't start up again till Monday with my routine. Right now squats are at 120, Bench 60, Deads 130, OHP 60, and rows 80.

I hope everyone is doing well! :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with the last few reps of each set in SL and I think it's because I didn't rest long enough between sets.
    We bring a kitchen timer with us. It's magnetic so we just stick it to the rack. It forces us to get adequate rest. Most of the time, we set it for 3 mins cuz this *kitten* be hard! But sometimes I fail completely and set it for 5 mins. It really helps me to rest properly.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've been stalking this group for a while. I'm on week 8 of stronglifts. On Monday I did 145 in squats, 85 on bench, and 95 on barbell rows. On Wednesday I did 150 on quats, 60 on overheads, 145 on deadlifts. (all 5x5 except deadlifts)
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Still here! Squats-85, Bench-65, Row-70, Overhead-55, Deads-120. I have also added assisted pullups and dips to the end of my workouts with the hope of one day being able to do them unassisted!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I'm doing the SL 5x5 Minimalist program so the program the website has a few different exercises than what y'all are doing. I just started out so I'm looking forward to weight increases!

As of last night:
    Squat: 58.8 lbs
    Overhead Press: 55 lbs
    Deadlifts: 95 lbs
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Did my deads and OHPs last night, I am only doing 3x5s because of all the other training I am doing.
    3 x 5 deadlifts @ 200lb &
    3 x 5 OHP @ 77lb

The deads felt fine, will definately go heavier next week. The OHP were reasonably hard by the last couple of reps.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've been faffing about for the last couple of weeks, but have now joined a gym and am trying to stick to some sort of programme. I was planning on doing Stronglifts, but I really like the Starting Strength book, so I'm veering over to that. But on the other hand Starting Strength has deadlifts in every workout to start off with which I feel might be too much for me (at age 48).

Here are my starting weights (the weights at the gym are in kg).

Squats 22.5 kg (71 lb)
    Deadlift 45 kg (99 lb)
    OHP 15kg (33 lb) dumbbells
    I'll hopefully add in bench press next week.

The gym said to use the Smith machine for the bench press, but I don't like it, so I think I'll ask about using dumbbells. I used dumbbells for the OHP. I'd rather use a barbell, but I'm trying to fit in with how the gym does it.

I really struggle with the OHP.

Is anyone else doing Starting Strength? I couldn't find a group. Starting Strength introduces cleans after the first couple of weeks and I'm not sure about those. They look fun, but difficult! I did ask at the gym, but they seemed to be saying not to do them, so I'd have to do them at home. If I can't manage, I'll change over to the Stronglifts and the Pendlay rows.

(edited to add weight in pounds)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Did session 6 yesterday. This past week has been all over the place as I was away for the weekend, and will be again this weekend (though I did manage to squeeze in a 5x5 kettlebell workout over the weekend). Yesterday I did
    35kg squats
    25kg row
    25kg bench (this made me especially happy). I used the actual free bar bench press yesterday, as I'd used the smith for it before and wanted to see if I could manage. It was actually better, far better range of movement :)

Im am REALLY enjoying this
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Just did 100lb squats, 45 lb OHP, and 100 deads.

Not happy with myself today.

Found out my form has been off on squats for a while. I ask James all the time if I am parallel and he says yes (I explained what I meant by parallel first, too). Today I made him record it. I asked him if that's what it always looks like and he said yes. Not even CLOSE to parallel. Seriously. I was so proud that I am up to 100 pounds but I might not even be at 80 for all I know. I don't know when was the last time I went low enough for it to count!:grumble:

What do I do now? Deload to about 80 and have him tape that next time? Or keep at 100 till I can go low enough on that? Or something else? Ideas?

The OHP @ 45 was a victory for me though, first time trying it and ALMOST failed but did them all.
    The 100 lb deads I did last time but the next day my back felt funny so I didn't want to raise it and tweak something so I decided to stay at 100 again and the last rep was difficult but I did it.

But what do I do about the SQUATS? I will take any and all advice, even if you say I should kick him in the balls for misleading me for weeks....
  • kensky
    Options
    Vailara, the whole reason I switched from Starting Strength to SL is that I couldn't hack power cleans. I'm sure I could if I had a coach, but I can't get a coach right now. Maybe someday because they look so fun and badazz.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Vailara, the whole reason I switched from Starting Strength to SL is that I couldn't hack power cleans. I'm sure I could if I had a coach, but I can't get a coach right now. Maybe someday because they look so fun and badazz.

You didn't have to switch programs...BOR's were always the substitute for power cleans for those who don't have the proper equipment for doing safe power cleans. I've been watching the Starting Strength DVD after reading all three editions of the book and I'm kind of itching to try power cleans. He's got so many different age levels doing them on the DVD they seem somehow less intimidating now.
  • kensky
    Options
    Oh, I know but the snazzy app of SL got to me.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options

Power Cleans are part of the stronglifts 5x5 minimalist program. They're dreadful lol. I can't get them right!
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    Oh, I know but the snazzy app of SL got to me.

Ditto on the app...I'll always do this program because I just love logging it all on my phone, so easy to keep track!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Robin, I would deload. Are you able to get atg on your warm up? I know it's disappointing to have to deload but I've really learned to appreciate them.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Power cleans are my favourite movement!!