Shampoo for Swimmers

Options
MrsWilsoncroft
MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
Hi All

I have just started going swimming again and really enjoyed it so far but I wanted to know if anyone can recommend any shampoo that us swimmer's should use to stop our hair drying out from all the chlorine.

I only managed to pick up one last night from my local supermarket which is a kid's swimming shampoo called Vosene for kids lol! :noway:

Thanks all.

Love Stacey x

Replies

• garnet56
    garnet56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Boots sell own brand Swim and Gym shampoo and also Conditioner. They are great and stopped my hair from getting damaged. I swim two to three times each week. They are good on holiday as well.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I always used ultraswim!
  • SnowAngel80
    Options
    I use ultraswim as well but it seems to take a lot to cover my head...where can I try that Boots brand?
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out Boots next time I am in town :) x
  • judiknyght
    judiknyght Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is Ultraswim or the Boots brand good for color treated hair? I am about to start swimming regularly but it's going to be in a gym pool that has tons of chlorine... Or is my better bet the dreaded swim cap?
  • SnowAngel80
    Options
    I color treat my hair and haven't had any problem as long as I wash it fairly quickly after swimming..I use the swim cap, though, to help decrease the drag and keep my hair out of my face.. :wink:
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    Is Ultraswim or the Boots brand good for color treated hair? I am about to start swimming regularly but it's going to be in a gym pool that has tons of chlorine... Or is my better bet the dreaded swim cap?

I would do both - swim cap and special shampoo. Your hair will still get a little wet in the cap, but nothing like dunking your hair in the pool to keep swimming. Also, after you remove your cap, don't go underwater :)
  • SnowAngel80
    Options
    I was on Amazon looking for the Boots brand and couldn't find it but did find one called TriSwim. The brand not only has shampoo, but also conditioner and body wash. Has anyone tried this, or even heard of it?
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    Options
    This is the one I have got, its got a lovely melon fragrance to it and its quite nice...

http://www.vosene.co.uk/vosene-kids/#afterswim-hair-body-wash-200ml
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have tried several brands and havn't one that works yet. I find essential to wear a cap if I want to be able to focus on swimming only (no hair in face or slowing down due to drag). Washing my hair every day is making my hair so dry. So am still looking for a shampoo that is less harsh on the hair. Am using sulfate free stuff but that s expensive. Also, my eyebrows turned blond (and I am a darker brunette) due to the chorine, very scary.

I have yet to find a body wash or soap that gets rid of chorine smell. Any tip appriated, thx!
  • gethotabs130
    Options
    I used ultraswim as a kid and occasionally now but have found that rinsing my hair pre-swim, wearing a swim cap, and rinsing my hair post-swim has kept my hair as healthy as it would be if I did not swim. I definitely think using a swim cap will help a lot.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    One tip I've gotten from the girl that used to cut my hair, (She noticed it was green one summer - I'm blonde) was to make a paste / thick liquid with baking soda and water and run that through your hair, rinse, then Shampoo and then condition. A gentle way to get out the chlorine.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I make sure my hair is wet before I get in so it soaks less up, and then use plain old Suave when I get out! They have a blue bottle called "clarifying" that does the same thing as Ultra Swim. It gets all the junk off and I never smell of chlorine any more- at least my hair doesn't. I haven't found a body wash that does the same trick yet!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What kind of swim cap are people wearing to protect their hair? Is it a stretchy lycra cap, or a rubber one?

I've been noticing that my hair has a sticky feel to it after I've been swimming, and after I've shampooed and put on conditioner. Does anybody know what causes that?

I haven't been wearing a cap at all in recent months, but it looks as if I need to invest in one again.
  • FitMama2013
    Options
    grassette - my preference is a silicone cap, as it doesn't pull out my hair like latex caps do. I don't personally think lycra caps do any good in the keep your hair protected from the chlorine department (although they do keep the hair out of your face and are MUCH more comfortable). since I've never swam without a cap, I'm not sure what my hair would feel like, so I can't answer the sticky question :) but my guess is that a good swim cap would help!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I started swimming I found that normal shampoo and conditioner just didn't really do the biz and even though I have short hair, I hate it when it feels dry and wiry.

I was recommended to try Boots Sun, Swim & Gym and I use both the shampoo and conditioner and it's really made a HUGE difference. I swim about 4-5 times a week, so I need something that's gentle yet effective.

Also, another tip is to wet the hair before you get in the pool. If you have long hair, I would also wear a swim cap, as it keeps your hair in place.