My Bodymedia Fit - 1st days feedback...

Options

Replies

• KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This is interesting stuff, in particular about the higher than expected TDEE.

I have a Fitbit and it says I am burning about 2000-2200 each day (which is right in line with Scooby) and so I am eating @1,700 most days. I am always hungry though and wonder if perhaps my TDEE is higher? It is so hard to be sure, and I am losing weight at a good steady 3-4 lbs per month, so something is right.

Question for the BMF people; anyone see a TDEE less than expected? That is personally what I am most worried about (that I am overestimating it).'

Cheers all, Rachel

Hi Rachel!
    What kind of workouts do you do if I might ask? What does your week look like?

I know that lots of people label the Fitbit a "glorified pedometer".... so honestly, I have no idea how accurate it is...
    But you are losing, so that is great! Maybe you need to eat more calorie dense foods that fill you up for longer? Or you might not be eating enough as it is....so please share your workout schedule.
    Also are you eating at a 15% or 20% cut?
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    just went back and re-read the beginning of this thread and, YES, a lot of you had similar surprisingly high numbers. that makes me feel better. also makes me wonder why i saw such good results starting EMTWL and upping to just 1900. i guess the jump was what did it, and i just happened to stall around my goal weight. actually, i'm floating 3-4 pounds above my goal weight (6.5 this morning but i lifted yesterday), and i was starting to think that 2200 might be a little too much and that some weight was slowly creeping back on. hmmmm....might need to actually go up some more. ok, the previous jumps didn't scare me at all, but this one makes me nervous as hell!!! i'm gonna wait for a bit more info. i'm gonna wear my bmf through thursday. we leave for vacation at the beach on friday, and i'm just gonna leave it at home since it can't get wet anyway.

Hi Rebekah!
    I checked your Bmf numbers on your diary...wow you have some great burns even on non workout days!! Wish mine looked like that! I'm also 5'5 and on Moderate activity with NROLFW and C25K/treadmill cardio on days in between. My Bmf is at an average of 2350 over the last 12 days. Hight burn days goes to 2500 when I'm more active. I think I can blame it on my deskjob, sitting on my butt on front of the computer mostly...grrrrr.

I'm getting a little bit frustrated with my weigh loss trend... :( I too moved up to 1900 (from 1600, then 1800, then 1900) Some days like weekends I'm over up to 2100 or 2200. And the scale is standing still, dammit. I see a loss, then a gain back again, then a loss, then a gain back again... Almost 7 weeks into eating more... How long did it take you from upping to 1900 to see your regular losses occur?
    Would really appreciate your input. xx
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    just went back and re-read the beginning of this thread and, YES, a lot of you had similar surprisingly high numbers. that makes me feel better. also makes me wonder why i saw such good results starting EMTWL and upping to just 1900. i guess the jump was what did it, and i just happened to stall around my goal weight. actually, i'm floating 3-4 pounds above my goal weight (6.5 this morning but i lifted yesterday), and i was starting to think that 2200 might be a little too much and that some weight was slowly creeping back on. hmmmm....might need to actually go up some more. ok, the previous jumps didn't scare me at all, but this one makes me nervous as hell!!! i'm gonna wait for a bit more info. i'm gonna wear my bmf through thursday. we leave for vacation at the beach on friday, and i'm just gonna leave it at home since it can't get wet anyway.

Hi Rebekah!
    I checked your Bmf numbers on your diary...wow you have some great burns even on non workout days!! Wish mine looked like that! I'm also 5'5 and on Moderate activity with NROLFW and C25K/treadmill cardio on days in between. My Bmf is at an average of 2350 over the last 12 days. Hight burn days goes to 2500 when I'm more active. I think I can blame it on my deskjob, sitting on my butt on front of the computer mostly...grrrrr.

I'm getting a little bit frustrated with my weigh loss trend... :( I too moved up to 1900 (from 1600, then 1800, then 1900) Some days like weekends I'm over up to 2100 or 2200. And the scale is standing still, dammit. I see a loss, then a gain back again, then a loss, then a gain back again... Almost 7 weeks into eating more... How long did it take you from upping to 1900 to see your regular losses occur?
    Would really appreciate your input. xx

Karin,
    I saw results pretty quickly. I jumped from around 1300 cals straight to 1900. I started at 152ish and bloated up to 155.5, but 10 days into eating more that bloat was GONE. A couple days later I was breaking into the 140s. I made my goal of 145 after a month of eating more, and I've been hovering a bit above that number ever since. I've only actually seen 145 on the scale twice, but I'm not changing my ticker because I don't wanna, lol. Although I'm happy with my weight, I still have A LOT of work to do to get rid of jiggly parts. I can't say exactly why it worked so quickly for me. Just lucky, i guess? That's not helpful at all, I know, but I don't really have the answer. I'm just thankful.

I just figured my BMF average over the last 6 days to be 2553. Craziness!! Maybe I can attribute it to a couple of things....

1. I have a desk job too, but I am up and down a good bit and have a couple of decent hallways to walk to get where I'm going.
    2. In the same vein, I tend to never remember to get everything I need the first time, so that doubles up my hall walking, lol.
    3. I'm one of those annoying people that wiggles all the time. Thankfully, I don't share an office so my sometimes constant movement isn't annoying anyone.
    4. My kids never let me sit down in the evenings. Feels like it's pretty much go go go until bed time some nights.
    5. I have a habit of getting on the elliptical in our garage and goofing around on it while I'm chatting with my husband. The garage is his man cave. My minutes on that thing probably add up to a good bit some days, and my husband gets a good laugh out of my elliptical dancing/calisthetics.
    6. It does seem like the BMF gets a good read on the NROLFW sessions. From the beginning of my gym time yesterday to when I left showed a calorie difference of 234. That ain't bad for 45 minutes including only about 7 minutes of cardio.

Just an observation, I had an unexplained high reading one day, but I noticed that it happened after 2 consecutive nights of getting 9 hours of sleep on the weekend. I think sleep may really impact the body's burning efficiency. I'm trying to work on getting more sleep during the week, but I'm lucky to squeeze in 6 hours in a night.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to wear it on your left arm? Or is it the arm you don't use the most? Now I am confused. Also to answer the question about being lower TDEE. I am lower than most everyone else but right on the money with Scooby site using moderate activity level. So I think it comes down to how activity each of us are.
  • rebekahgo
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to wear it on your left arm? Or is it the arm you don't use the most? Now I am confused. Also to answer the question about being lower TDEE. I am lower than most everyone else but right on the money with Scooby site using moderate activity level. So I think it comes down to how activity each of us are.

you're right. i didn't notice that in the pics above.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Since the picture was taken in a mirror, I'm assuming that IS the left arm, it's just 'flipped' because it's a mirror image. :smile: however, the device should be turned a bit more toward the back of the arm on Jack3r.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

Since the picture was taken in a mirror, I'm assuming that IS the left arm, it's just 'flipped' because it's a mirror image. :smile: however, the device should be turned a bit more toward the back of the arm.

Thanks this is what I get for commenting before I have my morning coffee. Carry on people nothing to see here. :noway: :grumble:
  • rebekahgo
    Options
    yeah, think you're right, jyska.

had to imagine myself standing in front of the mirror and taking a pic to be sure though, lol. i'm a little slow this morning.

eta: and i've already had my coffee ;)
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok looking into either getting a fitbit or a BMF. Question is what does BMF do that Fitbit can't? Can you get BMF workouts to upload to MFP or do you just create your own workout and then manually put the numbers in. Just having a hard time deciding which one to get.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't actually "work-out" per se. I do have a treadmill desk and typically walk 3-5 hours a day at work and then do light weight lifting a couple of times a week. The reason I went to the FB (was vacilatting, still am) was that I wanted to get some gauge of what I am burning since my job isn't sedentary with the walking, but I don't actually work out right now. I think that the FB is reasonably close since if I just figure 80 calories a mile I should be hitting around 480 or so most days, which seems to be in line with what the FB notes.

FTR I am 5'2" and 162 LBS, aiming for 130. Started at 180 back in January so am losing it slowly, which I understand is the way to go. I went from eating mainly veggies to eating Greek yogurt, fitness bread, rice, more dense foods because of how hungry I am all the time. This is after I started MFP as before that I was likely eating around 2,500 each day.
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and compliments :P

And yes, it is on my left arm, just the mirror makes it looks reversed.
    Now I THINK I got it on my tricept, I'll take a pic later to show you all :D
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Rebekah, thanks for your reply! Lucky you yes! :laugh:
    Maybe Im not active enough...mmmm, so confusing some days.
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    I don't actually "work-out" per se. I do have a treadmill desk and typically walk 3-5 hours a day at work and then do light weight lifting a couple of times a week. The reason I went to the FB (was vacilatting, still am) was that I wanted to get some gauge of what I am burning since my job isn't sedentary with the walking, but I don't actually work out right now. I think that the FB is reasonably close since if I just figure 80 calories a mile I should be hitting around 480 or so most days, which seems to be in line with what the FB notes.

FTR I am 5'2" and 162 LBS, aiming for 130. Started at 180 back in January so am losing it slowly, which I understand is the way to go. I went from eating mainly veggies to eating Greek yogurt, fitness bread, rice, more dense foods because of how hungry I am all the time. This is after I started MFP as before that I was likely eating around 2,500 each day.

Well it sounds like u are doing everything right then...! The fitbit is good with exercises like walking yes, so your on the money I think.
    Id stick with the routine you have now as its working. Remember to recalc your scooby numbers after every 5 lbs loss.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks Karin, I am curious about the BMF. I really went back and forth and in the end decided to have the FB simply because I don't really like things tight on my body and the arm band was a turn off because of that. I do want most accurate as I don't want to overestimate what I am doing. It is hard finding a true good gauge of walking so slowly (1.3-1.5 MPH) as most calculators start at 2 MPH. I would have a hard time typing going much faster than I do already.

Thanks for the info and posting about the BMF. Wish there was a group dedicated to it so it would be easier to follow the pros and cons and what people are having trouble with.
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Options
    Ok hows this look? lol

IMG_20120619_100754.jpg
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Jip! Youve got it Jack! :bigsmile:
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Thanks Karin, I am curious about the BMF. I really went back and forth and in the end decided to have the FB simply because I don't really like things tight on my body and the arm band was a turn off because of that. I do want most accurate as I don't want to overestimate what I am doing. It is hard finding a true good gauge of walking so slowly (1.3-1.5 MPH) as most calculators start at 2 MPH. I would have a hard time typing going much faster than I do already.

Thanks for the info and posting about the BMF. Wish there was a group dedicated to it so it would be easier to follow the pros and cons and what people are having trouble with.

I know theres quite a few threads in the main group too...if you go type it in under search you will definitely find some info.
    Might help you with some answers!
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing this. I've given my husband some options for my birthday and am hoping for the BodyMedia Core. I've upped my calories from 1200 to 1734 and not much is going on (started early January at 178 and cw is 165-168). However, I am very likely not chosing the proper activity level and am probably still eating WAY under TDEE. I don't exercise regularly and have a desk job. I'm fairly busy in the evenings at home with two kids and weekends are full of errands and running around, so sedentary is probably not the best option. I'm thinking I should revisit the Scooby and choose the activity level one up from sedentary and eat at that TDEE (but net BMR if there are any high burn days). Does that make sense? I'm also trying to work in 30-45 minutes of walking/jogging each night.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Jip! Youve got it Jack! :bigsmile:

Yup, much better Jack! :happy:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Ok looking into either getting a fitbit or a BMF. Question is what does BMF do that Fitbit can't? Can you get BMF workouts to upload to MFP or do you just create your own workout and then manually put the numbers in. Just having a hard time deciding which one to get.
    I would like to know as well. I have a fitbit now.