I'm having problems.

sweet110
sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
When I first started Cto5k, it was great. Some days were harder than others, but I always got positive feedback from the challenge (endorphins, sense of accomplishment, increased endurance). And I was committed to taking it slow...perfectly content to spend 2 weeks on "a week". However. I have now been doing week 2 for 2 weeks, and I feel *awful*. I don't feel like I'm increasing my endurance. For the past week, every time I go running I feel worse than the last. And I'm certainly not killing myself...I'm taking 1-2 days off in between. I feel worse today than I did 1.5 weeks ago...finishing each running interval feels like a battle of wills. Its like I ran out of steam.

I did go on vacation...but I took my running shoes with me. But my route was necessarily different...I was in San Francisco, and although I picked the flattest surfaces possible, there was probably a little more incline than I was use to. But now, my legs are aching. My knees are complaining...its as if my body is screaming at me to stop this madness. But again, I'm being very gentle....I am running as slow as christmas. I don't know why my body seems to be rebelling.

Any thoughts?

I am torn between "resting" or just continuing to take it slow. I'm already resting more now than I was before...its now been 3 days since I went running. But my legs are still telling me "don't even think about it." Should I ignore them? Ice them? Stick my tongue out at them?

Replies

• paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    I recently completed a 10k training run and to be honest i could hardly walk the following day, and someone at the local pub was talking about cryotherapy and the Welsh rugby teams training methods where they use cryogenic chamber therapy and ice pack therapy after training

the following week after my 10k i sat in an ice bath for 10 min, it was horrendous getting in :bigsmile: but i reaped the benefits the following day ...........i did ache but nothing like the previous week

Now at the gym if im using my leg muscles ie treadmill, spin bike i always use the cold shower facility they have outside the steam room to aid recovery
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    If I go more than a day between runs or not working out at all it is harder for me. I started doing strength training on my in between day and that has helped too. My muscle endurance is fantastic now that I added strength in. I still have issues with being out of breath but I am not sore anymore. Are you drinking enough water and eating protein before hand?

Do you know how to do any yoga stretches? This has been the biggest help for my legs.

When you say your legs are rebelling is it pain or soreness? If I am just sore I push through it. I have an old ankle injury so I have to be careful when my foot says stop. I had to wear my brace all day Saturday and that helped.
  • I find a bath after my run helps (I usually do it in the evenings) and it feels so much better.
    I also make sure to stretch afterwards as well. I had some aches and pains and spread out the runs by more than a day and on my days off I would walk or bike. I felt sore this morning but pushed myself and I feel better.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Do you have the right shoes? I have been told if you don't have good running shoes, that can cause lots of pain. I have been fitted and know what I am going to get, I just need to save up for them. Also, maybe try running on a treadmill or indoor track that is softer. The outside ground is harder to run on than the softer surfaces.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As to whether its pain or soreness...neither. Its more of an ache. Both soreness and acute pain are pretty distinctive feelings, and they tend to happen in pretty distinctive places. Its a consistent, chronic ache. I'm sitting at a desk right now, haven't not gone running for 4 days now, and everything from my knees down has a low level ache...that feeling where you can feel *something*, you know its not normal, but its not painful. If I hadn't just started running, I probably would just call it arthritis or middle age coming upon me.

Maybe I'll try more concentrated stretching. That's a good suggestion.

I've been thinking about getting new shoes, just in case that might help. Although, I have to say, the cumulative evidence regarding "proper shoes" and running doesn't look terribly convincing...(nope, don't want to have an argument about this...read up and decide for yourselves. The evidence isn't convincing either way, so an argument can be made, either way.). But, its worth a try. And I'd rather try a simple intervention rather than quitting running altogether. I really hate exercising, and the only reason I enjoy running is because its hard, keeps me mentally engaged, is free, and is efficient. Nothing else fits that bill. If I have to resort to walking or (god forbid) group exercise classes (snore, snore, snore)....I think I will just die from boredom.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I know this is anecdote shoe wise but I ran in my Nike cross trainers day one and the insides of my hip sockets hurt. I bought a pair of Asics after telling the shoe guy what I was looking for and it was a night and day difference.
  • MdawnK
    MdawnK Posts: 8 Member
    I'm new to the boards here, but not new to C25K. I've completed the program before and I'm on week 6 this go around. My advice, make sure you have shoes that fit properly and are supportive. Now, they don't have to be super expensive or anything, but the difference really is night and day between a pair that isn't suited to your foot and one that has been fitted properly.

Next, I'd say "slow down". I'm on another c25k board and the general rule of thumb is, "when you think you're going slow enough, slow down some more". It's not a race. Slow down and go ahead and move forward with the next week's intervals. If you can't make it through, then go ahead and go back to the previous week, but don't think that you aren't ready without giving it a try. Our bodies can surprise us sometimes. :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Lots of great advice on here, most of which I agree with.

Definitely worth making sure your shoes are right - doesn't matter how expensive they are, if they are not right for your gait and needs then they will be no good. Good cushioning could really help the aching, as could a trip to a podiatrist to get your gait checked properly (I've been seeing a podiatrist as my knees are shot following years of severe overpronation - the difference in my knee, hip and back pain is phenomenal).

Stretching afterwards is also vital and something I think is seriously lacking in the podcasts (I've downloaded two and neither mentions stretching). Even when I walk up a set of stairs throughout the day I hang my heels off the edge and give my calves a good stretch.

Are you also getting some protein after running? It's really important to help muscle repair and recovery. If you drink milk then a glass full when you get back from running is fantastic to help prevent muscle aching. (video clip about it here if anyone is interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00p293l)

Are you also getting your running technique right? I've tried to start running twice before and had to give up within a week due to shin splints. Then I read this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/611432-running-technique-is-making-it-so-much-easier

I had basically tried to run by stretching my leg far out in front and by going as fast as I could. In the last three weeks I've learned to slow down, basically do little more than a shuffle while keeping my head up high and my feet underneath me. By making sure I can't see my feet in front of me when running I seem to have knocked shin splints on the head.

Hope you get it sorted soon.