Newbie with pull-up goal

Options
sktuggle
sktuggle Posts: 2 Member
I am just starting to do some weight training and have decided that before I turn the big 35 in October, I want to be able to do ONE pull-up unassisted. I am very weak in the shoulders and upper body, so this is going to be a hard challenge. I hope it's attainable! Anyone out there want to join me?

Replies

• PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I will!!!

I've never been able to do a pull up, so I'm hoping to do ONE!!! before the end of the year. =D
  • flyerjessi1
    Options
    I will!

I can only do assisted pull ups and want to be able to do at least one without!:happy:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will jump on this motivation band wagon. I suppose I will have to start trying unassisted more often.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'll join too! I'd love to be able to do one by the end of summer (mid-August). Hopefully that's not too lofty of a goal...
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can do it ladies!!!! And it is so worth the effort. I am a very narrow shouldered, petite, 40 year old and I just achieved my first un-assisted pull-up this week! I've been using the Lifeline revolution band during my P90x2 workouts. About a month ago I started doing "negatives" (going as slow as possible on the way down of the last 3 reps of each set) and really pushing myself every time i workout to use less support. I made marks on the band and numbered them so I could keep track for logging each exercise.

This is by far the most satisfying, empowering and exciting fitness achievement of my life.

NOW I'M WORKING ON DOING 2 IN A ROW!!!!!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    me tooo!!!

my goal is to be able to do an unassisted pull up by my first tough mudder on 10/21!
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oh, good luck.

It's my goal as well. I was using the gym assist machine at first, but it gives you equal assistance all the way to the top - and I haven't made much progress beyond the initial gains. I've just ordered a set of three pull up assist rubber bands & have starting doing negatives.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I found this video that shows some tips for training to be able to do a pull-up and thought I'd share :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblWkK88_Vw&feature=plcp

Hopefully this helps someone!
  • firefir1122
    Options
    i am so in!!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm working on increasing from 4 to 5 and eventually to 10 chin ups. I'm still on just one pull up-hope to improve in this area as well.
    Here is a great article on how to go about getting to your first chin up/pull up.

http://www.myomytv.com/a-guide-to-pull-ups-learning-and-progressing/
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I can do one unassisted maybe two on a good day lol. I will get there one day I will be able to do 5 in a row maybe more, so anyway good luck to you! :drinker:
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I will! I have always wanted to do an un-assisted pull up!
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 2 sets of 5 chin ups right now. When I started out I couldn't even do 1! A really useful way to get started is to just do the lowering down part, so stand on a stool, grab the bar, release your feet and lower down super slowly. Also doing push ups with your feet raised (on a stool for example) is good practice. Push ups use some similar muscle groups but with less body weight, so raising your feet is a great transition move to chin ups because it increases the amount of resistance on those muscles.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here late, but please can I join in? I decided today that doing one pull up is my current life ambition. I'm doing negative chin ups with no serious difficulty, and assisted pull ups, but I'm a long way from doing them (or even one) unassisted.

Can anyone advise about which kind of bands (i.e. light, medium etc) to get? I'm about 119lbs, if that helps.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    MissMaggie, I never used the bands. I did negatives and inverted rows-on TRX and the Smith machine. Also lat pull downs-if you do them on your knees, you will get more of the back, butt involved and that helps a lot. You should try to do a chin up-if you can do negatives with not so much difficulty, than I bet you can do a chin up.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    MissMaggie, I never used the bands. I did negatives and inverted rows-on TRX and the Smith machine. Also lat pull downs-if you do them on your knees, you will get more of the back, butt involved and that helps a lot. You should try to do a chin up-if you can do negatives with not so much difficulty, than I bet you can do a chin up.

Thank you Deninevi. Trouble is, I'm working out at home and don't have access to machines; I put the bar across the top of my squat stands to do the negative chin ups, but can't do lat pull downs. I'm going to try solution 1 on this link, but was also thinking of the bands as in solution 2:

http://experiencelife.com/article/clear-the-bar/

But I will try a chin up next time - thanks for the encouragement!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i'll join! i turn 35 in october too! the 14th, when's your bday?
  • lmoreno3
    lmoreno3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in too! I just signed up for tough mudder in October!
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm in too - I'd love to be able to do any pull ups! I'm really lacking in upper body strength and don't really know where to start though lol.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Found a great page, just for us: http://experiencelife.com/article/clear-the-bar/