Myofascial Pain and Trigger Points

Options
Do any of you have knowledge or experience with the trigger points and Myofascial Pain. Knowing little, I have still been able to massage out lumps in muscles and relive some pain and stiffness. There are some good books about Myofascial Pain and the connection to Fibromyalgia.

If only there was a simple answer. It seems that one symptom gets a little better than something else starts up.

Replies

• gordonx4
    gordonx4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Fibro and a friend of mine gave me a book called "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome a survival Manual" by Devin Starlanyl (M.D.) and Mary Ellen Copeland, M.S., M.A.

This book helped me a lot to understand how Fibro has changed my life and what I need to do to live with it.
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your diagnosis. I hope you are managing it all well. I have that book also. It is very informative.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have found for this is acupuncture. Seriously. It has changed my life.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just started with a physiotherapist and had my first myofascial massage. I cried through the entire thing and after for a few days. I'm unsure if the therapy is worth the experience. I can only hope it gets better...but I'm running short on hope these days.
  • FibroTrackTerry
    Options
    Here are some links to good articles about Trigger points and Myofascial Pain Syndrome. The first article does a good job explaining the difference between a tender point and a trigger point - they are totally different things. Also this delves a bit into recent research that shows that myofascial trigger points may actually be a causal factor related to fibromyalgia!

http://www.fibromyalgia-treatment.com/fibromyalgia-trigger-points/

http://www.fibromyalgia-treatment.com/fibromyalgia-and-myofascial-pain/

I hope posting these links is not some heinous crime.... if so, please remove them or just tell me and I will not post links. Most sites these days would rather folks just suffer from a lack of knowledge than to have links to other sites posted on them, not sure about myfitnesspal, I did not see any such restriction noted in the terms of service.

Terry

Terry
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    Just started with a physiotherapist and had my first myofascial massage. I cried through the entire thing and after for a few days. I'm unsure if the therapy is worth the experience. I can only hope it gets better...but I'm running short on hope these days.

I have not had Myofascial massage. I am sorry to hear it was so painful. Have you continued with it and/ or did you feel like it benefited in the long run? Hang in there!
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    Here are some links to good articles about Trigger points and Myofascial Pain Syndrome. The first article does a good job explaining the difference between a tender point and a trigger point - they are totally different things. Also this delves a bit into recent research that shows that myofascial trigger points may actually be a causal factor related to fibromyalgia!

http://www.fibromyalgia-treatment.com/fibromyalgia-trigger-points/

http://www.fibromyalgia-treatment.com/fibromyalgia-and-myofascial-pain/

I hope posting these links is not some heinous crime.... if so, please remove them or just tell me and I will not post links. Most sites these days would rather folks just suffer from a lack of knowledge than to have links to other sites posted on them, not sure about myfitnesspal, I did not see any such restriction noted in the terms of service.

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Terry
  • CharisSunny
    Options

I have not had Myofascial massage. I am sorry to hear it was so painful. Have you continued with it and/ or did you feel like it benefited in the long run? Hang in there!

I've continued and I continue to cry. I have a high threshold for pain, truly I do but 10-15 seconds of intense pressure on one of the most painful spots of your body will bring most to place where tears are innevitable. I've been told that I have more trigger points than anyone she's handled. That plus the fact that my fibro was early onset just makes me feel like a barrel of oddities.

Either way some of the points in my arms have loosened. My neck and back are still terribly knotted but for as long as money allows I will go back. Its hard to say if the massage is the only reason as I do aquatherapy, TENS, and ultrasound therapy. I grabbing at every straw I see floating by...
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options

So sorry to hear you have such a trying case but glad you are finding some relief. It is frustrating how expensive these treatments are. I have had two sessions of Endomology. It is supposed to help fibro and our lymph system, toxin removal,etc.. Some people get it for cellulite improvement. I am not sure yet if it is helping my fibro. Like you I am grasping at everything. When I feel better or worse, I am not always sure exactly why. I had a groupon deal and purchased 6 treatments. After these, I think I will go to massage also. But I have to say, my cellulite really is better. LOL That is just icing. I really didn't expect that, I am hoping for pain relief.

Please share if you find something that helps. I will do the same.
    Hope you have a good day!

I've continued and I continue to cry. I have a high threshold for pain, truly I do but 10-15 seconds of intense pressure on one of the most painful spots of your body will bring most to place where tears are innevitable. I've been told that I have more trigger points than anyone she's handled. That plus the fact that my fibro was early onset just makes me feel like a barrel of oddities.

Either way some of the points in my arms have loosened. My neck and back are still terribly knotted but for as long as money allows I will go back. Its hard to say if the massage is the only reason as I do aquatherapy, TENS, and ultrasound therapy. I grabbing at every straw I see floating by...
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    Well that last post was confusing. Obviously I have a user issue.

Here is the new comment again:

So sorry to hear you have such a trying case but glad you are finding some relief. It is frustrating how expensive these treatments are. I have had two sessions of Endomology. It is supposed to help fibro and our lymph system, toxin removal,etc.. Some people get it for cellulite improvement. I am not sure yet if it is helping my fibro. Like you I am grasping at everything. When I feel better or worse, I am not always sure exactly why. I had a groupon deal and purchased 6 treatments. After these, I think I will go to massage also. But I have to say, my cellulite really is better. LOL That is just icing. I really didn't expect that, I am hoping for pain relief.

Please share if you find something that helps. I will do the same.

Hope you have a good day. :)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Wondering if anyone has any working remedies for hip pain specifically. Really hurting this week, trying to keep it together.