race eating

Options
Mbuhler
Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
So I have my first try a tri of the season coming up in two days. Normally I don't worry too much about nutrition specifically for racing other than trying to eat well since it is such a short race. So far this season, I have been eating much better than in the winter and last summer thanks to MFP.
I have my calories set to give me a deficit to lose 1/2 a pound per week and I have been able to maintain that really well until recently. I've upped my training a bit in preparation for my first sprint in 3 weeks and find I've been a little hungrier over the last week but nothing too extreme. I did notice though at soccer last night that my legs just don't seem completely recovered although I have tapered back this week in prep for Saturday (soccer is just a rec league, small field, 6 on 6 and I played mostly defense so didn't go out too hard last night either) but want to be fully prepped for my race. I have bumped up my calories back to "no loss" and will try to take in a few extra healthy carbs over the next two days. I know it's probably not a good goal to aim for losing weight over racing season but since I'm an age grouper trying to get in better shape while tackling triathlon, I need MFP to keep me on track as I way overeat when I listen to my own appetite.
Anyone's thoughts or advice on this??

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is fine in season. I just bump my cals, specifically my carbs, up starting the beginning of race week. Oh and if you actually taper you will feel lethargic. It's funny how your body becomes used to a certain level of activity and if you don't provide it you will become lethargic. Don't worry the juice will be there race day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I'm just throwing out some ideas, but...

Make sure you're getting enough sleep.
    Make sure you're drinking enough.
    Make sure you're getting enough protein.
    Make sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals.
    Listen to your body... if it needs more sleep or food, give it what it needs. I know you're trying to lose... it'll happen if you're patient.

With you're race being so close, I'd focus on race prep and put things like soccer on hold for the time being.

A small deficit is fine during race season, but changes to your diet or your workouts can take the body some time to adjust to, so make sure your changes happen gradually.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Typical day starts off with oatmeal which has some dried cranberries, flax seeds, brown sugar, milk with a 1/2c of juice. Snack around 10am is a Kashi bar of some sort. Lunch has been a whole wheat bun with oven roasted chicken breast, 1/2 slice of cheese, some veggies and a bit of dip, fresh fruit and yogurt. Dinner can vary as my husband I are often coming and going... if it is a training night, I can only tolerate some cereal/milk in my stomach and follow up my workout with a cup of chocolate milk - this happens about 2x/wk. Otherwise, I have some sort of protein and veg/salad on a good day, or something a little unhealthier (pizza, burger) but try to keep it as healthy as possible and stay within my cals. Looking back over my meals, my ratios have been fairly close with the suggested carb/fat/protein targets.
    I do admit that I am probably low on water intake. I try to drink more, carry a water bottle with me and have no problem with access to water, I just never take the time to drink more - also, it quickly makes me have to use the bathroom more and at my job, I don't often have time to use the bathroom all the time!!
    Sleep has been good - usually 8 hours each night and I'm usually a pretty good sleeper.

Also, I know soccer isn't the focus but it is the one thing my husband and I take time to do together since he works a lot of evening shifts and doesn't (yet) share my love of triathlon so at this point, I don't have the heart to give up our one active thing we do together :) I count it towards my run training since it is more short bursts of speed, it is helping with my overall run endurance and speed.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One other suggestion is that despite all the recommendations for staying hydrated for a race, be careful not to over hydrate. I did this for my first Olympic tri last summer and felt sloshy and bloated the whole race and it took nearly a week to feel normal again. Dehydration and overheating are dangerous, but if you've only lost a pound or two of water during the race, recovering by drinking a bunch of water and eating something salty afterwards makes for a quick recovery.

Playing soccer is also important. My husband's sport is mountaineering (tough to do in Georgia, but he's Swiss and it's in his blood.) Triathlon needs to fit into your life and your marriage. We have to be careful not to fall into the trap where we both go off training in our separate ways and become too busy to do things together. One compromise is that we go to Stone Mountain (a giant lump of rock east of Atlanta). I run 5 miles around the base while he schleps his heavy pack up and down once. I then join him for the second round trip to the top. Alternatively, we leave the house at the same time - me on the bike, he takes the car. The timing works out so that by the time I ride out and around the mountain once, he has had time to do his two round trips. We then share a snack and return home the same way we got there.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I see you're from Guelph. Are you doing the Guelph Lakes tri on Saturday? I'm doing the Sprint triathlon there.

I've tried a lot of different things. I have a hard time of drinking a lot of water days up to a race. For a Try-a-try I don't think they're as important as longer distances but energy build up is important. For this reason I'll try to have a good meal on Friday night with carbs. In the past I've done pasta and chicken, Saturday I wake up and have oatmeal, bagel with peanut butter and before the race I have a banana. Since my race isn't until 1pm on Saturday I have to rethink my eating strategy a little. Good Luck!
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm doing the Sprint at Guelph Lake tomorrow too :) Hope you guys have a great race tomorrow!