W2D1

Options
Hestion
Hestion Posts: 740 Member
Been at W1 for 2 weeks, as I wanted to get to grips with the hills in the park, probably repeat most weeks to be honest, no point moving up if struggling with anything.

Found today that I could do the 90 seconds running, but I lost time in the walking, so am now below average interval time for walking, and under in running, yet I'm honestly running super slow!

Replies

• Mykaylaliz
    Mykaylaliz Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm going to do W1D2 today. But I'm on the treadmill. D1 I did pretty ok.
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    I think I run really slow too. But have decided that speed is something I will improve when I'm able to run consistently for a decent amount of time. I run on the treadmill and jog at 4.5mph/walk 2mph. I think thats really slow! But at least I'm doing it I guess. I hope I can improve on speed as my fitness impoves.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My park has hills also (Unlike the track at the local HS or the treadmill at the gym). Before starting the c25k program, I tried running the up the hill segments several times. I noticed that once I was comforatble with the up hill segments, the down hill and levels almost
    came for free. Which is quite different than facing the uphills after you are comfortable with the downhills and levels.

I sometimes pick a hill close to the track and do several hill intervals after I complete my C25k run (Run the up hill, walk the downhill for recovery.) Not always pretty but it strengthens my legs and is noticable when I run the next time. It teaches your legs and breathing to recover faster than a level track.

Hope this make sense. My own DIY method of learning to run. :smile:
  • Hestion
    Options
    Thats a good idea, I might do that a couple of times a week, as I really do want to incorporate the hills and not just on the flat.

Is it just me, or is running on grass harder? I would have thought it would be easier than the concrete paths, but I find it more tiring? Even the tracks in the park are easier?
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My running has been mostly confined to asphalt, concrete, HS track rubber surface, and treadmill. Haven't been on grass that
    much. Grass is easier on the foot strike and therefore better if you get shin splints. It also tends to be uneven which needs to be accounted for in your running style.
  • Hestion
    Options
    Fingers crossed no shin splint problems, its weird as the paths in the park (in the woods and hills, not the concrete around the main parts) are uneven, but I still find the grass harder going, its cut short, so I could understand if it was long?