Are there side effects of too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Biggest side effect of too much protein is continued weight loss.

Justin, please give us some documentation of Brock Lesnar's diverticulitis being caused by excessive protein intake. Diverticulitis is a degenerative disease of the colon. As a physician, I can't understand how that conclusion could be reached. I can understand somebody speculating about the two being linked. I can understand that being somebody's opinion. But I can't understand how there could be any meaningful proof of it. Please share your sources.

The only thing I could see this as an issue is that low carb can often times make the bowels slow digestion-wise because it's a low-fiber diet. Low fiber can mean things aren't moving in intestines and sit causing bacteria in the pockets of the intestines which can make diverticulitus. That's just my assumption though and could be solved by taking fiber every day. Or adding fiber to the diet.

Low-carb doesn't have to be low-fiber, and it doesn't necessarily cause problems with irregularity. I'm more regular now than when I ate more fiber with those nasty "whole grains". And I get just as much fiber as when I was eating SAD (standard American diet), but it's quality over quantity of the fiber.

And the intestines already contain bacteria. It (bacteria) turns the soluble fiber into short-chain fatty acids.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    You don't get ketoacidosis (ketone toxicity) from low carb dieting. You get it because your body starts producing ketones and there is nothing to get rid of them. This is usually the case in diabetics that do not produce enough insulin. The ketone bodies, combined with excess glucose, can raise the acidity of blood.

Under a normal low carb diet, excess ketones are used as fuel and are removed. Even a diabetic going on a low carb diet will not get ketoacidosis because they are using the ketones as fuel rather than just producing them and letting them build up in the blood stream.

ALSO:
    The only real provable side effect of excessive protein is your body's ability to convert it to glucose (gluconeogenisis) if you consume far more than your body needs. THAT glucose can then be converted and stored as fat. It is not a direct correlation of excess protein and stored fat, however, it is possible.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    "Low carb dieters tend to eat a lot of saturated fat. Many theorize this is bad for the heart and due to the increased cholesterol levels, the risk of heart attacks increases."

This is what wikipedia calls "weasel words". WHO theorizes that? No one who has medical or nutritional training since 1997, I'd wager. It's been clearly shown that saturated fats are not strongly linked to either of these things.
  • Justin031811
    Options

Justin, please give us some documentation of Brock Lesnar's diverticulitis being caused by excessive protein intake. Diverticulitis is a degenerative disease of the colon. As a physician, I can't understand how that conclusion could be reached. I can understand somebody speculating about the two being linked. I can understand that being somebody's opinion. But I can't understand how there could be any meaningful proof of it. Please share your sources.

Protein consumption replacing whole grains, fruits and vegetables in a low fiber diet may cause problems for the GI tract.. that is general knowledge I thought. Bodybuilders tend to do this exact type of diet.

I also must correct myself, Lesnar didn't have diverticulitis.. he had diverticulosis
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Protein consumption replacing whole grains, fruits and vegetables in a low fiber diet may cause problems for the GI tract.. that is general knowledge I thought. Bodybuilders tend to do this exact type of diet.

I also must correct myself, Lesnar didn't have diverticulitis.. he had diverticulosis

What evidence is there that replacing foods such as whole grains with a protein rich diet causes GI issues? I would argue the exact opposite that whole grains are the leading hidden cause of GI issues and GI distress in most people. Grains and especially gluten are not tolerated well by the human body, though people may experience varying degrees of symptoms.