Gained 8 pounds

Options
I understand that some people will gain a pound or two. I have gained 8. That's right, 8. I am so discouraged and about to go back to my 1200 calories a day. I feel like a pig and clearly my body thinks I am a pig too because it's gained 8 pounds. I've been doing this for I think around 3 weeks now. I don't think an 8 pound gain could be normal. Now my last 10 pounds I needed to lose has turned into 18 pounds. I am in tears because I feel like no matter what I do, eat less or eat more, I am still gaining. And no, I have not lost inches.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Dont sweat it. This is perfectly normal. I would check out the stickies at the top of the forum. There will be initial weight gain, but its not fat. Its almost impossible to gain 8lbs of fat in 3 weeks.

Think about this...8lbs of fat would be 28,000 calories on TOP of what you would normally eat in a day.

Your gaining water weight (you body stores water in your muscles along with Glycogen to fuel workouts and what not).

Can you post up your calorie numbers and how much exercise you are doing?

Mike
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I understand that some people will gain a pound or two. I have gained 8. That's right, 8. I am so discouraged and about to go back to my 1200 calories a day. I feel like a pig and clearly my body thinks I am a pig too because it's gained 8 pounds. I've been doing this for I think around 3 weeks now. I don't think an 8 pound gain could be normal. Now my last 10 pounds I needed to lose has turned into 18 pounds. I am in tears because I feel like no matter what I do, eat less or eat more, I am still gaining. And no, I have not lost inches.

:flowerforyou: Take a deep breath. It's gonna be OK. :smile:

Now, for a true 8 pound gain you would have had to have eaten and EXTRA 28,000 calories. Which is not what you did, right?

It is likely water weight gain, which is totally normal and will go down. You may even experience a day where you are tinkling for what seems like most of the day and the scale would reflect it the next day.

I know is seems weird, but drink lots of water to get rid of water and bloat. It really helps. Also, watch the sodium as it will cause retention as well.

If you'd like to post your stats, we can take a look and make sure you are on track. Are you doing a reset or doing a cut? Did you do vlcd before and for how long, etc.

We're here for ya!
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Hello!

Dont sweat it. This is perfectly normal. I would check out the stickies at the top of the forum. There will be initial weight gain, but its not fat. Its almost impossible to gain 8lbs of fat in 3 weeks.

Think about this...8lbs of fat would be 28,000 calories on TOP of what you would normally eat in a day.

Your gaining water weight (you body stores water in your muscles along with Glycogen to fuel workouts and what not).

Can you post up your calorie numbers and how much exercise you are doing?

Mike

LOL! Mike, you hit "post" before I did.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ditto what they said! Also, have you been working out at the level that you calculated your numbers at originally?
  • stephbo4
    stephbo4 Posts: 26
    Options
    Well I have been aiming to stay between 1600 and 1800 NET calories per day. I was told zig-zagging would help as well, so I've been aiming for that 200 calorie fluctuation. I have been working out slightly less than normal, but have been counting my exercise accurately. I burn 300-450 calories per day with exercise, depending on the workout.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Try not to fret, Steph. I gained ten pounds in one week. :) Lost that plus another pound the next week. My point is not the time frame but that weight naturally fluctuates. Even when you are going to be 'done' and maintaining- your weight will never stay the same. It's perfectly natural to have a ten pound fluctuation.

Sodium levels, water retention in healing muscles, lack of proper sleep, stress, undigested food, un-pood poo- all of these have an effect on your weight. Sometimes- they all have an effect on your weight at the same time, thus bigger 'ghost gains' as I call them.

It's not real fat or weight gain. It's most likely just water as your body adjusts. Give it time and try to be gentle with yourself.
  • stephbo4
    Options
    Sorry, it might help to know that I am 29 years old, 5'8", and currently, if I use the scale reading from today, 163 pounds. I workout every day, but vary the intensity of the workouts. I do Jillian Michaels workouts. Doing a cut, not a reset, btw.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds in 1 week. It's not fat and it WILL go away.

Try to relax and remember that scale weight is a lie. It's not a measure of "fat" it's just what your weight is which is not relevant. Try to go based on mirrors and measuring tapes.

Bloat is normal we have all gone through it. We've pushed through and are now reaping the benefits of this program. I would do it 100 times over again.
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but are you netting less than 1300 calories once you have done you exercise?
  • stephbo4
    Options
    No, I am netting 1600-1800 at the end of the day, exercise included.
  • goldengirl28
    Options
    fab :)

when the experts come along they will probuably ask;
    1. where you doing a VCL before you started the EMTWL?
    2.Did you do a reset?
    3. Whats are your TDEE/BMR & Cut
    4. are you eating the right amount for your Cut (once you include in your exercise) (PS: i wasn't)
    5. have you changed you exercise recently?

but i also agree with Brad, not possible to gain that in such a short time frame and its probably water
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Quite honestly, I don't think you are eating enough. Your body seems to be holding onto everything that you are eating. Prior to doing this were you always on a low calorie diet or on a high calorie diet? You might need the reset. I had to do the reset because my body was so confused. I tried to just eat at the cut amount, gained the initiall few pounds, and then maintained and wouldn't lose. So, I did the reset, and now this week I started at the cut amount and hoping to start seeing the loss soon.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    everyone else pretty much said it..is 1600 your BMR?
    I know its hard not to look at the scale, but honestly, put it away for a few weeks and allow your mind to change before your body can. You cannot physically gain 8 pounds in three weeks eating what you are, so be assured, you did not gain them.

If you can calculate your tdee, your cut and your BMR, then you will have a better idea of where you should be. Depending on how long you were eating at 1200 calories, will determine how long it might take your body to adjust to the new food. If you were eating VLC for a long time, then it is highly recommended to do a reset at TDEE for a period of time, then cut down..

Remember, this way of losing weight is not a fast method. It is one that will assure you will never have to eat 1200 calories again. It is slower, longer but the rewards and benefits are so much greater.. Do it for your life... not for the last 10 pounds..
  • stephbo4
    Options
    I used fitness frog to come up with these numbers, let me know if there is a better site.

BMR - 1541
    TDEE - 2388
    BMI - 24.78

So, like I said earlier, I have been netting, (including exercise) 1600-1800 per day.
  • goldengirl28
    Options
    have you tried the scooby calculator?

My TDEE is 2305 and i net (1959 15%cut or 1843 20%cut) but i also eat it consistently every day.
    my activity is light

So your stats might be higher than mine (with your activity)
  • stephbo4
    Options
    I think I tried the scooby one too and it was similar. What is the site?
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    the first few weeks of my reset i was soooo discouraged also b/c i felt heavy, bloated and just crappy. i opened my diary up for people to see and i found that i wasn't the # of calories i was eating but WHAT i was eating that made me feel crappy.

the last week or so, i've been trying to stay as close to 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein) and i've been keeping my sodium level in check and i feel A MILLION times better. like this week, i feel AMAZING. the bloat is gone, i feel stronger at the gym and overall, my body just feels happy. oh plus, the digestion problems i've had for YEARS seems to have....regulated itself. (sorry if that's tmi).

i find that keeping close to 40/30/30 and the sodium down is the key.

oh....and i had my husband hide my scale while i was at work one day. its been 5 days, and i haven't missed it!!

i know this process is really hard, but your body will thank you for it in the long run.

good luck!!!! *friend req sent*
  • stephbo4
    Options
    According to scooby

BMR 1541
    TDEE 2388
    Daily calories for a 20% calorie reduction - 1910
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Quite honestly, I don't think you are eating enough. Your body seems to be holding onto everything that you are eating. Prior to doing this were you always on a low calorie diet or on a high calorie diet? You might need the reset. I had to do the reset because my body was so confused. I tried to just eat at the cut amount, gained the initiall few pounds, and then maintained and wouldn't lose. So, I did the reset, and now this week I started at the cut amount and hoping to start seeing the loss soon.
    I agree.
    I am right there with you btw. I gained about 6-8 lbs and I only had little to lose. But that's perfectly normal. I actually really don't care. I have sabotaged my body for over a decade. Your body needs fuel in order to work well. I am 5'7 and started out with 140 lbs and when I am eating at my cut I still am eating 2000 kcal. I am doing reset and eating 2400 at the moment.
    Hang in there-you will lose the weight. I am positive. But it needs consistancy and as pp said you need to eat more.

~Evelyn