How long do you go with no results? When to change?

Options
2»

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Graysmom,

For what it's worth.... I know EXACTLY how you are feeling in regards to your job. I was a professional dancer, I competed in ballroom and latin dancing.. having to wear those skimpy little costumes and was constantly starving myself to try to look "good" on the dance floor. I was constantly told by judges I needed to lose more and I was too fat. I danced anywhere from 6 - to 10 hours a day. I followed Weight Watchers recommended 1200 calories, and many times only ate once a day. I constantly battled weight gain. For the life of my I couldn't figure out why, with that much activity, the minute I ate more I gained weight.. Even at my lightest (116 lbs), I still had belly fat. I would immediately balloon if I had a competition break and slowed down to 3-5 hours of dancing a day or increased my meals.

I went through this battle from the time I was16 until 29. Gaining and losing over and over again. While my partner and I were successful and became US Champions, in my mind I was always the fat / flabby girl on the dance floor. I eventually stopped competing professionally because the weight battle got the best of me and I decided I just couldn't keep up my drive having to struggle so hard. I just decided i was meant to be fat, I was done, and just would teach. (weight gain!) A few years later I stopped teaching / dancing all together. (Bring on the major weight gain!)

When I found this group, it all finally made sense. As they say... hind sight is always 20/20 but.... a couple months of metabolism reset, then applying how eat, lose, and maintain my weight healthily and correctly, could have saved me YEARS (over a decade) of low self esteem, frustration, and misery.

To be honest, it makes me sad to think how different that era of my life could have been if I only I knew then, what I am learning now. :(
    Oh my gosh, I can relate so completely. It makes me sad hearing my own story in someone else's words. I would be teaching 10-11 classes a WEEK! Walking the dog an hour a day. And watching every calorie. And nothing would happen.

Are you doing the reset? How long have you been doing this and what have your results been?
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

When I found this group, it all finally made sense. As they say... hind sight is always 20/20 but.... a couple months of metabolism reset, then applying how eat, lose, and maintain my weight healthily and correctly, could have saved me YEARS (over a decade) of low self esteem, frustration, and misery.

To be honest, it makes me sad to think how different that era of my life could have been if I only I knew then, what I am learning now. :(

Wow~ a VERY powerful statement.....and so TRUE for a lot of us.

Hugs to you and Gray for not just enduring body issues but having to do it in public. xoxoxoxo
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow. I haven't put in as many workout hours as you two, but I have trained for several half marathons and a full marathon while eating probably 1000-1200 calories per day (with some bad binges of course) and staying the same weight. I might fluctuate 3-4 pounds, but that's it. I've worked hard at getting faster, but I noticed that the faster I get, the thinner the people are around me. I'm proud my chunky self can keep up with them, but I'd like to look the part too! (And it's not just in my head- I've seen the race pictures! LOL)

I'm just doing my cut right now because like you I convinced myself to do it before I understood the idea of the reset. I get the logic of the reset, but I can't do it yet. So far in 3+ weeks, I've gained 3-4 pounds and lost 1. I don't think my measurements have changed much.

This process is mentally hard. You've somehow conditioned your body to function well on too few calories- I did too. I don't know if you ever had a time when you were out of shape, but I can tell you that before I started running, I was around 185. I dropped to 160 by eating out less and running slowly. That was pretty easy (not at the time, but compared to the last few pounds!) As my miles increased and my eating got cleaner, I dropped to 153 or so (I also had a baby in the middle of all that). I've been in this 153-154 plateau for about 2 years...

OK, so I don't have any real advice... I guess this is just a sympathy post- hang in there and I'll do my best too. We may have to face the reset together soon!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Wow. I haven't put in as many workout hours as you two, but I have trained for several half marathons and a full marathon while eating probably 1000-1200 calories per day (with some bad binges of course) and staying the same weight. I might fluctuate 3-4 pounds, but that's it. I've worked hard at getting faster, but I noticed that the faster I get, the thinner the people are around me. I'm proud my chunky self can keep up with them, but I'd like to look the part too! (And it's not just in my head- I've seen the race pictures! LOL)

I'm just doing my cut right now because like you I convinced myself to do it before I understood the idea of the reset. I get the logic of the reset, but I can't do it yet. So far in 3+ weeks, I've gained 3-4 pounds and lost 1. I don't think my measurements have changed much.

This process is mentally hard. You've somehow conditioned your body to function well on too few calories- I did too. I don't know if you ever had a time when you were out of shape, but I can tell you that before I started running, I was around 185. I dropped to 160 by eating out less and running slowly. That was pretty easy (not at the time, but compared to the last few pounds!) As my miles increased and my eating got cleaner, I dropped to 153 or so (I also had a baby in the middle of all that). I've been in this 153-154 plateau for about 2 years...

OK, so I don't have any real advice... I guess this is just a sympathy post- hang in there and I'll do my best too. We may have to face the reset together soon!
    I was never in shape. It wasn't until 2009 that I joined a gym. I started at 186 and started watching what I ate and took group exercise classes...lots of spinning. I ate a very low amount of calories and hit the gym daily and lost 40 pounds. I was around 145 or so and was thrilled. I then became an instructor and started taking/teaching Bodypump. I then went up to 150 or so...same clothes...so probably muscle gain. I then started teaching more and more and couldn't get out of the 150's. This happened for over 2 years too. 153-154 for years. I gained 8 pounds over the holidays and per a nutritionist ate 1800-2200 a day and lost the 8...and got back to 153...but then got stuck AGAIN. So I thought maybe eating more would do the trick. But instead I've gained all that weight back plus some. I'm up over an inch in my waist and hips and I'm up 2% in my BF. I'm meeting with a trainer today so I'll let you know what he says!
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My only advice to you is that if your trainer says to cut calories again... run.

Your body has already spoken. It's rejected the lower calories and it will continue to fight you every step of the way if you go back. It's currently storing every extra calorie it can for the next "starvation" cycle. You have the math, science and technology supporting what your body is telling you instinctually. Listen to it.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you start tracking your sugar, see if that's something you might need to cut back on.