Anyone here running on a paleo diet?

Options
librislady
librislady Posts: 46 Member
Hi all! I've been training on an "eat good things sensibly" philosophy so far, but I'm getting interested in incorporating more of a paleo menu into my diet. Does anyone here eat paleo? How does it affect your training and performance?

I've heard arguments for and against, just curious what the group has to say about it. :)

Replies

• _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I follow The Primal Blueprint, which is very similar to Paleo, with the main exception being that Primal allows for occasional dairy (preferably full-fat from raw milk sources). So it lets me have a daily whey protein powder shake, and I'll add an ounce of high quality raw milk cheese to certain recipes, and have some full fat cottage cheese every now and again (if I liked Greek yogurt, I could have that, but I just don't enjoy the taste). But besides that, it's the same as Paleo - high fat, relatively high protein, and carbs kept low and only from veggies and low-glycemic fruits like berries.

I've been living Primal for a year, and never looked or felt better. No problems with training, running long distances, or lifting heavy.

Feel free to send me any further questions that you may have.

:)
    Amy
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    May be hard to keep up with a paleo diet and running distances, but I'm not sure as I'm far from an expert on Paleo (or primal, or atkins, or any other diet).

The more you run, the more carbs you are going to need though....and the further you start running, you are eventually going to start eating energy jels, energy beans, or something similar. Your body will just need a 'jolt' of fuel (carbs to burn) every 40 mins or so over the course of your runs, or you are going to hit a wall. I'm just not sure how well those would fit into a Paleo diet, and I'm not sure how practical something that does fit would be (i.e. I'm not sure you could fit a 2 or 3 100 calorie 'paleo packs' in a runner belt/pocket).