Official EM2WL stance on clean eating

Options
gemiwing
gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
What's the official stance of EM2WL on clean eating?

Required?
Recommended?
Your own business and no one elses?
It's clean if you wash it?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I can't eat totally clean....nor do I want to!

I try to eat healthy, but if I want me some pizza, fries, ice cream...I am gonna have it!

I do think the more "clean" food you eat, the better....but I know if I could only eat "clean" to have results....than I wouldn't bother at all.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Stance?
    Try to do mostly home cooking so great control over ingredients most of the time. However I have a daily chocolate fix and that really helps me to stay on track. It's not the dark stuff either, at the moment I have a small tube of smarties after evening meal:)
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Sorry guys- I'm really looking to hear from mods, Kiki or Lucia.

I can't find this in the stickies at the top and don't remember who's on vacation or busy on this Saturday. I have the brain of a hamster sometimes lol

I'm all for talking about how we feel about clean eating- but maybe in another thread?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Well, Im not Kiki or Lucia...but I feel like yes, clean eating at least 80% of the time is important if not crucial. Sorry guys. I enjoy my treats too, but remake them so they fit into a clean eating lifestyle.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Well, Im not Kiki or Lucia...but I feel like yes, clean eating at least 80% of the time is important if not crucial. Sorry guys. I enjoy my treats too, but remake them so they fit into a clean eating lifestyle.

So is that the official EM2WL stance?
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I can't eat totally clean....nor do I want to!

I try to eat healthy, but if I want me some pizza, fries, ice cream...I am gonna have it!

I do think the more "clean" food you eat, the better....but I know if I could only eat "clean" to have results....than I wouldn't bother at all.

:heart: this!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I thought the official stance was that NO food was off limits. If that's the case eating clean isn't required. My guess is that choosing less processed food helps you meet your macros, so from that standpoint it's probably recommended.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I know what I think but I really wanted to hear what the official stance is- to lay this to rest in my head once and for all.

Ever have something go round and round in your head till you can't make heads or tails of it? This is it for me :D

So, I'm really looking for the official position of the group. Not trying to stir up a debate or cause a ruckus- this is something I need to clear out my own devils.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Great topic...I would love to hear Lucia and Kiki's point of view.
    Although Ive heard Lucia mention a few times that she incorporates daily treats in her day.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Lol...I just can't stay away.... I personally believe we must all live and enjoy our lives. All things in moderation and working to adhere somewhat closely to macronutrients goals allows room for enjoying life without getting out of control with too much junk. Now regarding my stance on foods it is a personal choice not to eat GMO's (as much as it can possibly be avoided), not eat those items with ingredients I need a pharmaceutical dictionary to decipher...lol... And to stick with organics....

But I eat the foods I love and snacks every single day. I find enjoyable healthy (meaning natural, few readable ingredients, etc) treats all the time. I tell anyone check my diary...it's all there...lol. Well not loggimg for a little due to vacay or maybe I will, who knows...lol.

I will say since eating more...I can take or leave the "office" treats instead of hoarding some to binge on all day...lol. What a life changer...:bigsmile:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    What's the official stance of EM2WL on clean eating?

Required?
    Recommended?
    Your own business and no one elses?
    It's clean if you wash it?

:flowerforyou:

Gemini, you crack me up!

Clean if you wash it...bwaahahaha!
  • gemiwing
    Options

Gemini, you crack me up!

:wink:

I aim to please lol

So, is it the Official stance of EM2WL that folks following the plan are to eat 'clean'? I'm still confused :blushing: lol Is it in the 'your food is your business' or the 'Clean eating is a requirement of EM2WL' ?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Lucia, I love your stance...very similar to my own. I dont eat alot of "processed organic food" mostly because alot of it triggers binges for me. But yes, everything in moderation, and you gotta find what works for you. However, I think certain things, GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, unpronounceable chemicals in our food...those things dont suit our bodies well at all and may work against our metabolisms. But thats just my two cents. Like I said, I believe in about 80% clean eating, and I guess everyones definition of what counts as clean eating varies quite a bit. Believe me, I have PLENTY of treats. :P
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I follow Lucia's guidelines, only I live in a small town and don't have access to much in the way of organics or farmers market produce. I make my own bread because I figure out why it should take 25 ingredients to make a loaf of bread when only 5 are required. I try to avoid frozen meals or prepackaged foods, but if I'm hungry and tired and they're available, well in the microwave one will go. My own personal goal at this point is to include fruit every day (bought a few gallons of blueberries for this purpose) and veggies. I'm a meat and potatoes girl at the expense of fruit and veggies so this is challenging for me but it's my own personal start. I just tell myself, baby steps.
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Ok, I'm obviously having a bad word day lol It comes with the brain damage so let me try again- I really hope this isn't going to come across jerky or mean because I dont feel that way at all. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not phrasing things correctly which would mean I need to call my doctor again. Le sigh. so- here is my question:

What is the official stance of the Eat More To Weigh Less group in regards to clean eating. Is clean eating a requirement of the Eat More To Weigh Less plan? When people ask me about Eat More To Weigh Less and ask 'do I have to eat clean'- what do I tell them the OFFICIAL stance is?

I know what I think, I know we can all have different opinions and plans- but what is the official 'ruling' on clean eating and the EM2WL plan/lifestyle/goodness?
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Gemini, you crack me up!

:wink:

I aim to please lol

So, is it the Official stance of EM2WL that folks following the plan are to eat 'clean'? I'm still confused :blushing: lol Is it in the 'your food is your business' or the 'Clean eating is a requirement of EM2WL' ?

Ok what is clean eating....a slice of cake is ok....ten slices...not so ok. Ice cream a cup is good...a gallon in a seating isn't. I won't touch most fast foods because of the content or lack of nutrients....so is that what you mean by clean?

You can blow a thousand calories in one sitting at mc d ...would I eat there no wayyyyyyy.... Id rather starve first:frown: But if someone wants to eat that once in a while making it fit in their macros....who am I to say nay. I do think it is important to educate ourselves on products, there contents etc. I just won't eat anything...my body deserves the best and soda, BK, artificial sweeteners, McD isn't the best for me. I think wholesome, organic, trying myself not to eat so much even organic processed foods but time time time...anyway hope that answers the question.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ok, I'm obviously having a bad word day lol It comes with the brain damage so let me try again- I really hope this isn't going to come across jerky or mean because I dont feel that way at all. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not phrasing things correctly which would mean I need to call my doctor again. Le sigh. so- here is my question:

What is the official stance of the Eat More To Weigh Less group in regards to clean eating. Is clean eating a requirement of the Eat More To Weigh Less plan? When people ask me about Eat More To Weigh Less and ask 'do I have to eat clean'- what do I tell them the OFFICIAL stance is?

I know what I think, I know we can all have different opinions and plans- but what is the official 'ruling' on clean eating and the EM2WL plan/lifestyle/goodness?

I would say that we believe we should try to eat wholesome healthy foods as much as possible but do enjoy personal delicacies within reason to make sure we stay within macro goals....does that answer work?
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I've been trying to eat clean ad em2wl ....must say most days eating more is much ezr than eating entirely clean. One q.... What are "stickies" and where do I find them
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Awesome post. I've been trying to eat clean ad em2wl ....must say most days eating more is much ezr than eating entirely clean. One q.... What are "stickies" and where do I find them

Hiya :)

Stickies are posts that are kept 'stuck' to the top of the discussion page. If you're using the web program and not a phone- scroll up to where you see Message Boards--Eat more to weigh less--discussion--title of post.
    Click on Discussion and you'll hit the main discussion page- stickies have a nifty little icon next to them. There are a lot of them- but they're really chock full of great info!
  • gemiwing
    Options

I would say that we believe we should try to eat wholesome healthy foods as much as possible but do enjoy personal delicacies within reason to make sure we stay within macro goals....does that answer work?

I think so- I want to make sure I get it.

EM2WL's rule on food is to eat healthy food within macro goals. Treats are ok.

I'm really having a hard time here- I may just need to put this down for the day and come back tomorrow.

Because my first question is what's healthy changes to each person so how to keep the levels across the board? Are we a 'if it fits your macros' group? Healthy to some is no grains- that's not a clean food. Cheese- not a clean food. I guess I'm struggling with these terms that I can't get a grip on and I am looking from the group- some sort of firm stance on clean food and what that definition OFFICIALLY is. (obviously we are free to do our own thing but I really want to know what the official stance is)

If there is no firm stance on 'clean' eating- that's fine too! I'm fine with that- but I keep feeling that I'm missing something here in this group. I thought it was about food and fueling ourselves but there's this undercurrent of what is 'good' food and what isn't. It's confusing me and making me nervous.