"Preachy Vegans"

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I just found an example of the judgmental preachy vegan that seems so elusive lol, Check out this thread and tell me if you can spot them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/602008-should-vegans-eat-honey

Make sure you read the whole thread, and if you think you've spotted them click on their profile and then you will know for sure.

Not saying I don't agree to a point but they come across way way to judgmental, the only thing accomplished with this attitude is causing a meat eater to go home and enjoy their thick juicy steak that much more out of spite.

You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar hahahahahaha I made a joke that has to do with the title of that thread.....................well I thought it was pretty clever

Is it really fair to call those expressing their opinions in a topical thread "preachy"? The original post actually asks "How do you vegans out there feel about eating honey?"

It would be one thing if the topic was unrelated, or just something about honey, but it was a thread asking a question regarding opinion.

I was giving an example and the way they worded it as well as their profile page tells you how they feel about people that consume animal products. What does this have to do with being fair? They said they never encountered a judgmental vegan so I gave an example of one, I didn't even give their information so they would have to figure out who it was on their own, but the poster made it quite obvious. Again they can have whatever opinion they want but how they put their opinion out there is how others will interpret what kind of person they are.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I was giving an example and the way they worded it as well as their profile page tells you how they feel about people that consume animal products. What does this have to do with being fair? They said they never encountered a judgmental vegan so I gave an example of one, I didn't even give their information so they would have to figure out who it was on their own, but the poster made it quite obvious. Again they can have whatever opinion they want but how they put their opinion out there is how others will interpret what kind of person they are.

Not even really calling you out or trying to start a fight - I love reading your posts on boards! - just wanted to point out that it was an opinion thread. I do agree with you that the way you present something is definitely a big factor in how people perceive you - in fact I probably get labeled a "preachy vegan" more often than I'd like, but I guess it's also a very emotionally-charged topic.

Presentation is definitely important, but I think a lot of people label vegans as "preachy" right off the bat. It always baffles me when people question me about why I request no eggs or dairy in my food, and when I answer truthfully, it's labeled as "preachy" or "pushing my beliefs". A lot of vegans definitely don't help themselves in that department, though.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Not even really calling you out or trying to start a fight - I love reading your posts on boards! - just wanted to point out that it was an opinion thread. I do agree with you that the way you present something is definitely a big factor in how people perceive you - in fact I probably get labeled a "preachy vegan" more often than I'd like, but I guess it's also a very emotionally-charged topic.

Presentation is definitely important, but I think a lot of people label vegans as "preachy" right off the bat. It always baffles me when people question me about why I request no eggs or dairy in my food, and when I answer truthfully, it's labeled as "preachy" or "pushing my beliefs". A lot of vegans definitely don't help themselves in that department, though.

:) I never took it that way, I enjoy your posts and great opinions as well and I love seeing your opinions in Debatable Debators. My fiance is one of those meat eaters that says stupid things sometimes that would provoke or put on the defense any ethical vegan saying things like I just don't understand why vegans are all so pale and why do they have to be so judging............really *sigh*. I believe most vegans, vegetarians, and pescetarians just want to be left alone about it. But are provoked into responses(because it's an emotional topic) by someone with an "I'm just curious attitude, that turns into "why are you being preachy to me". Both sides really are guilty of it and I think a lot of it is antagonizing , but we are probably talking only 4%(totally made up that number haha) of vegans and meat eaters that actually act this way, and make a bad name for everyone else. I do have a lot of respect for strict vegans though, it's a huge commitment.
  • Elliemage
    Elliemage Posts: 25
    Options
    Ellie, I realize that my little manifesto probably didn't really give you much encouragment beyond "be bold girl!" So I wanted to pop on again and say, I have found that with those I care about if they give me crap for it I say "I'm not asking you to change your diet, and I'm not asking you to like mine, but I do ask that you please respect it because this is important to me." For the most part that shuts them up. Good luck!

Lol, actually that did help :) I have a tendency to not be very bold at all, so even just having people say it's ok can help! That last little bit you said hit home though- I'm going to have to use it!
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 30 years and a vegan off and on. I've *never* met one of these preachy vegans that supposedly lurks behind every stalk of broccoli. I have, however, met plenty of preachy omnivores who seem to think they have a right to tell me what to eat.

agreed.

But that would be preaching to the choir. Vegans and vegetarians wouldn't preach to each other, or if they did it wouldn't be preaching it would be agreeing lol

I've met more preachy vegans than non-preachy ones. And many of the preachy vegans I've met attack vegetarians MORE than meat-eaters. They label vegetarians as "hypocrites" and make comments that "you should know better".

These vegans kept me as a vegetarian for 8 years. It was only when I met some nice ones online that I learnt that becoming vegan doesn't guarantee becoming obnoxious and self-righteous.

I've been happily vegan now for five years. Of the obnoxious vegans I went to school with, I don't think a single one is still a vegan. Furthermore, the obnoxious one I know as an adult lapses regularly. I think those things say more about the people than veganism: if someone's obnoxious about it, they're probably trying to stand out or cover their own insecurities.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    allergies work wonders too ;) lots of people find out they are allergic to lots of stuff all the time. You just happen to be allergic to dairy, and you were already a veggie so they should be used to that by now.

Okay, I have a big problem with this^. Ethical vegans aren't actually *allergic* to animal products, they are choosing not to eat them for ethical reasons. That's a powerful choice and the power of that choice should be recognized (in a non-pushy, non-obnoxious way). And it's a great catalyst for change. And when you say you're *allergic* and you're not, you are misrepresenting the degree to which allergic people need to avoid their trigger foods in order to not go into anaphylactic shock. It's one thing to say "I'm lactose intolerant" (75% of people are, to some degree or another, and when you go off milk you pretty much become lactose intolerant anyway) but to lie about a food *allergy* so that you don't have to stand up for what you obviously believe in, stinks. People who are allergic to milk or eggs have a serious health condition. My husband can't even be in the same room as cooking eggs, and his allergy is not considered severe. But we meet a lot of pretty intense misapprehensions about his egg allergy and my Celiac that obviously come from pretend allergy people who are really either ethical dieters or picky eaters or people who (I've really met this, and it drives me crazy) are lying about having a food allergy to get attention or something. I don't understand why people don't see this the way they see lying about -- and incidentally spreading misinformation about safety measures for -- other potentially fatal illnesses.

I've been vegetarian most of my life (since 1988 or so) and vegan for a lot of it (5-6 years all told?) and I love it. And I am not into the pushy game (although I have to play it a lot for my Celiac disease). I have met pushy vegans, and vegans who wanted to make a big show of leading by example and it obviously puts people off, I think these pushy vegans have done the most harm to the "cause" of veganism that anyone could do. I also think people who do that fall into the category of "just trying to get girls/guys" or whatever, but maybe they were sent by the beef cattle ranchers association or whatever it's called.

I've also had the experience you're talking about, OP, and it's super annoying. ("Oooooh, you're vegan? What are you going to do if I order a nice big bloody raw bloody raw baby cow-crying-mama steak with a huge pile of bacon on top? Huuuuuuh?" Um, I'm going to eat my meal and not be remotely jealous of yours, that's what...) I usually just dealt with it by saying, "yeah, I mean, I just like vegan food better, I don't care what you eat, can we talk about something else?" People who are open to hearing about how they can follow in your footsteps will let you know. And you can always surprise them by concocting delicious vegetable based food that is filling and feast-y sometime when they visit you, unless they are truly hopeless carnivores. ;) I think maybe it is easy for me because I grew up with a vegetarian mom who did all the cooking, so it was not a big tense lifestyle shift for me that I got really worked up about. And I've been doing it for a very long time so I'm used to rolling my eyes at and saying whatever to both sides of the obnoxiousness. You'll find your good standing ground, OP, give it a little time. People are just ridiculous. :)
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've never actually met a preachy vegan, and most people who complain about them probably haven't either.
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just found an example of the judgmental preachy vegan that seems so elusive lol, Check out this thread and tell me if you can spot them.

Make sure you read the whole thread, and if you think you've spotted them click on their profile and then you will know for sure.

Not saying I don't agree to a point but they come across way way to judgmental, the only thing accomplished with this attitude is causing a meat eater to go home and enjoy their thick juicy steak that much more out of spite.

You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar hahahahahaha I made a joke that has to do with the title of that thread.....................well I thought it was pretty clever

I assume you're referring to me. If you think I'm "preachy" well then I am proud of that. I consider the consumption of animal products abhorrent because it is murder and torture, so I don't have much respect for excuses or omnivore crap when it comes to talking about dietary ethics.
  • DonnaSoszyn
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years...it doesn't stop. I, however, go from being passive and quiet to being straight and direct.
    I like to turn the table on the animal eaters. I speak up more now...I don't say I am a vegetarian...I just say I don't eat meat or cheese or anything with eyes. If that makes me preachy...then "Amen".
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There's a thread in the main food forum right now titled, "Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)," and this isn't the first time that sort of topic has popped up. The truth is meat eaters are the preachy ones. For some reason they just aren't content do their own thing and leave vegans and vegetarians alone to do theirs.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

I assume you're referring to me. If you think I'm "preachy" well then I am proud of that. I consider the consumption of animal products abhorrent because it is murder and torture, so I don't have much respect for excuses or omnivore crap when it comes to talking about dietary ethics.

I don't know what on earth gave you that idea ;) I am glad you are so proud but I do want you to consider something, when did being preachy and judgemental ever turn someone in your favor, any possible people that are open to the idea of becoming vegan would be put off by your attitude about them. Also thinking that they don't want to become a preachy vegan themselves and when you show them that's what you are like then they are left to assume they might become that way as well or they are afraid people will assume they are that way because they are vegan because thats how they view you by your judgement of them, and in the end who does that hurt...................the animals that you have so much respect and love for. I know for a fact that I have spent years now convincing my fiance that most vegans are not preachy and pale because of only a few he has come across that were. It only takes one person to convince someone that they all are like that. Now I know where you are coming from when meat eaters get defensive and ask you a crap load of stupid questions just to get your riled up and by all means fire away, but I sincerely hope you don't act that way to meat eaters looking to change their diet.......remember who you are doing it for. You might say you don't care what meat eaters think and have no respect for them but you take the chance of putting off someone you could have influenced in a positive way and cost the lives of so many animals they would have eaten and I don't know how you could not care about that.
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    I've not run into anyone preachy. However, I've noticed that certain people in my life have witnessed my positive results eating vegan and would like the same results, but just don't believe they have the self-control. They have witnessed specific improvements first hand; better health, reduced frequency of migraines, no more acne, sharpness of mind and a good, steady energy level.

It seems to me, at least in some cases, people realize that eating vegan yields amazing results, but they believe they just can't do it, so they slam all vegans to justify their way of eating, which, in turn, puts vegans on the defensive and I can definitely see how that might make someone "preachy" if they feel like they have to defend their position.
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I don't know what on earth gave you that idea ;) I am glad you are so proud but I do want you to consider something, when did being preachy and judgemental ever turn someone in your favor, any possible people that are open to the idea of becoming vegan would be put off by your attitude about them. Also thinking that they don't want to become a preachy vegan themselves and when you show them that's what you are like then they are left to assume they might become that way as well or they are afraid people will assume they are that way because they are vegan because thats how they view you by your judgement of them, and in the end who does that hurt...................the animals that you have so much respect and love for. I know for a fact that I have spent years now convincing my fiance that most vegans are not preachy and pale because of only a few he has come across that were. It only takes one person to convince someone that they all are like that. Now I know where you are coming from when meat eaters get defensive and ask you a crap load of stupid questions just to get your riled up and by all means fire away, but I sincerely hope you don't act that way to meat eaters looking to change their diet.......remember who you are doing it for. You might say you don't care what meat eaters think and have no respect for them but you take the chance of putting off someone you could have influenced in a positive way and cost the lives of so many animals they would have eaten and I don't know how you could not care about that.

I am not in any way responsible for the poor choices people choose to make after information is provided. This only further proves they are terrible human beings if a "negative" attitude can dissuade them from a clearly ethical choice. In my experience being up-front, honest and blunt is incredibly effective and HAS helped people see that they are doing horrible things, which merits change, even if it initially offends them. I am only outright disrespectful to people who disrespect veganism, animal rights and welfare, and idiots who bombard me with ridiculous questions and untrue assertions. If someone asks my opinion I provide it without the sugar-coating, because you can't and shouldn't make something as horrific as the meat/dairy/egg industries an easy pill to swallow. Catering to people's sensitive little feelings and saying "I respect your choice to eat meat" does not help the cause in any way because it normalizes the experience and reinforces the idea that it's okay, it's just a personal choice, like what outfit to wear, when it's nothing like that. Murder is not a lifestyle choice, even though it has been marketed in that way.

You do veganism your way, and I'll do it mine.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

I am not in any way responsible for the poor choices people choose to make after information is provided. This only further proves they are terrible human beings if a "negative" attitude can dissuade them from a clearly ethical choice. In my experience being up-front, honest and blunt is incredibly effective and HAS helped people see that they are doing horrible things, which merits change, even if it initially offends them. I am only outright disrespectful to people who disrespect veganism, animal rights and welfare, and idiots who bombard me with ridiculous questions and untrue assertions. If someone asks my opinion I provide it without the sugar-coating, because you can't and shouldn't make something as horrific as the meat/dairy/egg industries an easy pill to swallow. Catering to people's sensitive little feelings and saying "I respect your choice to eat meat" does not help the cause in any way because it normalizes the experience and reinforces the idea that it's okay, it's just a personal choice, like what outfit to wear, when it's nothing like that. Murder is not a lifestyle choice, even though it has been marketed in that way.

You do veganism your way, and I'll do it mine.

Taking or not taking responsibility doesn't mean ****, throwing a pebble in a pond is still going to cause ripples whether you admit to throwing the pebble or not. So does your attitude as others have said to you on previous posts, and one vegan in here even states that in her opinion vegans like you do more damage than good by putting off people that would consider being vegan. But hey do veganism your own way, humans aren't the ones that suffer from your ripples. Oh and nobody said you needed to tell someone you respect their choice to eat meat, but calling them rapists and murderers not only makes you sound ridiculous but is quite offensive and off putting to someone who was RAISED in that lifestyle, Why would they even consider your opinion when they think you are a judgemental vegan lunatic. Do you really expect them to go oh gosh you are right I am a rapist and murderer thank you so much for letting me know I will change that right away. You maximize your chances for positive results by not offending the people you are trying to persuade. That's just common sense. But hey like you said you do veganism your way, doesn't hurt anyone but the animals you are trying to save.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    you also can't normalize something that is already considered normal
  • JennyDawn1982
    Options
    I have explained to a few people they *really* didn't want to have a discussion on veganism. Honestly, they don't. A sincere, in-depth discussion would involve sadness beyond measure which they clearly don't want to face. They drop it. This has ony happened a few times...most people say the standard few annoying lines and we all move on with life. Of course, some people are just...cool with it. :)
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of the aisle. I was vegetarian for 7-ish years before I went vegan, and during that time, I knew some preachy vegans who really turned me off -- people who had initially criticized me for going vegetarian, but then went vegan themselves and then were like "Why aren't you vegan too?!" (Uh, you ate meat while I didn't and I didn't criticize you, so how about you let me make my own decisions?) I found myself saying frequently that I'd never go vegan because vegans are crazy.

Now that I'm vegan myself, I can definitely understand that I judged the whole by the actions of a few, and that I probably misjudged even the few. It makes me try extra-hard to keep my veganism personal, and not try to inflict it on others. Almost all my friends are omnivores, with the exception of one vegan friend (no vegetarians, oddly) who actually went vegan about a year after I did, and said that she did it partially because I'd showed her it wasn't so bad. :)

When I'm out with omnivores, I never comment on their meals, and my friends respect me enough not to comment on mine. I can see how not getting that mutual respect would make someone really frustrated and angry. There are lots of great ideas in this thread for dealing with it -- my favorite is the "I'm not criticizing your meal, please don't criticize mine" approach. But if someone asks me why I'm vegan in a serious way, I'm honest: cruelty is wrong, I don't want to support it financially or in any other way, and hey, I actually like this tofu.
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I figure that living well/long life is our best revenge!

I have had carnivores tell me that all my health problems (chronic illness) are due to my vegan diet. However, the illness started before I went vegan. So there!

OK I don't know why someone flagged this quote for moderation but there is NOTHING wrong with what this poster is saying. Please don't flag posts unless there is a legitimate reason too flag it. Thanks.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I've had more issues with preachy meat eaters personally. But as a vegan, I've encountered tons of preachy vegans online that are straight up annoying and exactly why people have a negative view of vegans.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I'm certainly not going to start eating cheese again just so they'll shut up either. :P

Good for you! There are plenty of preachy people, be they vegan, christian, liberal, or fashionistas. You can't please everyone, so just do what you know is right and let the rest of them kiss your a**