"You don't need to lose weight"

Options

Replies

• Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I respond by agreeing with them, and saying I know I'm pretty much OK - but Ito stay like this and maintain how I look this is how I have to eat and exercise.
    I go on to explain that I've lived like this for so long that if I stop and relax I'm terrified of ballooning in size and now I'm getting older it's getting harder and harder to stay at a weight I am happy with.
  • stlinares
    stlinares Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm honest about it. I usually reply: "I know but I like to be thin" :)
  • ninawisconsin0729
    Options
    Next time you're at the doctor, talk to her/him about your plan. If she thinks what you're doing is healthy, you can always use, "My doctor agrees this is what's right for me." That quiets even the most persistent commenter.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I usually tell people I need to stay on top of things or else I'll balloon up (which is true). I might not be fat right now, but I can't do whatever I want and expect to stay this way.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Depends on WHO says it to me but...

My BFF when she says it I look at her and say.... Then neither do you. With a little wink. (She needs to lose about 50 lbs.)

When my Mom says it.... I say OH Mommy Dearest I love you but yes, I def do. This usually leads to a conversation about health weight and life style choices.

When my Daddy says it.... I say thank you. You've always been my biggest fan.

BF he just gets a little "I love you."

Anyone else gets my standard.... "Shows how much you know!" LOL
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I always tell people I am just trying to reach my pre-pregnancy weight. Since most of them knew me before I had kids and knew that was a healthy weight, it's a little hard for them to argue that I shouldn't be trying to reach it lol.
    I agree with other posters, people are reacting to their own sense of fear about how they look. The people who encourage me to lose are those who have also strived to maintain a healthy weight. They get it.
    But in general I never ever complain in front of others about my body, I remember when I was larger I just wanted to slap those skinny &%$#s!!!
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time. What's wrong with me wanting to be the best me? They know that deep down inside they want to be"skinny" like me and that is why they make their comments.

When people say this I either try to laugh it off and not comment or I say yeah I think I look great but I want to tone up or get my stomach a little flatter. They usually say me too and then we talk about how they can achieve this. I end up offering my support for them when they want to begin. It usually always turns around because it was their insecurities in the first place, not mine.
  • balancedhealth
    Options
    I just say that I'm trying to eat clean and healthy. If it's a good friend, I explain that I hide it well in clothes but I could stand to lose a few lbs believe me.
  • koalabanana
    koalabanana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have come to the point where I just never disclose any information about my eating habits. I never tell friends that I am watching my figure (bar a 2-3 people who know and understand my full story), because if I do mention anything about wanting to get into shape, I get soooo much abuse for it!
    So it's come to the point where I just DON'T say I am on a diet, if someone says 'you've lost weight, have you been dieting?' I just reply with a simple no :) It's such a shame that I can't share my success with others but the jealousy that comes with it is just insane!
    However I have got into situations where others have really pressured me into talking about my eating habits, so I try and explain that when I put on weight and reached 130 lbs, none of my clothes fit me anymore, I was still a healthy BMI but I was overweight for ME and for my usual figure. I usually question them, and say:
    'if your jeans won't zip up anymore, would you be worried, or would you happily just buy a bigger size?'

and it usually shuts them up! But it's a shame that I have to talk through my whole body life story so they understand that I am not doing anything unhealthy, and I don't have an eating disorder, I just want to look as good as possible :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have come to the point where I just never disclose any information about my eating habits. I never tell friends that I am watching my figure (bar a 2-3 people who know and understand my full story), because if I do mention anything about wanting to get into shape, I get soooo much abuse for it!
    So it's come to the point where I just DON'T say I am on a diet, if someone says 'you've lost weight, have you been dieting?' I just reply with a simple no :) It's such a shame that I can't share my success with others but the jealousy that comes with it is just insane!
    However I have got into situations where others have really pressured me into talking about my eating habits, so I try and explain that when I put on weight and reached 130 lbs, none of my clothes fit me anymore, I was still a healthy BMI but I was overweight for ME and for my usual figure. I usually question them, and say:
    'if your jeans won't zip up anymore, would you be worried, or would you happily just buy a bigger size?'

and it usually shuts them up! But it's a shame that I have to talk through my whole body life story so they understand that I am not doing anything unhealthy, and I don't have an eating disorder, I just want to look as good as possible :)

Although I know it is frustrating to constantly get berated/questioned for your HEALTHY eating habits (what a world, right? :grumble:), I REALLY don't think the answer to it is lying or avoiding it. I mean yeah it is polite sometimes to just not get into it, but I think it is important for all of us to set an example as people who aren't just happy with being a little bit overweight, that want to strive for that extra mile. Just think, by speaking up we very well could inspire someone else to work a little harder and not settle for mediocrity! I don't think you should get preachy about it, but for gooness sake if people ask, answer as simply and TRUTHFULLY as you can. If they ask more keep answering, if they don't, leave it alone. If they berate/pressure you THAT is the point where you can be short with them and tell them to butt out. :wink:

I do know how you feel though, sometimes it is just easier to avoid it all together. But maybe if enough of us stick up for ourselves and HAVE that conversation, it will make it easier for others in the future to do what we are doing. :flowerforyou:
  • lexingtonjane
    lexingtonjane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tell them that its all maintenance from here because I don't want to hear their opinions. Its like people want us to quit right when were at the home stretch. Heck no! All the way!
  • bongbunny
    bongbunny Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've found that weight loss/diet, along with politics and religion, are subjects best to just be avoided. I've been approached many times regarding my weight (and not always in a nice way) and I simply tell them I will not discuss it with them. All food and diet talk is squashed - immediatly. And I do not care if it comes across as rude. It's not anyone's place to comment on my body, just as it's not my place to comment on theirs.

The last time I was told me to eat more, I not-so-kindly replied they would benefit from eating a bit less. I think they got the point.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Although I know it is frustrating to constantly get berated/questioned for your HEALTHY eating habits (what a world, right? :grumble:), I REALLY don't think the answer to it is lying or avoiding it. I mean yeah it is polite sometimes to just not get into it, but I think it is important for all of us to set an example as people who aren't just happy with being a little bit overweight, that want to strive for that extra mile. Just think, by speaking up we very well could inspire someone else to work a little harder and not settle for mediocrity! I don't think you should get preachy about it, but for gooness sake if people ask, answer as simply and TRUTHFULLY as you can. If they ask more keep answering, if they don't, leave it alone. If they berate/pressure you THAT is the point where you can be short with them and tell them to butt out. :wink:

I do know how you feel though, sometimes it is just easier to avoid it all together. But maybe if enough of us stick up for ourselves and HAVE that conversation, it will make it easier for others in the future to do what we are doing. :flowerforyou:

I agree with this^!! There is another thread in this same discussion called "not-so-heavy-neighbors" and after reading both of these posts it's got me thinking- many people are SO complacent about their weight, and it really is unhealthy. There is a woman I work with who I absolutely love, she is so much fun but very overweight, and I'm guessing obese. We did a presentation together yesterday and she was getting out of breath during her part, just because she is overweight. It is sad to me that she doesn't seem to care how much she's hurting her body. I guess what I'm trying to say is that by defending the fact that humans are supposed to be slim and trim, and that it's really not OK to be obese. I notice a huge difference running just from 135 to 130 pounds. It proves that we function better and lower weights. Also like jaspninz said for the other guys and girls out there that need some encouragement to realize they can have the body they desire, it just takes a lot of hard work- as we all know ;) !!
  • miumiulolo
    Options
    I hate when people see you eating a healthy clean lunch(maybe a salad or leftovers from a homecooked meal) and they ask you (but it's more of a judging statement) "You're not on a diet are you?" or the "you don't need to lose weight, you better not be on a diet" and then they try to feed you cake at every second they can. I mainly just ignore people now, I got used to it after being a vegetarian for 6.5 years. I began eating meat again and then had to deal with the "you've come back to the dark side" or "do you feel better, you looked pale before" guess what I'm always pale! People will always have something to say (no matter what!), learning to ignore them or let it slide is the best in my opinion, and what's most important is that you are doing what is important to you and being healthy.
  • koalabanana
    koalabanana Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Yeah I am totally up for sticking up for our HEALTHY lifestyles, if it's someone in a close friendship circle then I will delve into things if they ask. However if it's a friend who I see every now and then, it's easier not to get into it, coz they aren't very supportive :) Usually I find it's easier to talk to people who are also 'not that heavy' :)
  • cloudbunny17
    cloudbunny17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think they are just jealous and want to keep me fat so they look skinnier. It may seem paranoid, but it's true.

OMG I just said the same exact thing to my sister, so true
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    OH my gosh I know.

I never take it as an offense. I say thank you.

Yet in my mind I know why I am doing this and it is to please myself when I look in the mirror not others. Although that is a nice side effect I suppose. People who just downright tell me I'm nuts for wanting to lose weight usually have fitness problems with themselves and are embarassed to think if they are bigger than I am what that means to them and their health/appearence.
  • masked_habit
    Options
    I think they say that to be nice, lol. That's my guess. I'm not fat but I did get a little chubby over the year and I look WAY different from when I was 120 and now I am around 135-137.

I am in the same boat! I gained weight at school. I just tell people that I love to run or that I like being healthy.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't mention to anyone but my close family and two good friends that I'm trying to lose weight. I especially don't mention it those that didn't know me before I lost 40lbs. It's an uncomfortable subject because I do work with women who are much larger and they already think I'm too skinny.

For me it's about being healthier, stronger and not settling for being skinny but jiggly.
  • DawnAnonymous
    Options
    I always get that from my family...especially because I tend to be the petite one. They don't get that ten pounds on me makes a bigger difference than ten pounds on someone who is already pushing 200.

I tell them, "It's preventive maintenance."