Ladies: To Shrug or not to Shrug?

Options
isis2triple0
isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
I'm just curious to know what you ladies in iron out there think about women doing shoulder shrugs? Alot of my girlfriends don't do them they say they don't wanna get big traps however I always include at least one set in on shoulder or back day. I think training your traps as a women is beneficial. What do you think ladies?

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear as I hate the look of big traps on a woman but have been doing these anyway out of a sense of duty. :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think they are unnecessary for me and my goals.i train more for functional real world strength and the only time i'm doing that type of motion is when i'm giving a kanye shrug :laugh:

besides that considering i work primarily at a desk, sitting in front a of a computer, i need more trapezius relaxation than contraction
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I don't do shrugs. When I was learning how to do Power Cleans, a PT told me doing shrugs will help me with them. I'm working on the Power Cleans, but don't do shrugs.
  • tccramer
    tccramer Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't do shrugs either. Overhead presses and wide rows work quite well.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I shrug and can honestly say I dig the hell out of the results. My traps aren't crazy huge because well, that would take a whole lot of effort and some *ahem* assistance, but there is nothing like doing dips in a tank and seeing my traps flared up. HOT

Training your traps, regardless of gender, is beneficial. Traps are a stabalizer muscle to pretty much every upper body exercise you do, and deadlifts, so the benefits to working those, stressing PROPER FORM, will pay out in all your other chest, shoulder and back exercises. Shrug, don't roll
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I do shrugs as part of my olympic lifting training, but that is more about breaking down a clean or snatch into its parts to refine my technique. In terms of just working my traps, mine get enough out of the overhead work I do in CrossFit.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comment's keep lifting!! Strong is the new sexy!!
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    SHRUG!!!
    I've seen a difference in my shoulder definition after doing them for around a month now.
    FYI I was totally against doing them and thought what I waste of time, but they've definitely helped with my shape
  • traceyoaten
    Options
    no I don`t do shrugs lol
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've never done shrugs before because I'd only do a full-body workout but I recently switched to a split routine (upper/lower) and added them in. I'm desperate to develop some nicer shoulders and arms so...shrugs it is!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't do shrugs. I've just never done a routine that included them. My traps are looking pretty good without them.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't do shrugs.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't, not because I'm worried about bigger traps, but mainly because they don't interest me and I have no need for them anyway. (my traps look fine as they are)