Training inspiration

Options
ozzy_q
ozzy_q Posts: 47 Member
Hey guys,

One of my biggest problems with all this is staying motivated with excercising.
At the moment I'm doing weight training at the gym as well as runni g for cardio.
But that stuff can get repetitive and that's when I start to lose
Motivation. Any tips on ways to keep your training fresh and interesting?

Feel free to add me too

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Try more functional training, as well as participate in specific sports. Nothing wrong with the gym, but I recommend getting outside and doing active things. Some examples: Ride a bike, climb a mountain, paddle a boat, lift and throw heavy stuff, run sprints (run from the zombies if it helps), do sled drags, and use tools like axes, sledge hammers, saws, or basically anything that requires effort. I see your photo is out in nature. Wilderness running would be a great activity! Make it fun when you do it... Stalk "prey" through the woods, sprint all out through the brush to try to catch your prey, etc.
  • ozzy_q
    Options
    all great ideas, I do do allot of running outside the gym as well, i try to run around the lake near where I live at least twice a week.
    Tackling a mountain is a great idea - I think I will give that a go soon.

as for specific sports, I'd love too but the time commitment to a specific time each week is hard with work pressures. at least with the gym/running i can do it when it suits me.

Thanks for the ideas, im definitly going to try the wilderness running/mountain hiking ideas
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You might also want to run through your strength training as a circuit instead of 3 consecutive sets of one exercise followed by 3 consecutive sets of a second, etc.
  • ozzy_q
    Options
    You might also want to run through your strength training as a circuit instead of 3 consecutive sets of one exercise followed by 3 consecutive sets of a second, etc.
    That is a great idea
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Try setting a specific goal (or goals) to work towards. Track everything. Start a challenge on MFP and post your daily progress (along with all of your friends that join you in the challenge) like 100 miles in June, etc.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    anybody ever do the old armed forces workout video that was out years ago????
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    anybody ever do the old armed forces workout video that was out years ago????

Can't say I have, but it you want a military inspired workout plan, Stu Smith is the guy: http://www.stewsmith.com/
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    ok peeps check this out..tires..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEk5QqgYv_k
  • FootPatrol
    Options
    Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, or any other mudrun/ obstacle course race near you. Most are great. I enjoyed the two I mentioned. Plus I search online deal sites, and buy 1 month at a time coupons for gyms, like boxing and BJJ. I did find a full time boxing gym by my house that I go to now, which I really like. Cardio Boxing is a nice workout.