I'm OFF next week. What should I do?

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
So I leave this Saturday to see my family in Ohio for a week. I have no idea what I should do. Should I use it as a week of total rest? I just started New Rules yesterday, and have met twice with a trainer who is going to be giving me a plan this week. Should I just walk for cardio and find a gym to keep New Rules of Lifting going? No idea how to use this week to my advantage? Thanks!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Total rest at TDEE.
    Enjoy it!
    Just remember, your muscles wont fall off!
    In fact youll probably blow any water weight and get leaner.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks Dan! The one thing that throws a wrench in this plan is I just gained 11lbs doing "eat more to weigh less". I was eating 2500+ and now nothing fits and I just want to lose what I gained. I'll be happy at 153! I just want to fit into my Summer clothes! So eating at my TDEE (2900-3000) (Via BMF) probably won't help me with that. LOL! I've been trying to keep it around 1800-2200.
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan! The one thing that throws a wrench in this plan is I just gained 11lbs doing "eat more to weigh less". I was eating 2500+ and now nothing fits and I just want to lose what I gained. I'll be happy at 153! I just want to fit into my Summer clothes! So eating at my TDEE (2900-3000) (Via BMF) probably won't help me with that. LOL! I've been trying to keep it around 1800-2200.

It might surprise you - I think we started around the same time, and I've been eating at my cut and seeing no results as well..I went to the beach for 4 days and ate at and above my TDEE, with no exercise and lost a pound. I think you should just eat the same amount you are now, don't workout and enjoy the rest!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    Rest, girlfriend. When even your job includes regular workouts, you deserve to take a week and do only what you feel like.
    Your body will probably thank you for it!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Canada in August for 10 days, and I plan on getting a temporary gym membership while I'm there as well as bringing my bands, my laptop and DVDs. I'll do what I can but will try not to freak out if I can't do much!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Take some rest. I think you deserve and need it.
    And I also agree to give it a go and eat at your TDEE for this week. You might be surprised.....
    I had to up my cals to 2600 and I probably don't even workout half what you do.
    I know you don't want to hear it, but this is how it works.
  • graysmom2005
    Options

It might surprise you - I think we started around the same time, and I've been eating at my cut and seeing no results as well..I went to the beach for 4 days and ate at and above my TDEE, with no exercise and lost a pound. I think you should just eat the same amount you are now, don't workout and enjoy the rest!
    I guess there is another wrench in this situation. My parents. LOL! They don't eat very much. My mom is/was a Jenny Craig person and they eat very low cal. So I don't know how I could even make it to TDEE if I tried. They eat very healthy...but low cal. I can get some higher cal yogurt etc...but I'm usually rocking around 1600 cals when I'm in Ohio with them, with a couple of ice creams and a trip to Dewey's pizza in there. LOL
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I guess there is another wrench in this situation. My parents. LOL! They don't eat very much. My mom is/was a Jenny Craig person and they eat very low cal. So I don't know how I could even make it to TDEE if I tried. They eat very healthy...but low cal. I can get some higher cal yogurt etc...but I'm usually rocking around 1600 cals when I'm in Ohio with them, with a couple of ice creams and a trip to Dewey's pizza in there. LOL
    Lol that might be a problem. Enjoy the week nevertheless!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options

Sounds like you're going to be STARVING now that you're used to eating more! :)
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this week. On vacation in MI and trying to decide what to do. I am sitting here this minute thinking do I want to go workout or not?!?!?:laugh:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy and still get in your calories. Go to the store and stock up on full fat yogourt, cheese, eggs, tuna and all the usual foods you like to eat. Just have larger portions at dinner. As long as you are eating healthy foods you can get your calories in. I would assume that you can continue to track while you are there so do so.

As for the exercise aspect, you may not be able to do your lifting per se but your trainer may be able to give you a program using your body weight, lunges, squats, planks, push ups, tri cep dips using something stable, use a couple of large cans or bottles to mimic weights for some bicep curls, crunches. None of these require machines or a large gym. And you can use a soda bottle or large can as a free weight. And you can also do some walking to keep some burn going, not super cardio of course but it is good to walk to keep the furnace burning so to speak.

Have a wonderful vacation! Have fun! Enjoy some decadent desserts too!:drinker: :happy:
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think you should take a total rest week since you think it is going to be tough getting calories in anyway. Watch your BMF and eat those calories. You will have so much less activity, you might actually enjoy eating your daily burn :)

Let us know what you decide, I know we all have trouble determining what to do over vacation.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think it should be a total rest week at TDEE as well.

Bring along some meal replacement bars, they can range anywhere from 200-500 calories. Just throw a box or 2 in your suitcase as well as a bag of almonds to snack on.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Good ideas. I'll grab some think thin bars. I wanted to maybe just walk the dog and lift 3 times. Would that be too much?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Id agree with the total rest week too.. especially considering your job requires you to workout on a daily basis. your body will probably thank you for the chance to completely rest..

I agree with the others too, just because your parents eat light, doesnt mean you have to!! Head to the grocery store when there and get some stuff for you to have.., get some protein bars and shakes to help you get those cals in as well.. And enjoy the time away!!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    REST! Just watch your eating, don't go crazy, but ENJOY YOURSELF!!! You go hard all the time, I'm sure your body will welcome the break.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    *sigh* I wish it was that easy. My mom in particular is very weight conscience. When I mentioned that I gained this weight she gasped and sounded horrified. I was heavy as a teenager and for most of my life and I was always mildly hounded about it. They always seemed concerned about my weight and I was always very self conscience about it. I know we will have many discussions while I'm there about how I can lose this "weight" that I gained. I know I will be looked at through judgmental eyes...so just sitting there and eating a bunch of extra food in front of them is very anxiety provoking as I know they will be judging and not approving of it. I know they will be looking at me as having made a failure by gaining these 11 pounds. :-(
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If its a vacation I would treat it as one, bum around on the couch, if you grew up there I am sure you still know some people in town go out and have some fun.. Just keep in mind the calories when eating different kind of foods is what I would say. Its only a week, then when you get back its back to work.. give yourself a mental break we all need one, plus the rest week may help give your body that rest period it needs so that when you go back to your routine you may see some quicker results.