Waterproof iPhone covers?

Options
gentlygently
gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
hi

Does anyone (successfully!) use a waterproof cover for their iPhone when swimming.

I would be a bit scared to try one that is not recommended!

Thanks

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and did think about a waterproof cover but decided I just didn't want to take the risk. I bought a Speedo Aquabeat MP3 player instead and love it.
  • IsNull
    IsNull Posts: 8
    Options
    I wouldn't trust it for my phone. I would suggest a waterproof case for a shuffle:

http://www.h2oaudio.com/store/waterproof-cases/interval-waterproof-headphone-system-4g.html

I'm not suggesting buying it from that site, just an idea of what to look for. I have an Aquabeat too. The player itself is 'ok', but I never could get the headphones right, even after trying to modify them with wax. Now I just carry it around because my wife was nice enough to surprise me with it at Christmas and I can't bring myself to tell her it just doesn't work for me.

Bottom line is worst case scenario you lose a shuffle or Aquabeat which is a lot less expensive than your cell.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust it for my phone. I would suggest a waterproof case for a shuffle:

http://www.h2oaudio.com/store/waterproof-cases/interval-waterproof-headphone-system-4g.html

I'm not suggesting buying it from that site, just an idea of what to look for. I have an Aquabeat too. The player itself is 'ok', but I never could get the headphones right, even after trying to modify them with wax. Now I just carry it around because my wife was nice enough to surprise me with it at Christmas and I can't bring myself to tell her it just doesn't work for me.

Bottom line is worst case scenario you lose a shuffle or Aquabeat which is a lot less expensive than your cell.

I read a few reviews about the headphones not fitting but they were mostly from men.....maybe women's ears are smaller because mine fit just fine!
  • IsNull
    IsNull Posts: 8
    Options
    That may be, but I've always had problems getting those kinds of headphones to fit snugly in my ears. And honestly, that's what really makes or breaks the whole swimming with music experience IMO. A mp3 player is a mp3 player when you're just going to use a playlist or shuffle. If the headphones don't fit and seal... it just isn't going to work right. I even tried a swim cap on my bald head it just got to be to much.

Now, I've had some folks tell me about a headset that sits more on your cheeks and transfers sound through your cheek bone into your ear. Never tried it though.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I personally use a SwimP3 - it's one of those ones that sits on the bones in front of your ears and you *hear* the music through the vibrations. I absolutely love it! The only hassle is transferring my music from iTunes to mp3 files so it can be put onto the SwimP3.
  • KylieAlyssa26
    Options
    Never for my phone, or Ipod, at least not for swimming with. I would recommend the Speedo Aquabeat I had one that I loved, until someone stole it. sad day, but ceste la vie. It fits really well onto goggles, and has several sizes of earbuds to fit different size ears. it is designed for swimming and I never had trouble using mine, though don't try doing flipturns with it without a swim cap.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just bought a waterproof iPod shuffle and waterproof headphones from underwater audio. It's $175 on their website but I found mine on Amazon on a Father's Day sale for $140 and got an extra set of waterproof headphones for free. It just got delivered the other day and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it got the best reviews of all the ones I looked at so I'm hoping it lives up to the reviews. I do love the headphones though; I've used them out of water and they're the most comfortable, best fitting ones I've ever owned. They'll likely be used in and out of the water.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd have faith in a cover for mine. I did buy myself a cheap calorie counting watch though, it's ideal to time my swimming sessions and work out exactly what i have burnt off :) x
  • melindaberg
    Options
    If you're just using your iPhone to set at the side of the pool to see your workout use a ziplock bag. I tried this yesterday and te touch works through the bag. I always like to see my workout so I dont have to memorize it. As far as swimming with the iPhone I don't think I'd trust anything.
  • Lianggui95
    Lianggui95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any waterproof iphone covers but if you are willing to spend some extra money there are waterproof ipods online that need no case. I have one and it's great! Just look up waterproof ipod online and you can buy one on amazon. The company that sells them is waterfi.
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've never had the guts to take my phone in the water..no matter how good the reviews are! I forked over the cash and bought

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WN65VC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

They sell in multiple different colors..it's pricey but warrantied and iTunes compatible since it is an actual iPod. Just an idea! There are lots of other waterproof mp3s, but as a mac user it just worked better.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I looked into the speedo mp3...and then I realized that what I love about swimming is the calming swoosh swoosh no thoughts and music is exactly why I never liked running, aside from the fact that swimming cannot feel myself sweat .
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the H2O Audio cover for the shuffle. I love it for lane swims. I had to take the covers off the earphones for it to fit my ears, but the swim cap keeps them in place. This isn't an issue with the H2O audio headphones though, I need to do that with any earphones I get because I have little ears. Nothing fits them. (grrr)

I would recommend using music, I find that it's nice to have something to listen to if you're in for a long swim.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the peace in water and forget about music. It is a kind of therapy. like yoga
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the peace in water and forget about music. It is a kind of therapy. like yoga

Exactly!