Chasing calories and fat intake

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
Tomorrow I will have completed 7 weeks using MFP and so far so good. In fact, I may be having it too good. I've been a DM2 pt for 7 years. My HbA1c has always been in the 5 range. My BS have been fantastic. I take Metformin and Actos.

I exercise strenuously 6 days a week. On Sundays I'll either rest from exercise or I'll take a nice slow walk to burn calories. Anyway, I burn anywhere from 600 to 800 calories per day. Thus, I have to eat around 2500 cal per day in order to LOSE a pound of fat per week.

My (too good to be true) problem is that I'm having to chase calories almost every day to keep up. This is the first time in my life that I eat ice cream and drink beer on a diet.

I'm a bit worried about my fat calories. When I used to guess my caloric intake, I would actively avoid foods with high fat content. Now, I seek them out and I'm pretty much in the high 30s and 40s for fat.

I also eat a heck of a lot more carbs than most of the people on here.

Should I not sweat the high fat content (percentage) of my diet or should I adjust it in some way. Just looking for a little feedback on this great site.

Also, I don't know what I'm going to do when I start having to eat those additional 500 cal per day when I want to stop losing weight. I'm thinking I'm going to be eating a lot of avocados and nuts?

Replies

• scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Im no doctor , but last month I had a ercp which is a procedure to unclog the bile duct to what once was my gallbladder. I was put on a low in fat diet no more than 15grams a meal. I have been very close to sticking to that amount a day , If I dont i will be in pain. Anyway I have lost about 12lbs since may 18. I think it helps. My sugars are very good , In fact I was told by my doctor yesterday , I have my diabetes under control. Give it a try see how you do if it works for you then great if not find what does.. good luck. p.s I found a great butter spray that has zero calories and no fat in it. I buy it at aldi, its thier brand. I use it where i usually put butter , which is a big fat.. anyway good luck.

mo
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to comment on what someone like you is trying to do. The only thing that strikes me is the need not to be fixated on the numbers. If your sugars are good and your A1c well under control I would accept any resulting benefit as a bonus rather than chase calories. You don't need someone like me telling you of the adverse effect of high fat levels irrespective of the calorie benefits.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have problems getting to my cals, especially when I was eating low carb. The new drugs don't let me do that anymore. I tend to eat nuts and avocados to get my cal count up. I also cook everything in olive oil and use that as my salad dressing too. Not saying I drink the stuff, just don't worry about using low fat dressing or sprays.My cholesterol has been fine.

My thought is that if you don't have a medical problem with something there is no reason not to eat it. For example, before I started on these new drugs, fruit was bad for me. If your cholesterol is good and you are losing weight then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sharon I wouldn't worry about it unless it's posing a problem. Keep an eye on your cholestrol when you get your usual blood work.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    That's because you aren't really dieting, you're changing your lifestyle. You have found a way of eating and exercising that is sustainable so it really isn't work or suffering. When you reach your goal weight you will probably not have any problems with maintenance.

I have had several doctors since I was diagnosed. I take a statin to prevent cholesterol problems. I take a baby aspirin to prevent blood clots. In the near future I'll be taking bp meds to prevent problems with bp. My cholestrol was once a little high. My BP has been fine. A lot of the stuff I take is to prevent problems.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Share own personal experience is all I can. Controlling blood sugars for 11 years without a medication has taught me few tricks of my own. Fat is a friend. Fat does not peak unlike carbs (2hr) and proteins (4to5hr). It slows down digestion of carbs, lets me indulge in personal favorites like cheese of all kinds, and avocado. I dunked before diabetes and continue to dunk my slice of toasted bread in jar of olive oil.. hmm taste of heaven. For whatever this information is worth. Good luck to you all.

Last HbA1c 4.6 (82)....
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I vote for avocado, nuts, olive oil. If you have the carbs for bread that would be heavenly.
  • anaussie
    Options
    I write strictly for myself.

I've respect for people in your profession. Unfortunately they were of no help to me in matter of diabetes. Doctors prescribed for me medications including statin drugs. I did not know a thing..I knew one thing.. medications prescribed to me cured nothing.. all they did was delay onslaught of complications. I was already having complications due to out of control blood sugars. For several days I was urinating dark coffee, I thought. It was blood. Medications and machines were not an option I was willing to live with for the rest of life. Therefore I did it my way.. and getting better at it for 11 years. You have access to my profile and food diary.. please notice column titled FBS Teasers. I reached a stage where I teased fasting blood sugar numbers just for fun, as long as I remained in control. All the foods I could not touch 11 years ago are back on regular menu with exception of few stubborn kind. I write strictly of personal experience, not giving sermons. My friend, each of us has to go through the process irrespective of our professions. I couldn’t find any short cuts.

I'm going to have to get it thru my thick skull that as a DM2 patient, "fat is my friend". My allopathic medical training has always been "fats are bad".

It's just strange for me being in a position to think, wow, I need an extra 200 or 300 calories. Should I eat ice cream? Drink beer? Or how about an avocado?
  • robert65ferguson
    Options
    Hi Tsazani, thanks for your input to this board and the valuable info you provide for the rest of us. Lipids I understand but can you explain HTN for the lay people amonst us.
  • anaussie
    Options
    Yes, I understand what you mean and agree. Depressing thought but each of us in our own way try to kick the can as far down the road as we can.. isn't it? Its a matter of time before I succumb to very medications I tried to avoid for years, I accept this fact.

This is your profession, how good are the chances of someone somewhere finding the cure? :happy:
  • robert65ferguson
    Options
    Hi Tsazani, thanks for that explanation. One further question. Can you tell me how to convert from mmol/l which we use in the UK to the mg/dl which you folk use Stateside. Thanks.
  • robert65ferguson
    Options
    Thanks again Tsazani for the info and for all your help in this group. I certainly appreciate your input.