Weight Loss Warriors, Challenge 06/18-24

Options
Going4Healthy
Going4Healthy Posts: 38 Member
Sorry for my absence in general last week. I was not in a good place and just put MFP on hold for the week. Missed you all!

This week's challenge is brought to you by Moxie42.....

Part 1- try making a satisfying meatless dinner at least once in the week
Part 2- post the recipe so we can all share ideas

(I :heart: all of the ideas that have been submitted so far. If you have any suggestions, just send me a message!)

I hope you all have a splendid week!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The meatless dinner may be hard seeing as I am married to a canivore, but I'll give it a whirl!!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Lesita- I live with a carnivore too! He was NOT happy the first time I ever made tofu- until he tried it...now he buys tofu himself and requests it! I'll try posting the full recipe tonight but for me the key is marinating it for at least a couple hours or overnight, cutting it into small cubes (maybe 1/2 inch), and pan-frying it with Pam spray or olive oil until the sides are slightly browned and crisp. I just make it into a stir-fry. I add whatever veggies I happen to have (usually zuchinni, yellow squash, bell peppers, mushrooms, onion), and for the marinade and sauce, I use some sort of Asian sauce (sometimes teriyaki, sometimes sweet & spicy, etc.)- I just try to find something not too high in cals and I marinate it by adding a few tbsp, maaaybe 1/4 cup of the sauce, mix it all up in a plastic bag, and refrigerate it- occasionally I'll turn the bag to keep everything somewhat evenly coated.

The marinade/ sauce makes it taste great, and slightly crisping it takes care of the texture that a lot of people find weird.

Oh, and definitely use extra firm tofu and use a paper towel to pat out as much excess moisture as possible before you cut it.

I like making this on days I want (or need) something light for dinner.
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am also married to a fellow carnivore..... BUT I may be able to hide some tofu into a stir fry. He does like portabella mushroom pizza.....If I put tofu peperoni on it, it might work. :devil:
  • rejie1
    rejie1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A friend did this to trick your kids into eating eggplant. She peeled the egg plant of the purple, browned it slightly on both sides. In one bowl she added together, minched garlic, chopped onions, black olives, when she layered she did eggplant, 1/3 of the mix, some mozzarella, parmesan and spaghettis sauce, she ended with eggplant and spaghetti sauce. The seasoning is what you prefer. To the kids it was lasagna but meatless.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    A friend did this to trick your kids into eating eggplant. She peeled the egg plant of the purple, browned it slightly on both sides. In one bowl she added together, minched garlic, chopped onions, black olives, when she layered she did eggplant, 1/3 of the mix, some mozzarella, parmesan and spaghettis sauce, she ended with eggplant and spaghetti sauce. The seasoning is what you prefer. To the kids it was lasagna but meatless.

That sounds so good! I'm going to try that :)
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Idea, Strive for Five... fruits and veggies every day for a week.

Vegetarian burritos, with homemade salsa. Everyone ate it up.
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonight was Sonoran Enchiladas. I grew up in a Mexican/Filipino/Scottish family (think of all the great food I learned to cook). This is one of the Mexican/Southwest Arizonian recipes. This recipe does require frying, but I bet you could bake or pan fry the tortillas and get a similar effect. I took this recipe from http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Sonoran-Enchiladas. I grew up cooking this so I wanted to make sure I got all the steps down. It does have a picture of the food too. if you wanted to check it out. My husband loves this meal, but he does suffer from some heart burn afterwards, poor guy.

Sonoran Echilidas
    1 cup basic red chile/enchilada sauce
    5 onions, trimmed and chopped
    1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
    2 cups masa harina (corn flour like)
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 lb. cheese, grated
    Flour
    Vegetable oil
    1/2 cup canned pitted black olives, drained and chopped
    1 tsp. dried oregano, preferably Mexican
    1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded

1. Heat chile sauce and 1/2 cup water in a small pot over medium-low heat until warm. Toss scallions with vinegar in a bowl and set aside.

2. Put masa harina, egg, salt, and half the cheese into a large bowl and stir well. Add 1 1/4 cups warm water and knead in bowl until dough is smooth. Pinch off a golf ball–size piece of dough, lightly dust with flour, then press between two pieces of waxed paper on a clean surface to form a 1/4"-thick tortilla. Peel off paper. Check edge of tortilla; if cracked, return it to dough in bowl, add 1–4 tbsp. more water, and knead until smooth. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, roll each into a ball, and cover with a clean damp dish towel.

3. Pour oil into a wide heavy medium pot to a depth of 2" and heat over medium-high heat until temperature reaches 375° on a candy thermometer. Lightly dust 4 of the dough balls with flour, then press each one between 2 pieces of waxed paper into 1/4"-thick tortillas. Peel off paper and deep-fry tortillas until golden brown, turning once, 4–6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat pressing and frying process 2 more times with remaining dough.

4. Pour two-thirds of the warm chile sauce into a shallow bowl. Dunk 1 tortilla at a time into sauce in bowl, then transfer to a platter. Sprinkle enchiladas with scallions, remaining cheese, olives, oregano, and lettuce. Serve immediately with remaining sauce on the side.