Crunches

Options
JaneFinnigan
JaneFinnigan Posts: 30 Member
Hey everyone - just finished Day 3. One of my weakest spots is my abs -- but I don't feel like I've gotten much out of the ab work in the 30DS so far, even though my arms and legs are definitely feeling it.

I'm afraid that my attempts at the different crunch styles are so weak that I'm not even working my muscles with them. I try to practice good form and not strain my neck, etc, but my abs just don't seem that capable. I'm not overweight - just out of shape, in the mid-section especially. Anyone have tips for making the most of the abs sections? I'm really flailing around with those last bicycle crunches -- not very effective.

Thanks!

Replies

• BetherFace
    BetherFace Posts: 48
    Options
    I cannot manage those bicycle ones, I just am not coordinated enough.
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Crunches and press ups are my real weakness. I've managed to pull a muscle or something in my neck/collarbone when straining on the crunches, so I' not looking forward to todays workout!

Instead of hands behind ears, I'm gonna try arms up in the air and crunching up as if I'm trying to reach something from the ceiling.

I look like a cat in a paper bag when doing the bicycle crunches so since it's near the end I think I'm gonna take time to do them properly instead of trying to keep up with Jillians pace, or try to master them outside the 30DS.

I imagine Level 2 has more of these crunches so I know I need to get in practice cos it's only gonna get harder.

Boo you, Jillian!
  • JaneFinnigan
    JaneFinnigan Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Instead of hands behind ears, I'm gonna try arms up in the air and crunching up as if I'm trying to reach something from the ceiling.

I look like a cat in a paper bag when doing the bicycle crunches so since it's near the end I think I'm gonna take time to do them properly instead of trying to keep up with Jillians pace, or try to master them outside the 30DS.

I think I will try this too. I need to go a bit slower to make sure that I'm using only my abs to raise my body.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    I don't feel challenged by the crunches either... my abs haven't been the least bit sore!!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I need to go a bit slower to make sure that I'm using only my abs to raise my body.

Yes, slow down, that would be my advice. It's how I taught myself to do crunches when I was younger. Focus all your attention on really clenching your stomach muscles to pull your shoulders up off of the ground, even just a little bit at first. If you need to, but a hand on your abs so that you can isolate the muscles in your mind, and feel them clenching. . You may only be able to do a few at first, but a few good crunches are more effective than a bunch of rapid efforts that will only strain your neck. And, as you strengthen the muscle, you will be able to do more.