Exercise....What is everyone doing?

Options
win4ecu
win4ecu Posts: 34 Member
Exercise....we hate the word and some of us may dread having to do it everyday, but let's be honest. We HAVE to do it! I'm just curious what everyone did after their surgery to keep fit and what they are still doing today.

~Windy

Replies

• puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am walking about a half hour a day .. about a mile or two depending on how fast I go. I am 5 weeks out so can't workout like I want to yet.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Zumba Fitness class (I try to make it a couple times a week) plus walking most days
  • ldturner
    ldturner Posts: 5
    Options
    I bought a really inexpensive recumbent exercise bike and have it in the living room so I will sit and pedal while I watch TV. I can easily burn a couple hundred calories just moderately moving during my favorite shows. I have found that I am exercising much more this way.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY in 2008. Honestly I did absolutely no exercise the first 7 months. The surgery did it's job, but I knew to get to goal and more importantly stay here, I had to exercise. Now I do a fitness bootcamp 4 mornings a week and go to the gym around 2-3 times a week for an hour on the elliptical and an hour on weights. I'm determined now to get buff!! : )
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    got cleared to exercise at my two week follow up. I'm currently at 4 weeks out and am doing a combination of swimming and water aerobics with and without weights; on average I'm in the pool 5 times a week for no less than 45 minutes often as much as an hour.
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months out from surgery. I started out at about 240lbs and am now at 175lbs, I'm only 5'3". With that said I have exercised since I began my pre-op diet. I began by walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes, 3 days per week. I now walk at a much faster pace, for 40 minutes, at an incline, 4 days a week. I also alternated upper and lower body workouts with weights to help with the baggy skin!!!!

On my 'off' days, I usually do a pilates, ball, or kettle video work out at home. I stive to 'move' every day for an hour more than I would have before surgery! I've been very happy with the results!

Hope this helps!
    Lisa
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    The past month I have really been slacking on the exercise! :-( I need to get my butt back in my routine! Usually, I do some classes at the gym spinning, body pump, and yoga are my favorites. Sometimes I'll just do running/walking intervals. Other times I will just go to the gym and to a mixture of different weights and the elliptical and stair master. Oh, and I like doing zumba on my xbox 360. I bought a heart rate monitor and love it so it helps me track my calories burned. I like watching the number on the watch go up! lol
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve gastrectomy March of 2010 (2nd surgery--long story), but didn't do much exercising. I was stalled at just about the 50 # lost mark and was so discouraged. I was introduced to MFP in March of this year and it has been an amazing help and inspiration. I started exercising regularly and now feel guilty if I don't! That's a real switch! Anyway, what I've been doing is:
    recumbant bike, regular bike (mine only is a 7 speed), some walking on the treadmill (our treadmill is having issues lately though)some general walking, and have found a couple work out videos that I really like--one is a circuit training dvd that is with a trainer that understands the person who has a lot to lose and is just getting started in a regular exercise routine and the other a "walking" workout dvd.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been biking every other day... or at least that's the plan. The other day I did17 Km as i rode to the hospital for my bloodwork. I'm trying to avoid using the bus and biking instead to do my errands, which is great in the sunshine... rain forecasted for the next week. I alos hope to soon join a gym and I will bike there and back getting my aerobic exercise and do the weights for toning, etc.
  • giggler55
    giggler55 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm four months out and started really working out about a month after surgery. I've worked up to walking at least 30 minutes every day. On top of that I work with a trainer twice a week with a huge focus on strength and resistance training. I recently added a weekly tennis lesson to my workouts too.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've recently started working with a trainer two times a week for an hour each time. I also go to the gym 5-6 days a week. I do spin classes 2-3 times a week. The other days I either run on the treadmill or use the elliptical. I get weight training with my trainer.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I will be 3 months post op in the 30th. I go to the gym 6 days a week. I do strength training and cardio all 6 of those days I just adjust the area of my body I am doing strength training on from day to day. 3 days a week I do a 30 minute circut training workout. It is awesome. :)
  • McKinnon09
    McKinnon09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dancing! And working with my trainer on the core, which is a variety of things really. But my favorite is Dancing. I have Zumba at home and an elliptical. :smile:
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    I do 1-3 hours of exercise a day, usually at a class at the gym. I mix up several different cardio and weights classes so that I don't get bored or specialize my body too much.